Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas?

Hello,
    For about the past year i have been troubled with a very interesting problem. My car (91 325ix) seems to have gone through an evolution of problems to get where it sits now, and ill try to put them back in chronological order. When i first got the car it burned rich, not alarmingly, but noticeably. Then after driving it over the summer it started having issues starting when it was warm. I then replaced both coolant temp sensors and the problem ran away for about 3 weeks. When it came back (3 weeks later) i assumed the cheap coolant temp sensor that i put in had failed already so i put a new OEM one in, but this somehow led to a whole new set of problems. These problems include:

running rich

stalling when warm (note: It is an auto, so whenever it is in drive is when it sputters until it fully goes out)

it feels as if you are hitting limiter at about 4k, but only when the temp gauge reads that it is warm

when warm, it sputters from 1k to 2200 then hits power and revs till 4, like i said above.

Finally, the temp gauge on the dash fluctuates a lot! It never goes past the operating temp line, but it goes from cold (blue) to opt temp all in the matter of a minute when there is little stress on engine such as driving downhill.

Now here is what i have replaced.

Oxygen sensor

coolant temp sensor (both)

Checked thermostat (put in a cup of water the boiled it and watched to make sure it opened at 176 degrees)

new afm

new ICV

new fuel pressure regulator

replaced fuel filter

checked timing

new CPS

bypassed exhaust (in search of clogged cat)

checked TPS

So, with this said, any ideas? I am very done with having it sit in my driveway and i want to have it for the snow. Is there something i am missing or ???

Thanks!

Have you checked the fuel rail? are the injector seals good? Sounds like the injectors may be dribbling in your intake or your fuel return line could be restricted or clogged running back to the tank. You may want to borrow a fuel pressure tester from the ol auto parts store and check it.

Edit: looks like you may have tried some of the above. But i figured id say it to be safe.

Comment

Working...
    X