What's right for me, and how do I find it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
    Personal opinion is to skip the 318i and get a 325i or 325is. I couldn't deal with less power than I have and the engine is much simpler to work with. 1989 seems to be the go to year. No airbags but has the facelift plastic bumpers. Mine is a late '91 325i with all of the sport options added including the one year only side skirts. I fell in love with it the second I drove it, and that was back when it was still auto transmission. Try and get a car without rust and has been taken care of, that's very important.
    I dont love the M42, but if hes really driving an M5.. Will it really matter to him much if an E30 makes only 400 rather than 430 less hp than hes used to?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      I dont love the M42, but if hes really driving an M5.. Will it really matter to him much if an E30 makes only 400 rather than 430 less hp than hes used to?
      People spend money on K&N air filter to get "supposedly" a few horse power improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by E30-JHS View Post
        I would prefer a 318i or is and I would want it to be realitivly untouched in the modification aspect. I would want a car true to itself.
        Get the romance about owning vintage BMW out of your head. These cars are old, they need work, and can be a handful if you can't take care of a few things yourself. I'd even recommend an e36 before you get an e30; far superior car for way less money up front.

In either car, skip the disappointment of the 4 cyl motors. Gas mileage is less than stellar and they're so horribly slow.

Look for a car that already has most of the upgrades you want in it.

Don't pay anything near asking price for a car on stock 20 yr+ old suspension

Look for a car with receipts for maintenance on the driveline.

Don't buy a car with a gross interior.

Look for rust in the battery tray, front windshield area, frame rails, rocker panels & floor pans.

Last but not least, don't be scared to spend a little more on a car that is well taken care of. Sure you could get a cheaper example now, but it will cost you later if you decide to hang onto it.

If you're close to South Orange NJ, pass by a shop called Guten Parts & Service. They can point you in the right direction.

Best of luck!
        -Galen
        Last edited by bataangpinoy; 12-14-2016, 09:40 AM.
        My feedback:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
        @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

Working...
        X