Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing Fuel hoses in/out of filter - PLEASE HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Fuel hoses in/out of filter - PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey Guys,

So I want to replace both fuel hoses connected to the fuel filter (as well as replacing the filter itself), but I'm confused as to how to access the hose that connects to the "rear" of the filter (red arrow, in photo). Working on a '91 318is with original M42.

I know others have asked about this, but I need clarification. There seems to be conflicting reports as to which hose goes where. Please advise!

When I tug on the hose indicated by the green arrows (see photos below), it seems to pull on the hose that is connected to the hard line that is right next to the filter, NOT the inlet to the filter itself. Is this correct? If so, where the heck does the filter inlet hose disappear to??? Will I need to drop the tank?

Trying to get this done either tonight or tomorrow, so any advice asap is truly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Can't see your pics, but the inlet for the filter runs up and sort of on top of the tank. In my car there is a hose clamp that is right at the hole that passes the soft line from the bottom to a hard line up high. However, yours could have an inaccessible screw mechanisim like mine.

So, take a look above the filter for a clamp and order the formed line to make the odd angle from tank hard line to filter.

Comment

Yep, you're right: it definitely goes on top of the tank a bit. i was just barely able to snake my hand up there and feel a hose clamp, but there is no way to undo the clamp from that angle, much less even see the danned thing.

So now it seems like I'm being forced to lower the tank. I'd really rather not drop the tank completely, because removing the catback and driveshaft just to replace a 10' piece of hose seems like a real pain.

Anyone know if there's a way to drop the tank just a little bit? Like, if I remove the bolts #5 & #6 in this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=16_0046

Think that might cheat me an inch or two? Or would I risk dislodging the filler tube and hard lines?

Thanks guys!

Comment

You shouldn't hurt much dropping the tank just a bit as the filler tube will jam on the subframe and stop it from dropping further. That said, you could of course damage components, especially if they are original, by doing so.

To lower the tank at all you'll need to loosen all retaining fasteners and then either pry or wiggle the tank down as it's probably stuck up there.

Comment

I've done this to my 318. I tilted the tank. I was near empty so it was fairly easy to wiggle around. A 6mm socket vs a phillips made the clap a little less fiddly.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice guys. Sorry the photos didn't load; I guess my account is still too young. Let me try a few Flickr links:

So, in the first photo, the hose with the green arrow comes out of the pump, goes all the way along under the passenger side seat, and eventually connects to a hard line right next to the filter - is this correct? I've received some conflicting information, and some people have indicated that this hose should actually be attached to the filter inlet. Is there supposed to be a direct line from pump to filter like this, or does the filter inlet come from that inaccessible hose on top of the tank? Just want to confirm (hopefully the PO didn't mess this up).

Also, if I want to tilt the tank down a bit, should I simply loosen the bolts #5 & #6 in this diagram?:

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Comment

If your pump looks like this inside the tank, the longer metal nipple is the high pressure side that goes to the filter inlet. Based on photos I found in Google, it can be made either way.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/16141180233/

Change your hoses....they were made the 24th week of 1990 :p

Comment

Working...
              X