No announcement yet.

E28 v. E34 DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The E39 has the same steering setup as the E28, and I wouldn't say the E28 suspension is any worse than E30 suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
      ...except that a decent one is still in the $6k range, while a decent E28 is in the $1.5k range.
      This.

I'm in high school. I have a job but only make about a $1000 per month. So my budget is under $2000 with the expectation of having to do some repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo810 View Post
        This.

I'm in high school. I have a job but only make about a $1000 per month. So my budget is under $2000 with the expectation of having to do some repairs.
        Get a 528e in any sort of decent shape, you won't go wrong. Parts are stupid cheap, and plentiful.

I bought one for $250, did a 5-speed swap for free (bought a parts car, then parted it out to get my money back) and then I DD'd it for some months before I sold it for $1000 profit.

Comment

Whomever said that an E28 is good on gas mileage (first page) is completely incorrect, unless he's referring to the stale 528e. I own a '79 528i (auto) (E12), '86 535i (5 spd) and a '95 525i (auto). I wouldn't say any of them get "good" gas mileage. Respectable mileage? Only the E34. On my trip from San Antonio to Los Angeles I peaked at 28mpg, without any a/c on, averaging 75-80mph. You can get 25 all day long, but don't expect too much more unless you're waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswafflesfooting around.

My E28, which is my DD, gets 21 on the highway. And that's only if it's downhill, with a 30mph tailwind.

As for which one is better as a daily? It depends on what kind of issues you want to deal with. The E34 (mine has 222k) will, obviously, have a few more electrical gremlins. Both engines are completely bullet proof. The E28 has 260k, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to drive either one of them cross-country.

The E34 is definitely more comfortable as a long-hauler. It's much quieter, too. Examples of both can be had for about the same money - you just have to look.

I didn't bother reading every other post on here, but check www.mye28.com or www.bimmernut.com for a good E34 forum.

Originally posted by smooth View Post
          Are both similar in cabin space? In particular, how do modern quality baby seats fit into either one?
          My baby seat currently only fits well in the E34. It's rear-facing, so it makes the passenger seat basically useless. My wife has to sit in the back with the baby, lest she devour her knees up front.
          Last edited by latinobimmer; 01-06-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

^^ the only E28 EVER referred to as getting good gas mileage is the 528e. No one claims the M30 E28s do.

My 528e got 28 mpg average consistently, 30+ on the highway.

Comment

E28 - raw, pure classic lines with euro bumpers, very upright seating and an hvac system that leaves you wanting; in euro M5 form one the best sedans ever made.

E34 - bigger, more modern lines and last of the classic 4 headlight cars, in M5 form easily eats highways at high speed all day long and can be a hauler/cruiser for you, your three buddies and their golf clubs but also nimble enough to hang with M3s at the track

Comment

This.

Your in high school dude... keep it down to 1 car! Your going to overstep your income and both cars will suffer.
                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                  Your in high school dude... keep it down to 1 car! Your going to overstep your income and both cars will suffer.
                  Haha I got the bimmer bug.

It's kind of vicious right? I don't want to ruin my E30, but if I buy another car and keep the E30 clean over the winter; I won't have the money to do anything fun with it in the spring. Shitty to say the least.

Anyways, I'm still exploring my options, I might get my mom's jetta for the winter; so the answer to my original question may not be required. It was a good conversation nonetheless. :neutral:

Comment

The E39 has the same steering setup as the E28, and I wouldn't say the E28 suspension is any worse than E30 suspension.
                    What !!!!! an e39 has rack and pinion and the e28 has a steering gear box with center link system. How is that the same? Maybe you hit the wrong key and meant e34 bro ?
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
                      What !!!!! an e39 has rack and pinion and the e28 has a steering gear box with center link system. How is that the same? Maybe you hit the wrong key and meant e34 bro ?
                      E39 has rack and pinion? What's that below then?

Comment

Yes e39 has a R&P idk what that is...
                        -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
                        2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

Anybody else have a 535i from either generation? What other experiences with the fuel economy, 16mpg combined seems pretty harsh.
                          I've only just start keeping track of the fuel economy in my M535i, but according to fuelly.com, my average is 17.2 MPG. Mind you, this isn't my daily, so when it's being driven, it's almost always out on a run or something similar.

I'm kind of curious as to what the handling is like for both because I have driven neither (That's probably the next step.). I have driven E46s and found the chassis all around to be less... wiggly than an E30. Does an E28 have the same tendancy to oversteer like crazy?
                          I did a skidpan day with the M535i and it was such a pleasant car to slide around. Not violent in the slightest and so easy to control in the a slide. However, on the track, I find that my car seems to have a slight tendency to understeer when pushed too hard. I've literally never gotten it out of shape on the track because it's just so firmly planted to the road. I've received multiple comments from on-lookers saying that my car looks substantially more stable than every other car out there!

Car is a bog-stock Australian spec M535i, so the US equivalent would by the 535is.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
                            How did you look that up? That's not an e39. I don't think they used those crummy steering boxes since the last e28/24.

Also, pertaining to OT, e28 is better. Better to look at, better quality. Same suspension as an e34, but, IMO, it's just a better, more solid car. Kinda a e30/e36 comparison. Sure, there are things about an e36 that are better (engine, driveline, etc) but the whole car is not.

Just my opinion, yes, I've driven both, so this isn't really a biased opinion. Maybe a little, but I drive an e28 with a e34 B35 so....yeah, best of both worlds.

DD'd my e28 (535i auto at the time) all through HS. Drove my sister's ex husbands e34 more than a few times.
                            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Do you like music that no one has heard of?
                              If yes then an e28 is for you.
                              1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Thats a e38 7 series (95-to 01)
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Working...
                                X