Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this what my rear defroster switch is supposed to look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this what my rear defroster switch is supposed to look like?

Ever since I got my car, one of the things that has bothered me the most is that when the lights are on, the rear defroster switch is lit up like crazy. Is the foglight switch supposed to be as bright when it is off as it is when it is on? It seems like it should be a dim yellow when it is off, and when it is on it should be a bright yellow. Maybe it's just how all E30's are, but if that's the case, I'm definitely going to need to find a way to make it dimmer. Also, when the car is off but the lights are on, the defroster switch is bright yellow, but when I turn the rear defroster on (with the car still off), the light goes out completely. Here are a few pics. Is this just how E30's are, or is there something wrong with my wiring / switch.

Car on, rear defroster off:

Car on, rear defroster on:

Car off, rear defroster off:

Car off, rear defroster on:

Mine lights up when I turn on the lights also. To make it dimmer just turn the knob that you use to turn on the lights and it will make all of the dash lights brighter/dimmer. I'm pretty sure that's just the way they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
      Mine lights up when I turn on the lights also. To make it dimmer just turn the knob that you use to turn on the lights and it will make all of the dash lights brighter/dimmer. I'm pretty sure that's just the way they are.
      Does yours get brighter when you turn on the rear defroster or does it stay the same?

Comment

If you are talking about the switch while the lights are on, then no. The switch stays the same brightness off or on.

Comment

While someone has this posted.... is there anyway to make it light up only when it's on(pushed in)??? it's just stupid bright and not the same orange for it to be on all the time. Currently I have both of my defroster and hazard switch unplugged

Comment

Why not just take the light out of the switch so your defrost and hazzards work? It's getting cool out ur goin to need your defrost to work.

Comment

is there anyway to make it light up only when it's on(pushed in)???
              From looking at the schematic (and I'm a mechanical engineer, not an electrical) I believe if you unhook the brown/white wire from the back of the switch the light will only glow when the swicth is closed (defroster on).

Someone want to try it?

Comment

I took the bulb out of my hazards and now it doesn't work at all so I'll have to try my spare hazard switch and take out the brown and white wire

Comment

Has anybody been brave enough to cut the wires and see if the light is only on when the defroster is on, yet the defroster is still functional? Maybe if someone is parting out an E30, they can cut the wires and see what happens?

Comment

Spray it with model tint (or nightshades) then do a coat of duplicolor clear. Should tone it down...

Comment

Just snipped brown/ white, works like a charm, no light on switch till its activated. This always bothered me as well.. Thanks

Comment

Must be an early model thing, mine only lights up when the switch is closed (on).

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
                        HSAX Instructor

Comment

Mines a late model so maybe someone already did you the favor? Looks like I'll be plugging mine back in and snipping the brown/white wire!

Comment

Originally posted by gp.plus View Post
                            Just snipped brown/ white, works like a charm, no light on switch till its activated. This always bothered me as well.. Thanks
                            I'm glad to hear it works, but I'm wondering if the little prong on the switch can be removed instead of cutting the wire. I don't know why I or anyone else would ever want that annoying light back on, but I would still like to have the ability to just by swapping out the switch. I think I'll try that on a spare switch I have and see if the same thing happens. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Comment

Yea, I don't really condone cutting a harness, but mine was hacked by the po pretty bad already.

Comment

Working...
                              X