What's right for me, and how do I find it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's right for me, and how do I find it

Hello everyone I am a relatively new driver but I've always grown up as a BMW boy. I've had my licence for about a year and have been driving an F10 M5 (DCT) and a new F87 M2 (Manuel). A couple weeks ago one of my fathers BMW friends came over and when I looked outside I saw this beautiful old E30 BMW. I instantly fell in love. I asked him if I could go drive it and he let me! I was so excited. I got into the car and it just felt like a race car. This was an E30 318is it had the M3's shocks on and I absolutely loved driving it I never stopped smiling as I drove it. This car gave me something else then the modern cars could give me it gave me a sense of simplicity and a down to earth driving experience. Before I go off to college in a year I wanted to get my hands on one of these amazing cars to bring it with me and be able to enjoy driving no matter where I go. With all of this said I don't really know where to start and what to look out for when buying one of these cars. I would prefer a 318i or is and I would want it to be realitivly untouched in the modification aspect. I would want a car true to itself. If anyone has some tips and tricks to share I would greatly appreciate that. I can't wait to truly become a member of this amazing community! Thanks

Personal opinion is to skip the 318i and get a 325i or 325is. I couldn't deal with less power than I have and the engine is much simpler to work with. 1989 seems to be the go to year. No airbags but has the facelift plastic bumpers. Mine is a late '91 325i with all of the sport options added including the one year only side skirts. I fell in love with it the second I drove it, and that was back when it was still auto transmission. Try and get a car without rust and has been taken care of, that's very important.
    1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
    1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
    bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
      Personal opinion is to skip the 318i and get a 325i or 325is. I couldn't deal with less power than I have and the engine is much simpler to work with. 1989 seems to be the go to year. No airbags but has the facelift plastic bumpers. Mine is a late '91 325i with all of the sport options added including the one year only side skirts. I fell in love with it the second I drove it, and that was back when it was still auto transmission. Try and get a car without rust and has been taken care of, that's very important.
      Are there any specific places rust is common?

Comment

There are some buyer's guides on bimmerforums and rtsauto that will tell you all you need to look for.
        Estoguy
        1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

^ I try to stay out of threads like these

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

This thread needs .gif(s)

Comment

AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by E30-JHS View Post
                  (Manuel)

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

^Beat me to it
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Estoguy
                      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Opie you weren't in close proximity to a bakery by chance, were you?
                        Originally posted by kronus
                        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

In for pics of you with an M5 and M2.
                          My previous build (currently E30-less)
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I think he named the car Manuel, guys, chill. He obviously knows how to spell.
                            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

OP, the 318 would be a fine choice if you find one. So would a 325i, and so would a 325e. You don't need much power at this point in your driving career and all three engines will still allow you to have fun. I'd personally recommend looking for a car that has some cosmetic issues but is structurally solid. You save money that way and don't have to worry as much about the car getting hurt.
                              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                              X