No announcement yet.

Why yellow "Frenched" headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like how they look on e30s but I think they look good on certain colors of e28s.

Mmmm
    Der Cherry Bomb

Comment

Yellowing just your high beams is purely aesthetic since you shouldn't be using your high beams in fog anyways.
      Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
        Yellowing just your high beams is purely aesthetic since you shouldn't be using your high beams in fog anyways.
        QFT

I always get a chuckle when I see people using on Highs only myself.

Comment

and the reason for having yellows compare to whites is because....?

Comment

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
            and the reason for having yellows compare to whites is because....?
            The answer is in the first post, which was the whole reason of this thread.. to answer that very question.

Comment

Exactly - lows should be where you put the yellow for rain / snow / fog, not the high beams like everybody does just for looks.

Somewhat related, have you guys driven a long distance in a driving snowstorm at night? Snowflakes coming at your eyes like Star wars Hyperspace? It will DRIVE YOU CRAZY.

You want your lights to shine as low as possible, down in front of the car, out to the sides, so you can see where the road edge is. In those conditions, you shouldn't be going fast enough to need light way out in front, because it just lights up all those snowflakes coming into your brain!

Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzzz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	7189447

We were once caught in a storm, too dangerous to pull off, had to keep moving. Near white out. Rear fogs on. Turned OFF the headlights, and rolled down the windows so we could see the parking lights glow off the concrete walls and stay in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal323i View Post
                I don't like how they look on e30s but I think they look good on certain colors of e28s.

Yours is the only one I've ever liked with French high beams.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I like my Yellow lights, easier to see at night.

Also, they are 100% legal in California. Article 15, section 25950 says that forward facing lights must be White or Yellow, and there is no exclusion on headlights further down. Just had a nice talk and corrected a police officer on this one. So enjoy your yellow lights, and if you get a ticket, fight it and you will win.
                  Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                  A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                    I like my Yellow lights, easier to see at night.

Also, they are 100% legal in California. Article 15, section 25950 says that forward facing lights must be White or Yellow, and there is no exclusion on headlights further down. Just had a nice talk and corrected a police officer on this one. So enjoy your yellow lights, and if you get a ticket, fight it and you will win.
                    it's a shame that not all officers know the law they are sworn to uphold

Here in CT we have a clause that allows you to run license plates of the same vintage as your car if you are registered on special antique plates. It's free to do, you just need to bring the plates into the DMV and fill out a form. I'm about to do it with my car but I'm worried not every cop will know about the law so I'm considering only running them when going to shows etc (I'm assuming you can swap between the two since you are required to keep your standard plates inside the glove box and the number on those plates is used for your registration)
                    Last edited by Das Delfin; 12-19-2016, 08:35 PM.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post

Here in CT we have a clause that allows you to run license plates of the same vintage as your car if you are registered on special antique plates. It's free to do, you just need to bring the plates into the DMV and fill out a form. I'm about to do it with my car but I'm worried not every cop will know about the law so I'm considering only running them when going to shows etc (I'm assuming you can swap between the two since you are required to keep your standard plates inside the glove box and the number on those plates is used for your registration)

That is exactly how Ohio does it, my Dad has that on both of his '60s Mopars, if it is as common where you are as it is by my Dad's I couldn't imagine any cops hassling you over it unless there is a historic vehicle use limitation attached to it or something.

Some states even allow individuals to make their own plates in Euro size format if they conform otherwise to color and reflectivity, Ohio being one of them.
                      sigpic
                      1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post

If you're worried about it, print out a copy of the article and section and keep it in your glove box. I have a screen shot of the law saved on my phone. If the officers question it, they are free to look up the law themselves.
                        Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                        A Topless Memorandum

Comment

If you're worried about it, print out a copy of the article and section and keep it in your glove box. I have a screen shot of the law saved on my phone. If the officers question it, they are free to look up the law themselves.
                          That's what the VW owner in Ohio my Dad met had to do with his EU-shape Ohio license plates, he would get hassled but up to that point not ticketed.
                          sigpic
                          1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

the print out of the DMV website is exactly what I'm going to do. I did the same thing when I was running yellow headlights.

It's not very common here, which is surprising considering vintage plates all but eliminate your annual car taxes.

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
                            Some states even allow individuals to make their own plates in Euro size format if they conform otherwise to color and reflectivity, Ohio being one of them.
                            That's awesome! I've seen a few people with euro plates that have the same numbers as their CT-issue plates around here. I'll have to check if that's legal here :P

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                            X