IF YOUR OIL PAN BREAKS, STOP DRIVING!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lordofmpower
    Alright well i'll jump right back on it and have something worked up as soon as i get some damn time.

BTW: DONT BUY A LAND ROVER WITHOUT CASH FOR PARTS MY FUEL PUMP JUST COST ME $411.68 I MEAN COME ON ITS A FUCKING FUEL PUMP FOR A BUICK V8, NOT A SPACE SHUTTLE

SORRY HAD TO RANT
    You da man. We shall be waiting.

I'm terribly sorry, but funny comparison I must say.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I actually worked on a car last week with a similar problem.

It came to us with a no-start motor, and the lower half of the m20 oil pan missing.

I tore the motor down and found out several things. Seems the owner jumped a curb, tore off the entire lower section of the oil pan, also bent the oil pump/pickup back.

He just kept driving, ignoring the blaring red oil can light. Don't know how far he made it but I will tell you this. When I tore the motor apart NO OIL was spilled anywhere. Even the oil cooler and filter were bone dry. Hardly a oil film, let alone enough to produce a single drip.

The camshaft was the first to go. It seized in the main bearing, galling the living shit out of the head. The head has literily melted to the cam. I was unable to drive the cam out of the head, even with a 4lb sledge! When the cam seized the 45,000mile timing belt snapped and took a bunch of valves with it.

Moron.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan

It came to us with a no-start motor, and the lower half of the m20 oil pan missing.

I tore the motor down and found out several things. Seems the owner jumped a curb, tore off the entire lower section of the oil pan, also bent the oil pump/pickup back.

He just kept driving, ignoring the blaring red oil can light. Don't know how far he made it but I will tell you this. When I tore the motor apart NO OIL was spilled anywhere. Even the oil cooler and filter were bone dry. Hardly a oil film, let alone enough to produce a single drip.

The camshaft was the first to go. It seized in the main bearing, galling the living shit out of the head. The head has literily melted to the cam. I was unable to drive the cam out of the head, even with a 4lb sledge! When the cam seized the 45,000mile timing belt snapped and took a bunch of valves with it.

Moron.
        If there was an R3V Dumbshit award plaque, this guy definately deserves one.
        Rides...
        1991 325i - sold :(
        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i

Moron.
          If there was an R3V Dumbshit award plaque, this guy definately deserves one.
          RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
          Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
          DaveCN = Old Man
          My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
          If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Moron.
            C'mon, you gotta get pics of that.

-Charlie
            Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
            '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
            FYYFF

Comment

I would say pics or ban, but you can't really be banned so...

"Pics or we will be very agitated"

Comment

When I'm at work I'm generally working. I don't have/find time to screw off.

The block is buried in a pile of scrap anyways.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Jordan -I should take pics of my civic motor lol. This thing is sllaammmmeeeddd

The motor was in similar shape, I won't describe it again i think I've already typed it out a few times on here. but pieces of the rod were shooting through the oil pan & block. pretty
                  Originally posted by blunt
                  can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

We have run across m20 damage like that here. Funny how the owners always lie about how far they drove after the incident. They seem to think if we think they stopped right away, the damage will be less? Maybe they don't want us to yell at them for having a dumb attack! The overheaters are worse. "It never went all the way into the red". That's my favorite one as I stand there looking at molten German metal. Whatever, you still have to write me a check. I don't care how far you drove it. The farther the drive, the bigger the check. :twisted:
                    1988 Alpine white M3
                    1985 Delphin gray 323i, "Junkyard Dog"

Comment

Originally posted by oh2fly
                      "It never went all the way into the red". That's my favorite one as I stand there looking at molten German metal.
                      This is always the BEST line. I usually get "It was in the red for 2 seconds MAX." After I see the head is cracked in a million places, I ask for the real story. "I drove 10 miles with it BURIED in the red."

Sweet. $$.

Comment

They should make a sensor that senses stupid people and kills them. Think of that motor locking up on the freeway at 5:15 in the afternoon in front of you......because some a-hole thinks they can make it home.

Comment

Moron.
                          :D hahaha,come on,you re being bad! :rofl:
                          N.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally Posted by aaron_silva
                          It is always frustrating having a harsh ride when
                          you arent in the right mind set.

Comment

Well, another M20 was lost yesterday when an '89 325iS got towed into my dealership...
                            This girl was driving and said she had her music up really loud. Didn't hear the impact that took out a 2"x3" hole in her oil pan, she kept driving until the motor "stalled out". Thats when she pulled over and said there was smoke and oil comming from the engine bay.
                            Needless to say, it needs a new engine. And lucky me, they actually bought a new one and I start on it today. I will snap some pics of the block, I am pretty sure it threw a rod...
                            '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
                            '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
                            '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                            iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
                            sigpic

Comment

one of my friends got a blown VR6 for cheap because some dimwit drove over a manhole that stuck out 4 or 5 inches from the ground in a construction zone and kept on going... they had removed some asphalt in order to put on a fresh layer. Now the guy must have been driving a little bit too fast in his lowered VW and slammed right into the protruding manhole... but that's not why I believe he's an idiot (I mean accidents happen...) He actually pulled over and saw that his oil pan was pretty much dead... he then went to the closest "Canadian Tire" store to buy some urethane to try and plug the hole in the pan (uhhhh yeah nice try!!) and proceeded to drive home.

He got back home but his VR6 was not a happy camper! There was no oil left in the engine and the crankshaft, conrod bearings and connecting rods had become "one"!! :shock:

So I guess he learned two things from this... "urethane will not fix everything" and "when there's a hole in your oil pan... stop and call a towing"

Comment

1 week after I had my 2.8 m20 running, I bottomed out going into a construction site
                                after dark where they had ripped the pavement up. It was a 3" drop from blacktop to
                                gravel at 70km/h (45mph) which in the end split my pan in half.

I didnt wreck the motor as I turned it off right away, but there was a hefty towing bill
                                and a late night putting another pan in...

Now my current e30 is even lower, and on its 2nd pan...skid plate?
                                Silence is Golden, Duct Tape is Silver
                                Duct Tape...turning No No No into Mmm Mmm Mmm since 1942

Comment

Working...
                                X