Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tightening top hats--first post

Just registered, First post.

So I replaced the struts (Koni Streets), springs (BaVAuto), top hats and control arm drop links on my 87 Cabrio. I got the Real oem chart and ordered all of the correct washers and bits to re-assemble correctly. All of the required washers are in place. I tightened the struts to the top hats by putting the entire assembly in a vise and used a hex key through a socket to hold the strut shaft while using a pipe wrench on the outside of the socket. I tightened as much as I could without breaking the hex key. After install, I get a clunk going over any bumps from both sides of the front end. the control arms are tight with new drop links, also tight. I suspect the top hats are not tight enough. Putting one hand on the top hats while pushing up and down on the front end reveals a discernible clunk. I searched this Forum and found a thread that says to use an impact wrench while holding the strut shaft with a vise grip. The install instructions on Pelican Parts says do not use an impact wrench.

Two questions: Should i use an impact to tighten the top hats? Can I do it with the assembly in the car, or do I have to take it all out?

Thanks in advance
    Mike
    87 E30 Cabrio
    72 2002 Tii
    76 2002

I had a similar issue when I changed out stuts on my m3. Ended up just not being tight enough. Ive replaced 2 sets of front struts now and ive used an impact wrench each time. You should just be able to tighten the top nuts with them in the car, as long as you have a safe way of holding the struts without damaging them.

Edit: also for future references, the General Technical forum or the springs, shocks, etc. subforum of Suspension and Unsprung forum might be a better place for this thread.
    Last edited by TheWipprSnappr; 07-25-2017, 02:46 PM.
    1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
    1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
    E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Thanks. Didn't know about the sub-forums.
      Mike
      87 E30 Cabrio
      72 2002 Tii
      76 2002

Comment

Don't tell anyone I told you this, because it's a hack move; rattle gun and a little bit of loctite.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

I broke the threaded section off a bilstein HD with an impact gun. Don't use something large like a 1/2" gun. Haven't had an issue with a 3/8" gun.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
          X