No announcement yet.

Problems with modern cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My biggest complaint with new cars is that it seems like they're putting huge rims and 35 series rubber even on family sedans. The wife is going to be needing a replacement for Sebring soon and not sure which way to go yet. Needs to be able to handle snow and ice.
    "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
    -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Morrison View Post
      My biggest complaint with new cars is that it seems like they're putting huge rims and 35 series rubber even on family sedans. The wife is going to be needing a replacement for Sebring soon and not sure which way to go yet. Needs to be able to handle snow and ice.
      It's almost like everyone wants a Model T, and we're slowly working our way back to 30" wheels.

Of course, that's banking on the fallacious argument that the OEM makes "what the customer wants," when they actually make whatever the heck they want to and cram it down the dealers' throats, who in turn do the same to the end consumer.

Comment

I've been daily driving e30's for 16 years now. There a lot more fun and I don't need all the useless shit new cars have. My M3 gets 28 mpg on the freeway which I think is pretty damn good and most newer cars don't even get that. Even if I did get worse Mpg I didn't waste 20-30k on a new car! I like to think I have a ton of money to burn on gas since I didn't buy one of those new fancy cars.

Comment

My biggest takeaway from the video was in the first part, where he misspelled "Guage Cluster."

My second biggest takeaway was watching him (?) ham-fist the various touchscreen controls.
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
            My biggest takeaway from the video was in the first part, where he misspelled "Guage Cluster."

My second biggest takeaway was watching him (?) ham-fist the various touchscreen controls.
            I didn't even watch the video until just now. I just came in here to bandwagon hate on modern cars because I hate
            -bloat
            -gadget infestation
            -touch screens
            -modern styling
            -cars that are hard to work on
            Not that I could afford any new car I'd actually want.

I don't pay much attention to typos, everybody makes then. And I think that ham-fisting is the best you can hope for with a touch screen. Also, he mentioned satire in the description so I'll bet some of that ham fisting was played up for the camera.

I'm going to further hate here; Touch screens are a terrible fad and the worst type of interface known to man. No other interface actively dirties the screen as you use it, is as prone to failure, and requires as much attention devoted to it. Just about anything else can be done without looking; manipulating knobs, buttons, switches, sliders, keys, etc. can all be done with touch and memory of the relative location of the control. A touch screen requires you to look at it to use it because there is zero haptic feedback, if you don't look you're just guessing where to take a stab based on proprioception alone. Plus, how often do you hear of someone's touch screen going bad on their phone, tablet, infotainment, etc? It's so common. With physical controls when one goes bad it's usually just one cheap part that needs to be replaced or have a contact cleaned, imagine the expense of having a touch screen replaced in your just-out-of-warranty 2014 Techno-appliancebox, when the digitizer stops responding and you can no longer use much of the functionality of your air conditioning, radio and gps. That's going to be a regular concern for people in the near future, and already is for some.
            Last edited by varg; 12-20-2016, 04:11 PM.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 1-26

Comment

^ Agreed on the touch screen fiasco in the future.

Just another reason why I am sticking with old school tech.
              My previous build (currently E30-less)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Luddites!
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

:roll:
                  If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Working...
                  X