No announcement yet.

Project S14 rebuild for my new E30 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This website is for sale! ee1394.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ee1394.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Yeah BMW repair manual.

Comment

Originally posted by uofom3 View Post
      that looks to me like the factory s14 shop manual. Mine looks pretty similar (if i knew where the hell it is)
      if you got one, we need to take a trip to kinkos foo!

Comment

Very cool project! Always nice to see a E30 M3 getting back on its feet.

Comment

Subscribed! Good work so far! I love clean engine parts :)
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Absolutely awesome man. It looks like you are giving the car (not including the motor) somewhat of a mild restoration. It's always refreshing to see someone actually not run away when hearing the words "S14" and "engine work."

Subscribed.
            - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
            E36 325i sedan
            E30 325i sedan
            Volvo 945T

Comment

If you plan on autox-ing, tracking or even driving aggressively on the street that baffle is not going to cut it, period.

This is a proper baffle.
              Last edited by madjurgen; 07-25-2008, 09:02 PM.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
              You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Originally posted by madjurgen View Post
                If you plan on autox-ing, tracking or even driving aggressively on the street that baffle is not going to cut it, period.
                +1. I almost fell out of chair trying to figure out that 'baffle' :D
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

This is a proper baffle.
                  I disagree. The TMS baffle works great in my 2.5 and its' been to the track and auto-x several times. No oil starvation issues what-so-ever.

You only go to the nasty motorsport style oil pan if you are a) a baller with crazy cash to spend or b) are running a legit 300+ hp and NO ONE on this site is doing that with the exception of my buddy with the turbo s14 (who has the bad-ass pan).

EDIT: that baffle is great, but I guess my point is thats overkill for his application. it must have been the Glen talking.
                  PNW Crew
                  90 m3
                  06 m5

Comment

I disagree. The TMS baffle works great in my 2.5 and its' been to the track and auto-x several times. No oil starvation issues what-so-ever.

You keep doing that. Having been in a E30M3 with a TMS baffle when it spun a bearing during an autox I maintain my opinion.

EDIT: that baffle is great, but I guess my point is thats overkill for his application. it must have been the Glen talking.
                    Ask Mariano, who spun a bearing on the street if its overkill. Only 160$. MUUUUUUCCCCHHH cheaper than a rebuild as Im sure you know. I bolted mine in instead of welding, havent run the engine yet so I dont know if its leakfree this way.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                    You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

You keep doing that. Having been in a E30M3 with a TMS baffle when it spun a bearing during an autox I maintain my opinion.

Ask Mariano, who spun a bearing on the street if its overkill. Only 160$. MUUUUUUCCCCHHH cheaper than a rebuild as Im sure you know. I bolted mine in instead of welding, havent run the engine yet so I dont know if its leakfree this way.
                      Oil starvation cannot always be considered the root cause of a spun bearing, there are other factors that come into play. The car that spun a bearing during an autox could have been worn prior to the TMS baffle install etc. Keep in mind I'm new to the S14, I knew I wanted something in there for insurance as I bought the car with a spun bearing. The baffle pictured is a Bavauto piece, it's definitely better than nothing. I don't plan on racing it, just street use. If I ever did get to that point I'll look into a more aggressive pan setup. I wouldn't mind a oil pressure gauge for piece of mind.

Comment

Finally some updates.

I didn't have the right rod bearings, got them now.

Checking the rod ends

Rings

Pistons in

Lubed

Bottom end done up

Puting timing stuff in

Vales back in head

Head gasket I like to coat with tack a gaskets, gives a bit of insurance.

Comment

Head on

Fresh Rails

Cam tray goes on

Pace should be pretty quick now, going to measure out the shims for the cams and keep moving along.

Comment

lookin' good!

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

great job! I love seeing s14 rebuilds... so sexy.
                              PNW Crew
                              90 m3
                              06 m5

Comment

still jealous

Comment

Working...
                                X