Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JGood View Post
    Nice...

It's hard to imagine how you got along without it now, isn't it?

Garey

Comment

Yep. I've found myself saying that about almost every tool I've bought recently!

By far though, my favorite tool for this 'restoration' has been my 4-1/2" angle grinder. Another $20 HF special, I have at least 200 hours on it, still working like new.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
        Yep. I've found myself saying that about almost every tool I've bought recently!

By far though, my favorite tool for this 'restoration' has been my 4-1/2" angle grinder. Another $20 HF special, I have at least 200 hours on it, still working like new.
        Surprisingly, I've only had to replace mine twice... and that's thousands of hours on each one! $20 well spent...

Garey

Comment

Great job justin! I was thinking if cutting and repositioning the 2.75" outer pipe of the headers but instead I bought a 2.5" mandrel bend from jegs.

I also have the 14" cut-off saw. Love it.

Angle grinder slash cutter slash flap wheel slash portable wire wheel has been key......

......but I must say. The best tool I've owned so far is DEFINITELY the rockwell jawhorse . The portable 2 ton vise.
          Recent Rebranding!!
          Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
          E30 SM62/S62
          E30 M60 V8
          E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
          Instagram.com/garageaholic
          Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

My manifolds are pretty much all finished up. I just need to weld the reducers and flanges on the ends, but I'm going to wait until I am ready to run the rest of the exhaust to do that.

I was able to get the passenger side angled down enough to not have to clearance the floorboard.

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

Comment

Good work. I just banged a little bit back on the floorboard to clear it. I left the driver side alone for obvious reasons (acc pedal)

See my build thread in response to your brake booster chk valve. Someone on the forum has got to have it.
              Recent Rebranding!!
              Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
              E30 SM62/S62
              E30 M60 V8
              E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
              Instagram.com/garageaholic
              Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Are the E38 headers much different than the X5 ones? X5 ones are a bit hard to come by (called a couple of JY, no result)

Also, how are you feeing the headers to the engine? From the bottom of the car or from the top of the car? Reason I ask is because it seems like theres no clearance to do either without removing the steering linkage!
                Last edited by lolcantturn; 02-28-2012, 11:47 AM.
                Originally posted by TSI
                ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                OEM+

Comment

They appear to be similar enough that you should probably just get whatever you can find. I got mine on eBay, with cats, for $130 shipped.

You have to install them from the bottom with the steering shaft removed. And even then it's a tight fit, depending on how you build them.

Comment

Ouch I figured....Good job either way!
                    Originally posted by TSI
                    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                    OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                      Are the E38 headers much different than the X5 ones? X5 ones are a bit hard to come by (called a couple of JY, no result)

Also, how are you feeing the headers to the engine? From the bottom of the car or from the top of the car? Reason I ask is because it seems like theres no clearance to do either without removing the steering linkage!
                      The key here is not if they are E38 or not, they need to be M62TU manifolds. E38 had both M62B44 and M62TU depending on the year..

The ones you are seeing here are from the M62TU.
                      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                      X