Problems with modern cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with modern cars

Very enlightening video. Can't say I didn't already know the stuff mentioned in it.

These are exactly the reasons why I struggle to stick with older, simple tech. Sad part is, even a Ford Focus has much of the same tech too.

What say you R3v?
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

I drive a 1991 e30 and 1972 El Camino ..............enough said.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Wife has a 2016 Crosstrek.

It isn't bad really and the tech is a nice touch.

Only real complaint is with the CVT. Shifting from reverse to drive literally takes 3-4 seconds. Incredibly aggravating, especially in busy smaller parking lots.

I will be sticking with older cars personally. I just like the simplicity and the fact that I can understand everything that is going on with the car. But a newer car is excellent for the boring stuff, i.e. roadtrips, etc.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Ford Flex Limited with nearly all the options. I had a water issue warrantied and part of my argument was the concern long term for integrity of the electronics since the water intrusion. Covered for 125,000 miles, gratis. If the heated seats, sensors, cameras, inverter, LED interior mood lighting or anything with electrons acts up..... :)

I prefer simpler. I don't know if modern day cars will become classics like we can enjoy now. You will need so much specialty knowledge, modules/tools/diagnostic gear it may be prohibitive. Learned recently some of the newer MBs (say mid 00's) need some computer work to do a brake job!
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Yes it's part of the oem's trying to tie everyone to them for service and maintenance. Was not that long ago a bunch of the oem's were trying to argue in the courts we don't really own the cars eletorincs and software and owing a scan tool was a breach of the "service agreement" especially if you had the ability to flash the ecms...
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

My 08 C350 had some stupid electrical issue and its normally a dealer only item, but luckily my MB connection are certified MB "locksmiths" so I dont have to pay $180/hr to get stuff fixed and he usually cuts me a big discount on the labor. Its still $130/hr though and will cost me close to a grand to fix.

Honestly the car has been wonderful and though I dont love it like my E30, I do kinda miss it for its comfort. That being said, this incident is strike 2 and if I can find a buyer I might sell it, even if I have to take a small loss. I want to love my cars so when stuff like this happens I just see it as part of our journey. So now Ive been looking at M52/ M54 clownshoes as a replacement daily, even considering an auto. I never thought I would want an automatic but for a daily, it really is a nice thing to not have to continually engage the clutch. Maybe Im just getting old....
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

First car I owned/drove was an e30 in 2007, drove it, and others daily until I bought a Genesis Coupe in 2013. Drove it for three years, got super over it, sold it, bought another e30 and haven't looked back since.
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Ive been thinking it would be nice to have an E30 to daily in addition to the E30 to race, but its hard to justify when my "racecar" E30 would get better mpg than the daily driver. There is some modern tech that is worth it.

Hence why the clownshoe M52/54 as a daily. Its basically a swapped E30 hatch. The other car I have been considering is a 318ti, but then I would want to put a M52 in it and I really dont want to deal with swapping motors on a daily driver
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Ever since I stopped DDing my e39, I realized just how bad an m20 is on gas, especially driving around town. It's just too damn fun to drive an e30 around everyday haha.

Just do a m5x swap e30 for a perfect DD ;)
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Lol try dding around a fzj80 if your bitching about m20 mileage
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

I agree with the points brought up in the video. I really don't like the integration of many vehicle systems into the touchscreens. The E60 is a great example, that shit is so old now and it really feels like it. My dad has an 08 135i that is a great car, except that the satnav system looks like it's old AF (that's because it is).

My wife drives a 2011 Honda Fit 5spd- it's a very bare bones vehicle but that is what I appreciate about it. I can actually work on the thing. I daily a 2012 Beetle Turbo that we bought CPO from the local dealer. It's a base Turbo meaning it doesn't have the nav touch screen system and is a 6spd manual rather than the DSG. I love the fuck out of that car, largely because it has the max amount of tech that I want in a vehicle (read seat heaters and bluetooth connectivity) and allows me to enjoy the car without being distracted by it.

I can't imagine owning two new cars loaded with tech.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

Just do a m5x swap e30 for a perfect DD ;)
                        thats a good idea! :rofl:

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        it just helps your industry out so Im sure you DGAF!
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Seriously, I want to switch to an M20 for its relatively phenomenal gas mileage compared to the pickup. Fucker gets me anywhere, but with oversized tires and a leveling kit, I am lucky to get 12 mpg.
                          My previous build (currently E30-less)
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                            I used to drive an H2 around lol, so I know what the >10 miles a gallon life is like lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

it just helps your industry out so Im sure you DGAF!

I don't give a shit what gas costs, it's gas and I need it to get around. That and even though out most efficient ride is my 3/4 ton duramax at about 18 on the highway unloaded, our carbon foot print is smaller than many of the greenies that buy a new prius everytime they update the preloaded apps in the radio, since we keep our vehicles for a long ass time and don't buy a new one every other year.

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                              X