Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob as hell questions, putting my flame suit on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob as hell questions, putting my flame suit on.

I basically have all the fab skills required to M60 swap my car. Done a couple of 24V swaps. Here we go with the OMG WHICH MOTOR IS BETTER but, as far as debating between an S52 and an M60, which would be most preferable in terms of power, reliablity, MPG, and fun? I'm pretty tired of my M50nv's power and I can pick up an M60 for the same price as many M50's. Phew, ready for the flaming now!
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

M60 requires ALOT more work than s5x. And has the propensity to become more expensive.

Regardless, there are tons of s5x swaps out there. Only a small handful of m6x, so there's a "wow" factor associated with it.

M6x is as reliable as u rebuild it to be. Mpg is "better" than it was in the 540i by shedding almost 1000#.

Just research this sub forum for opinions of the people here. If u have access to an m6x and have the drive and fab skills, then GO FOR IT. God knows there's plenty of how-to documentation to guide u through it on r3v.

I thought there was a thread dedicated to "which is better, s5x or m6x." I'm currently on tapatalk, so i cant find the link to the thread.

In the end you're just comparing apples and oranges. There's no substituting for the torque, the sound and the exclusivity of a v8 in the e30!
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

as far as a "rebuild" goes, I don't think I would be doing one except for replacing all the sensors and upper gaskets (valve cover, intake manifold, etc, except HG).

I'd like to know how it could compare in a straight line with an S52, and then around some bends (with the V8 being heavier and all). I tried searching for a "which is better" thread but nothing came up.
      Originally posted by TSI
      OEM+

Comment

found it

Still want to know the reliablity aspects of an M60...24V motors are basically bulletproof unless you really suck at life. Ive had zero mechanical problems at all owning 3 or some motors..2 of them from the junkyard. Like i said I wouldnt be doing a HG replacement but I'd replace all the upper gaskets and sensors.
        Originally posted by TSI
        OEM+

Comment

Swap in a real motor ....
          E30-LS1 aka. 357is
          email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
          E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
          E30LS1@gmail.com
          e30ls1.com

Comment

Pfft..........american ;)

I wish there was a cheaper/local-er alternative to the 300mm.de mounts.
            Originally posted by TSI
            OEM+

Comment

One more question, as far as oil pan clearance goes, how far below the steering rack does the oil pan hang? I'm M50, the E34 pan is about an inch off the ground and I have a skid plate. Hope its not an issue.
              Originally posted by TSI
              OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                I wish there was a cheaper/local-er alternative to the 300mm.de mounts.
                I just made 2 sets of mounts for R3v members last week... PM me if you're interested. Using my mounts the pan is 1/4" above the lowest point of the subframe. The steering rack mounting bolts hang lower than the pan...

Garey

Comment

Are you serious with these dumb questions that HAVE BEEN COVERED before many times?

If you are thinking about dropping another engine, why not spend some time on BFC in the E34 / and even E38/E39 sections and search / read 540/740 threads?

This will give you a good idea on what you can expect from this engine.

Just saying "ohhiIamanoobandwillaskthesequestionsbecauseIhavem yflamesuiton" is pretty lame, don't you think?

Just stick with a 24v swap.
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

One more question, as far as oil pan clearance goes, how far below the steering rack does the oil pan hang? I'm M50, the E34 pan is about an inch off the ground and I have a skid plate. Hope its not an issue.
                    This tells me you have not A LICK of looking at ALL. In about 30 minutes I am going to finish my tea and I will delete this stupid thread because this is waste of space in the v8 section.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                      This tells me you have not A LICK of looking at ALL. In about 30 minutes I am going to finish my tea and I will delete this stupid thread because this is waste of space in the v8 section.
                      Sorry cantturn, but I agree. I love "V8 swap" sub forum because its a technically dense, extremely informative forum dedicated to people who have already done their " should u do this swap ir not" research.

With that being said, Research.

If you're looking for us to sway you in the right direction, don't do it. If you are going to do it, then do it and give back to the community.
                      Recent Rebranding!!
                      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                      E30 SM62/S62
                      E30 M60 V8
                      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                      Instagram.com/garageaholic
                      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Only questions I see are reliability and weight. With that said my motor went swimming and has had only minor things replaced and is running just fine. Seems pretty reliable to me. As far as weight, +~200lbs.
                        -Josh

M60 E30

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                          Swap in a real motor ....
                          Yes, go for S62 and forget those pushrod pieces of shait..

No probleemo as Garey mentioned.

Originally posted by battlecattle View Post
                          Only questions I see are reliability and weight. With that said my motor went swimming and has had only minor things replaced and is running just fine. Seems pretty reliable to me. As far as weight, +~200lbs.

No reliability problems with M60, just basic maintenance.

Weight-distribution could be even better with a V8 than with a 6-cyl engine. www.bmwfans.info will give you the absolute weights..
                          - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                          - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                          - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                          - E46 318i Touring -
                          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                            I'm in class right now so I can't thank everyone else for their contribution, but don't get your waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles in a knot. I know this forum is rather dense in info but there are still a bit of jumbled threads between V8 swap and M30 and other swaps forum which makes it a little harder to search.
                            Originally posted by TSI
                            OEM+

Comment

to the OP:

If you have fab skills, why would you buy someone else's fabbed motor mounts? Also, isn't the M60 lighter than the S52? It's all aluminum...

And Jean, while I agree with you, it does seem like a quick and angry response. I also enjoy the information "density" of this subforum, and the useless drivel that goes on in other subforums does get MY panties in a bunch, that's for sure.

to the OP again, don't get into a pissing contest w/ a moderator. Just do the research, read up until your eyes hurt, and then pick up an M60B40 and get to it. imho, the M60 sounds heavenly, and that coupled w/ the light weight and MORE power and torque than an S52, AND the fact that they cost about 1/10th of an S52, I would say why the hell not??

Comment

Working...
                              X