Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FredK View Post
    They are.

A dog is an emotional diversion for your gf.

An FD is a diversion for your mechanical tendencies, except it's like getting a purebred Dalmation without any papers.
    Very true.
    Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
    A Topless Memorandum

Comment

IMO people who want to own a dog while living in an apartment obviously didn't grow up with dogs and get to know them. It's a shit life for a dog to be cooped up in a concrete box for 23 hours of the day and only to be allowed to go outside and crap. Dogs belong outside in a yard with grass and squirrels and dirt. A dog is a living thing and a responsibility, not a cute toy.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

I know, I grew up with 2 dogs. She didn't, perhaps that's why this is such a struggle

Edit: parents currently have 2 dogs, and we always had at least 1 dog in the house since I was 5

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Trying to be the voice of reason here.. How serious is the relationship? I know you mentioned you were leaning towards getting rid of the GF and picking up the FD, but lets be honest. Depending on the relationship and your guy's connection this may be the best relationship for you, the FD is a good thought but you're still plenty young. Plenty of time to pick up that FD when you guys make the move into a bigger place/yard. Plus, working on cars in an apartment complex isn't the best thing ever. Either a dog or project car...not the best idea for your current living situation. Just my .02 - although I envy the guys that are just like fuck it, and do what they want. Lol

I envy the guys that can keep the woman happy, and do what they want with cars. That shit takes skills.
          clutchCTRL!
          Move with a purpose.
          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
          - 2000 323i AT
          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

BTW, I had an AW11 MR2 in laguna blue that I miss dearly.
            clutchCTRL!
            Move with a purpose.
            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
            - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
            - 2000 323i AT
            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
              I envy the guys that can keep the woman happy, and do what they want with cars. That shit takes skills.
              My girl encourages me when it comes to cars because she knows it makes me happy...and I agreed on a second dog because I know it makes her happy.

I recognize every day that I found a keeper. Only problem is, saving money for a ring when I know I need parts for the E30...;D
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                IMO people who want to own a dog while living in an apartment obviously didn't grow up with dogs and get to know them. It's a shit life for a dog to be cooped up in a concrete box for 23 hours of the day and only to be allowed to go outside and crap. Dogs belong outside in a yard with grass and squirrels and dirt. A dog is a living thing and a responsibility, not a cute toy.
                Couldn't agree more.

They need space and freedom to do the things they are born to do.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                  My girl encourages me when it comes to cars because she knows it makes me happy...and I agreed on a second dog because I know it makes her happy.

I recognize every day that I found a keeper. Only problem is, saving money for a ring when I know I need parts for the E30...;D
                  My wife is the same way with me. She is fully supportive of the car nut in me. She knows I need a project in order to maintain my sanity.

Feels good man.
                  My previous build (currently E30-less)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                    Already worried that a dog will limit my ability to travel...
                    ..but not willing to move? You're looking at it wrong.

Get yourself a lab or something sturdy enough to go out hiking/camping/skiing..etc. and go be adventurous. I don't think I've ever seen a decent size dog who DIDN'T want to travel (and I had a Saint Bernard for 10+ years!)

Then when your GF realizes how sh*tty it is to rent in the city, you can find a house to either buy or rent for a hell of a lot less then whatever crappy apartment you are dwelling now. Then theres a good chance you'll have a garage, something that resembles a yard..etc.

Unless you own property or a house, moving is always an option. Rent control is just a smokescreen to making you think you got a good thing going..
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                      My wife is the same way with me. She is fully supportive of the car nut in me. She knows I need a project in order to maintain my sanity.

Feels good man.
                      you've got one of those too, eh? I managed to pick up one of those up about 8 years ago. Early adopter status. Feels good man x2.
                      1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                      2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                      2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                        This is why I took my wife out in the E30 on our first date. Loud exhaust and all... Shes helped me with a bunch of my car stuff whether its buying me racing gloves for christmas, picking up my bumpers, letting me stuff a roll bar in her SUV. Its why I spent enough money on her ring that couldve bought a nice E30.

QFT

@OP start with a small project, like building a rotary motor and then getting an FD later on down the road.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

If want to travel, the hell you doing renting in the Bay Area? I hope you two are making amazing money there, or saving, but statistically it's an expensive place to live. Even if you're in a shoe box. I don't know your financial situation, but I hope it's worth it to you two.

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                          Unless it's a small dog but i mean..... why would anyone want one of those things.

Save your money and smack her with your meat bat. THat way you will both be happy
                          Any dog less than 50 lbs is a cat, and cats are useless.

/adapted and changed Ron Swanson quote.

That said, the ~40lb range of shepherd mixes are awesome dogs. And I've encountered a few cats that are awesome, but not go-on-an-adventure-together awesome.

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          This.
                          Last edited by DEV0 E30; 12-28-2016, 09:35 AM.
                          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Only problem is, saving money for a ring when I know I need parts for the E30...;D
                            Buy the ring on Etsy and save a fortune. I only spent $1400 on an engagement ring/wedding band set that doesn't look like every other engagement ring out there.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                            Transaction feedback
                            - jpod999

Comment

Happy wife / Happy life. Buy the dog and work on the car later. She comes first bro. I always put my wife first and i get what i want later. It always happens that way everytime,it never fails . My wife always supports me when it comes to car stuff,she is the one that encouraged me to get the 1972 El Camino that we have now. ;) ;) ;).
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                                If want to travel, the hell you doing renting in the Bay Area? I hope you two are making amazing money there, or saving, but statistically it's an expensive place to live. Even if you're in a shoe box. I don't know your financial situation, but I hope it's worth it to you two.
                                I really shouldn't move..

I have a 2 bedroom apartment in downtown SF for $1500 a month, and I rent out one of the rooms for $1000 a month to a student. My/our room costs me ~$600 a month after expenses, and we split that. Rent control is awesome, and that's why I can't justify moving.

I can easily find a friend to live in my room and cover rent while I'm away, that's never been a problem. I'm also self employed, and 100% of the time I'm working from home, apart from a few conferences every year. Been thinking about moving to Sri Lanka or somewhere crazy cheap for a while to really save up, and work/travel at the same time. It's not quite realistic yet, but it's getting there.

Finding a good FD is getting harder and more expensive every year. At some point I'll decide it's no longer worth it. I no longer feel like a nice E30 M3 is worth the money people are asking when you look at what else is available for ~$30k. I'm feeling the time crunch on this one.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                @OP start with a small project, like building a rotary motor and then getting an FD later on down the road.
                                That might be the answer. Build it, then find a roller or one with a blown motor.

MTech vert will be "finished" in the next couple of months, and I'm already getting antsy for something else.

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Working...
                                X