My Turbo project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Turbo project.

So, I posted some pics last year of the car that I said i was going to turbo. well, the ball has really started to roll. I have most 90% of the motor/turbo parts ordered, just waiting for a bunch of it to get here. I am planning this to be lowbudget<hahahhahaha.

the car is still sitting in my garage, it will be coming out and to my house in a week or so to start on that part too. Its going to get paint-- the old color of my M3 and the rest I will just let you all follow the thread to see.

so here are a few pics to start off the thread. I will be updating as the progress comes along.

its a 1987 plastic bumpered no sunroof 316i-- it has a 1.8M10 and if you wanted the 318i just this year you recieved the 1.8 M40. BMW was trying to get rid of the left over M10 motors i guess. I am pretty sure it is one of the newest M10s in existence, and am sure the junkyard will love it more than me!

I paid nothing for the car, my boss gave it to me.

lowered it and emptied EVERYTHING that I could out of it. put some smoked ellips in there too.

mounted these wheels, but found out yesterday that they do not make them anymore- zero balance(I only have 2- slicks were mounted on these for a buddy's E30)
    time for different wheels.

welded up a bit-- oh noes, I know its now garbage J!

yes, it does have a small rust problem, but it was free.

here are 2 motors I collected up for it. 1 eta motor, and 1 non-cat 325i motor

here is where it as sitting as of today. going to wait till it is a little bit nicer out before I yank it out of the barn. I have no garage space for it at my house.

so here was my project for the day-(after skool) I didnt have a motor stand, so I figured i would build one from all of the old metal I had from my lowrider dayz. plus they are too expensive!!! money needs to be spent on go fast stuff.

so is my motor fairy enough? its a M20 so I figured I would put an ///M badge on it.

Comment

I ordered your stuff this morning - should be here by tuesday next week :)
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Are you going to french the headlights like your m3 was? Any other body ideas? What's up with those e46 M3 wheels?
        Last edited by Huff; 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM. Reason: More annoying questions..

Comment

I plan on leaving this car absolutely spoilerless. but we will see what happens.

the headlights are just going to be smoked reg.
          My M3 has turned into my "beauty queen" I feel like it is just wrong to beat the crap out of it the way I do after all the time in the cosmetics area. I am building this to have a car to beat on.

I want to just keep this car empty and as light as possible. no frills kinda thing.

Comment

I think you will really like my old turbo. :D esp with lighter weight!
            :: PNW Crew ::
            '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

the things I have right now for it are:

KOSEI 17" wheels-- noone has those over here
              M3 CABs
              Bilstein struts w/ B&G springs- old setup from my touring
              3.25 and a 3.64 LSD- not sure which to use yet.
              motor stuff:
              Garrett t3/t04e 57trim w/ .63 exhaust housing backtrail69's old turbo
              MS/2 thanks Nando
              ebay turbo exhaust mani. and also have a 324td as a back up.
              inline fuel pump
              38mm TIAL extern. wastegate
              some knockoff Greddy BOV
              2.5" intercooler pipes with bar intercooler
              redid my head with new springs, seals and pressure checked it.
              Vortech FMU-- that I dont need anymore I guess.
              a bunch of big ass X5 exhaust piping to make my own exhaust.
              and a bunch of other crap i cant remember right now

I am pretty sure that all the stuff can only mean fun! I hope anyway.

Comment

Make sure to run full 3in exhaust, Matt K. had problems with backpressure with 2.5in. I had an adapter from 2.5in to 3in on that flange that I reused with my new turbo. I told chris I will hook him up with my old fuel and spark maps for the 42# injectors (if you get those) so your car should start right up and only need minor tweeking.
                :: PNW Crew ::
                '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

I want to do twin 2.5s for ground clearance once I can ball the cash for that. (Maybe never)

Anywho, glorious fun Mike! I cant wait to see that sucker go!

- Erick
                  PS: Damn that M3 is sooooooooooooooooooo gorgeous. I still remember how it sounded when you opened her up on the Autobahn. :D
                  Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                  EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                  FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                  NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                  Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                  ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

I found an adapter here last week, did a welding job and there it was!!!!
                    yep, injectors and the LC1 are the last 2 things on my wish list right now. then all the money goes to all of the little crap to get it all together.

thanks alot for the maps!!!!! I am so anxious to get this thing together. The headbolts are in the mail, so i am kinda stuck right now. I want to start teh int. mounting guages and putting together all of the alluminum stuff(door cards/ dash pieces)

Comment

sweet project!...nice M3 too!
                      BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Are you going to do much cosmetically to the exterior? Or are you going to go with the somewhat clean rusted out look?

Fun project BTW. I look forward to reading more.
                        sigpic

Comment

It will get repainted. in this color, with white 17" kosei's on it.

Comment

Damn that M3 is hot. I gotta get up there some day. Good luck.

How do I spell stress relief?:hitler:
                            :!:Open Track Days!!!:!:

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post

so here was my project for the day-(after skool) I didnt have a motor stand, so I figured i would build one from all of the old metal I had from my lowrider dayz. plus they are too expensive!!! money needs to be spent on go fast stuff.
                              seriously? they're like $50-99 here. looks pretty sturdy, but you're going to have a hard time turning the motor upside down with the load off center like that.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X