Cold start smoke & poor idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold start smoke & poor idle

Hey guys. Been having this problem with my car. Started a week or so. I have cleaned the icv. But no luck. The car will idle at 550 even after I cleaned and adjusted the idle. Idle sits at 550 after sitting for a couple minutes. And from there forward. Coming to a stop it will idle for maybe 30 seconds at 750 where I adjusted the icv to, then drop to 550. The smoke is only when it has sat for a long period and is worse since it has been frosty out. A litteral cloud of white and smells like burnt oil. Any ideas guys? From what I have searched is to hunt down a bad vacuum line. Perhaps I will just do them all. Car has been well maintained from the po. I have a stack of 16 years of records.

Need more information... How many miles, what motor...
    How much do you drive it? Can you borrow an ICV from someone and try it?
    Does it settle down once it's warmed up?
    Did you take out your coolant temp sensor and clean it?

Comment

TPS, bad ICV, Vacuume like off or missing or cracked, bad coolant sensor, maybe even cam or crank sensor depending which motor

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

for what it is worth, I have noticed my car blowing white smoke when engine braking down to a stop, even after 40minutes of driving. I believe it is just the cold weather and the natural by-product of an internal combustion engine. My car is de-catted as well. car runs good and isnt burning oil so I wouldnt worry much.

550rpm huh? I assume this is an eta then? the tps on the idle position is what tells the green idle computer box "hey the ICV needs to take over now!!!". This is unique to early model e30s on motronic 1.0

FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by ahlem View Post
          Need more information... How many miles, what motor...
          How much do you drive it? Can you borrow an ICV from someone and try it?
          Does it settle down once it's warmed up?
          Did you take out your coolant temp sensor and clean it?
          Smoke stops once warmed up. But does not settle down as in Has 186k on a stock 86 es. I have a wrecked eta that this car replaced to steal parts off of. I could clean the icv and put it in. I have not cleaned the coolant temp sensor. I understand there should be a little oil in the intake boot but this car has excessive amounts in there.

Comment

Working...
          X