Timing components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing components

So my m42 is getting up there in mileage and I gotta do the cooling system soon at least the water pipe and water pump with hoses so i figured while I'm in there i might as well do the timing components since i guess they go out on these engines? This is my first m42 so i don't really know a whole lot about these engines. My question is what all should i buy for a timing refresh? Everything? Or is there a main component that is usually the source of the problem and just need to do that? I ask because i was looking on blunttech site and the main timing guide was like 220 bucks and the other parts of kind of pricey too. Any info is appreciated. Thank you

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

If you buy everything new timing related, it will run you about $750. Start with taking the valve cover off, and take a look at the teeth on the cam sprockets. If they're pointy that's one indicator. Also pull the lower oil pan, and take a look in there, to see if there's any plastic bits in the oil pan. If there is, that's another indicator to replace your timing chain guides etc. If all checks out, then no need in spending the money right now. What's the mileage on your car?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
      If you buy everything new timing related, it will run you about $750. Start with taking the valve cover off, and take a look at the teeth on the cam sprockets. If they're pointy that's one indicator. Also pull the lower oil pan, and take a look in there, to see if there's any plastic bits in the oil pan. If there is, that's another indicator to replace your timing chain guides etc. If all checks out, then no need in spending the money right now. What's the mileage on your car?

When I pulled my lower oil pan to check the pump bolts there was nothing in it but left over oil. Cant remember what the cam sprockets looked like. It does sounds like there is some noise coming from it when i get around 3-4k but again I've never had an m42 before to know what a perfect one sounds like. The car has 160k on it. I should also mention according to records the head gasket was replaced at 70k but thats all they were billed for not sure if they replaced parts for free while they were in there or not i bought from original owner and they said they were friends with shop owner so its a possibility.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        When I pulled my lower oil pan to check the pump bolts there was nothing in it but left over oil. Cant remember what the cam sprockets looked like. It does sounds like there is some noise coming from it when i get around 3-4k but again I've never had an m42 before to know what a perfect one sounds like. The car has 160k on it. I should also mention according to records the head gasket was replaced at 70k but thats all they were billed for not sure if they replaced parts for free while they were in there or not i bought from original owner and they said they were friends with shop owner so its a possibility.
        Have you replace the timing chain tensioner?

Comment

Have you replace the timing chain tensioner?

I have not touched a thing except change the valve cover when i found my plugs submerged in oil and a thermostat cause it wasn't letting car get to op temp. Should i start with that and see where it goes from there?

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I have not touched a thing except change the valve cover when i found my plugs submerged in oil and a thermostat cause it wasn't letting car get to op temp. Should i start with that and see where it goes from there?
            Plugs covered in oil, that's just the rubber gaskets themselves. Replace valve cover/plug gaskets if haven't already. Replace the timing chain tensioner, its only a $60 part, and takes about 5 mins to replace. This maybe whats causing the rattle.

Comment

Plugs covered in oil, that's just the rubber gaskets themselves. Replace valve cover/plug gaskets. Replace the timing chain tensioner, its only a $60 part, and takes about 5 mins to replace. This maybe whats causing the rattle.

Yea plugs and cover were replaced when i found them covered cause i went to do plugs and found that wonderful surprise. When i do cooling system i will order the tensioner and a new gasket along with rest of cooling system parts. Should i do the top guide between the cams since i will be messing with the tensioner and seems easily accessible ?

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Yea plugs and cover were replaced when i found them covered cause i went to do plugs and found that wonderful surprise. When i do cooling system i will order the tensioner and a new gasket along with rest of cooling system parts. Should i do the top guide between the cams since i will be messing with the tensioner and seems easily accessible ?
                The tensioner its on the side of the engine. You unscrew it, then screw the new one in. Taking the valve cover off its not part of this process. Don't bother with the top guide right now, unless it's in bad shape.

Comment

The tensioner its on the side of the engine. You unscrew it, then screw the new one in. Taking the valve cover off its not part of this process. Don't bother with the top guide right now, unless it's in bad shape.

Derp i should of known that haha not sure why i was thinking id need to take the cover off. I need to go to bed i been up to long haha

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Use the M44 tensioner- it's an improvement.

And if you have any cause to be into the front,
                    even just the water pump, it's worth swapping the idler sprocket-
                    they seem to be the weak link on the early M42s.

If you find yourself with free hours and tools on half- price day
                    at the u-pullit, the late E36 M42 timing system is more durable.
                    You need the whole front case, guides, etc.

But then, by that point, you could just pull an M54B30 out of an E46
                    and make a REAL improvement in your E30...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                      Use the M44 tensioner- it's an improvement.

And if you have any cause to be into the front,
                      even just the water pump, it's worth swapping the idler sprocket-
                      they seem to be the weak link on the early M42s.

If you find yourself with free hours and tools on half- price day
                      at the u-pullit, the late E36 M42 timing system is more durable.
                      You need the whole front case, guides, etc.

But then, by that point, you could just pull an M54B30 out of an E46
                      and make a REAL improvement in your E30...

t

Swap the idler sprocket to an m44 one?

My car is so original and a slick top i would never swap it. I have fallen in love with the m42 even if it has no power its still a blast to rev out and drive.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

No, sorry, just the tensioner piston. It's drilled and bushed differently,
                        supposed to hold tighter. Quieted my e36 m42 right down.

M44 never gotta sprocket.

hth,
                        t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                        X