DIY- Injector Seals / Pintle Cap Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY- Injector Seals / Pintle Cap Replacement

This is something I've meant to post for long while, as it was something that was simple but difficult to do properly.

Injector seals are bitch to stretch over the caps, and you risk damaging both the caps and the seal trying to stretch them. Pintle caps are meant to be installed only once, and they get slightly loose once uninstalled. It's not recommended to reuse the pintle caps, but if you do, use good judgement. I've felt some slip around and some that come off easily. I'm fairly certain the intake valve or combustion chamber would enjoy gobbling it up, and you would have one happy motor:tsk:. I recommend you replace the caps, period. I will take no responsibility for anything you, or God, or the wind, or whatever decided to do to your car.

I destroyed the pintle caps of many injectors before, attempting to get the seal off, or just to get a cap off to use on another injector. This is what I have come up with.

----------------------------------------------------------

Fuel rail (top) seal is easy, just pick it out and replace. Use grease for orings when installing, makes things easier.

Pintle cap and bottom o-ring replacement.

1. Line up a razor blade right in between the slot in the cap, on top of the old o-ring.

2. Push it down till it hits the plastic washer.

3. Use a screwdriver or pick to peel the seal off.

4. I used a box wrench that fits snugly under the cap and around the nozzle of the injector, which was a harbor 5/16 wrench. Put it between the body of the injector and the plastic washer. Methinks the washer is there for this purpose, or maybe a spacer..just thinking aloud.

5. Gently pry up and down in a wiggling motion until you work the cap off. You will see the torn rim of plastic from inside the cap, when it comes off--this is why they are one time use.

6. The stack order, with the new o-ring, and hopefully a new pintle cap. Mines old for demonstration purposes.

7. Place them on the injector in the right order, then put the injector nozzle down on a flat surface.

8. Push down on the injector. Everything will snap into place.

9. Complete Injector

BTW, slightly OT cause I'm looking at my own pics: I use virgin cotton white rags in my shop cause I have loads and loads of them. My father owns a clothing mfg company, and these are the cutoffs which are usually discarded. Extra thick, usually all cotton, sometimes blends, clean, undyed PFD. If anyone wants a 5lb box of premium white rags, send $20 to derek@dedericms.com and title "rags". These are way better than those bleached used t-shirt boxes of rags. I use them for polishing and waxing as well, as they shine things up real good. They wash like clothes, so they are reuseable and only get better (more absorbent) each time you wash them.

Derek
    DedericMS
    Last edited by blueapplesoda; 04-18-2015, 03:11 PM.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Thanks, I am just about to do this.

Comment

Awesome bro. And I might take you up on the rag offer...
      ///Z

1988 BMW 325 Super Eta - Elsa

"i"CONVERSIONWARchip&3.0MAF3.73LSDBBSRSsSMILIES"is"SPOILER+LIPHOUNDSTOOTHSHORTSHIFTERPLASTICBUMPERCONVERSIONEtc.

Sell Me Your SCHWARZ FENDERS!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
      ^ Nothing you post makes any sense.

Comment

I did this for my swap. Very easy job and no one should be afraid to do it. Excellent write-up.
        2008 335i - n54b30
        1991 318i - m52b28
        1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Nice write up - just paypaled for those rags

Comment

Exactly how I did it a few months ago. If you replace the seal and not the pintle, roll the seal over the pintle and it shouldn't break those plastic fins.
            E30 buildy things
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

You could also replace the filters at the same time, it takes no time.

J

Comment

what o-ring number is it? Thanks
                "I wanna see da boat movie"
                "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Blueapplesoda; where do you recommend purchasing the service kits for these injectors... I've been searching using their Bosch part number and can only find service kits for them on ebay. Have you purchased any that they are selling on ebay, or did you simply call up Bosch?

Thanks
                  Last edited by Gatts; 02-25-2012, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I got mine's from www.injector-rehab.com

J

Comment

Did you use the cap in the kit or did you have to use the larger one that is separate?

Comment

it would be nice to clean the whole thing first, then remove the replaceable stuff, and it would be more effective if you replaced the filters as well.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                        ---------------------------------
                        89 E30 S52
                        ---------------------------------
                        Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Thanks slippery. Just ordered some of their rebuild kits. If anyone here would like to see their kits when they arrive I'll be glad to post up some pics along with my opinion of their quality. It doesn't say what material their o-rings are... Viton would be nice.
                          Last edited by Gatts; 02-25-2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

This eBay guy has all the info for what he is selling. You can get old style, design 2, and design 3 parts from him.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                            PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

That's where I got my kit from. The guy is mad helpful.
                              2008 335i - n54b30
                              1991 318i - m52b28
                              1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Working...
                              X