project redemption. my E30 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

project redemption. my E30 build

not sure if new guys are welcome to a build thread but heres my official build thread 1988 325is.
    i will be keeping track of man hours and expenses. the only thing i wont be doing by myself or with friends is the paint. im going to try and do this with no shop time.

heres my work so far on the door cards.
    Last edited by EurotrashedE30; 09-13-2008, 05:38 AM.

Comment

traced my templates to my backer board. glued the foam to the backer board. door handles and door pockets. rear deck speaker boxes.

Comment

should be close to this. gonna do the rear decklid in the suede and the pillars.

Comment

im waiting on wheels right now. im still trying to figure out fitments and then i can do what i need to the fenders before it goes in for paint/body work. hopefully back home within a month.

Comment

nice, looks great, keep us up to date!
            www.benjamineliward.com

Comment

that's a hell of a project you're starting there - best of luck with the whole thing!
              PNW Crew
              90 m3
              06 m5

Comment

Some information you should know before you try to tackle the door cards like that.

1.) you need to mount the backerboard securely bolted to the card in order for it to not flex out. Glue seldom will hold up, on the rear side. Do I have a solution? yes
                2.) you will not be able to fit the handle plastic surround, it will be way too far away, and no matter how you mod the clip you wont be able to fit it on. Do I have a solution... why yes. hahaha you can pm me and I'll tell you if you get to it.
                3.) the bottom where the map pocket goes in will be difficult as well, as the hook only accomodate moderate width, you will find it nearly impossible to sit it flat, you have to cut it up nearly half and inch in teh groove so the board will sit on the map pocket hooks.

Dont know what I'm talking about? and think I'm bullshitting? Dont think it wil lbe a problem? you are in for a big surprise.

I went through 3 different templates until I found how to do this to make it professional and solid as a rock. You can slap interior on anyway you want, but to make it solid and oem feel, requires some skillz.

Comment

Originally posted by thereisnoyun View Post
                  Some information you should know before you try to tackle the door cards like that.

1.) you need to mount the backerboard securely bolted to the card in order for it to not flex out. Glue seldom will hold up, on the rear side. Do I have a solution? yes
                  2.) you will not be able to fit the handle plastic surround, it will be way too far away, and no matter how you mod the clip you wont be able to fit it on. Do I have a solution... why yes. hahaha you can pm me and I'll tell you if you get to it.
                  3.) the bottom where the map pocket goes in will be difficult as well, as the hook only accomodate moderate width, you will find it nearly impossible to sit it flat, you have to cut it up nearly half and inch in teh groove so the board will sit on the map pocket hooks.

Dont know what I'm talking about? and think I'm bullshitting? Dont think it wil lbe a problem? you are in for a big surprise.

I went through 3 different templates until I found how to do this to make it professional and solid as a rock. You can slap interior on anyway you want, but to make it solid and oem feel, requires some skillz.
                  why wouldnt you just explain how to do these things so everyone can learn?

Comment

Good job resurrecting what looks like a car destined for the scrap heap. Looking forward to seeing how the interior turns out.
                    Matt

sigpic

Comment

Congrats on the project...keep us posted...looks like you're making headway. How does the car run currently?

Comment

Originally posted by thereisnoyun View Post
                        1. i am actually securing it with flush mount bolts that will be beneath the foam. its why i used peg board. 2. i was wondering about that. 3. already addressed the situation. so if you wanna help on no.2 im all ears lol
                        Originally posted by Dragowl View Post
                        Congrats on the project...keep us posted...looks like you're making headway. How does the car run currently?
                        thanx! car runs good! starts right up but idles a little choppy but not bad. it has been sitting for awhile so maybe bad gas. i usually dont believe the previous owners when they tell you about things you cant see but i guess it was his autocross car. motor has 70k, lw flywheel, intake, new clutch, 4.10 gears iirc.

Comment

Working...
                        X