No announcement yet.

M42 Turbo Build (Semi Budget, keepng AC!) No 56k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went on an hour long drive a bit ago. There is a bit more vibration at idle (My car idles low, which is contributing to it, I'm sure.), but they improved throttle response, engine braking is better, and they didn't add any cabin noise at road speed. These are real benign. As far as the exact same height, I'm not entirely sure. Even if money was no object, I would still go with these. Here's the guide on M42club for them.

Comment

Figured I should post this here as well since it is finally numbers for the car. Also for the guys who are sub'd to this thread and might not see the other one.

Finally got it done for you guys... and for me obviously. There is more power left in it but I only had 3 runs (got 4 though) and I wasn't really tuning a whole lot during the cool downs.

Run 1 (3rd Gear Pull)

Not bad... but not great. 170.74hp and 167.86tq

Run 2 (3rd Gear Pull Added some timing above 5200rpm)

A little better... picked up some torque but left the efan on so had to redo this run. 167.92hp and 170.33tq

Run 3 (3rd Gear Pull Same as above because Efan was left on - Woops)

Still getting better... picked up both hp and torque by turning off the efan. Guess that thing really sucks some juice. 174.88hp and 173.86tq

Run 4... no video. It looks just like the others though.

Guess we should have been running in fourth gear the whole time... now I know for next time. 180.89hp and 208.41tq

There was a hiccup in this pull and I am thinking it is spark blowout. The dyno operator agreed it was probably the case. You can see it on the graph at 4550rpm.

My 3rd gear pulls peaked at a 164kpa and my 4th gear pull peaked at 168kpa. So about 9.5psi is what I am running. I posted my data long for the 4th pull below along with the dyno graph. Let me know what you guys think... suggestions, criticisms, etc. I'm just glad to have numbers on it now even though I'm sure there is more power there.

"A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

Looks pretty nice. The only thing that jumps out at me is that my afr, especially under wide open throttle, doesn't seem to have all the fluctuation. I'm not really sure what would cause that though. It looks like you're running about 10.5:1 most of the way through the upper rev range, and that is a bit on the low side. Certainly safe and good if you are seeing your temps rise, but I've seen better power and still no detonation or anything at 11:1 or even 11.5:1.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
          Looks pretty nice. The only thing that jumps out at me is that my afr, especially under wide open throttle, doesn't seem to have all the fluctuation. I'm not really sure what would cause that though. It looks like you're running about 10.5:1 most of the way through the upper rev range, and that is a bit on the low side. Certainly safe and good if you are seeing your temps rise, but I've seen better power and still no detonation or anything at 11:1 or even 11.5:1.
          Thanks, and I agree 100% on leaning it out. I was running more boost before and turned it down (~1psi) without changing my tune. Also I am waiting to get some high impedance injectors before really trying to dial it in perfectly. Low impedance injectors just make it soooooo much more difficult.
          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
          91 318is Turbo Sold
          87 325 Daily driver Sold
          06 4.8is X5
          06 Mtec X3
          05 4.4i X5 Sold
          90 325i Sold
          97 328is Sold
          01 323ci Sold
          92 325i Sold
          83 528e Totaled
          98 328i Sold
          93 325i Sold

Comment

respect earned..
            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Bumping your thread because I love it. I saw it on M42Club, but I can't post on there (account never got activated, I don't know who's admin'ing that place...).

Recently picked up an M42-powered sedan, and it's getting some forced induction in the future. I continually go back and forth between supercharged and turbocharged. Turbo for the ease, but a supercharger would be sexy, and I've got the resources at work to make it happen.
              1991 318i SOLD
              2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Just read through this and thought you would want to know you are still influancing fellow automotive hobbiests

Comment

Loved reading this, have new appreciation for M42 everything.......and 20 MPH turboed.
                  Lieben Sie Schlangen ?

Comment

thanks for the FMIC pics. Its mandatory that i keep my A/C so its good to know it can be done while still fitting it all behind the valance!
                    RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
                      thanks for the FMIC pics. Its mandatory that i keep my A/C so its good to know it can be done while still fitting it all behind the valance!
                      No problem. Glad this is still helping people.

The car has been running fine though I rarely get to enjoy it anymore. I drive it maybe once a month or so. We just found out we are having our second child so this will most likely be up for sale soon after I go through it and check things out.
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled