Active E30s (kayaks/bikes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Active E30s (kayaks/bikes)

Anyone else use their e30 for hauling kayaks, canoes, bikes, etc?

This is my first time hauling my hurricane 116 with something other than the truck.

I'm using foam blocks because the racks are just extremely expensive and hoping it doesn't screw up the paint too bad ( not that it's even close to showroom quality)

What else are you guys hauling and how do you tie it down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 BMW 325i Sedan
    Mods:
    -Condor Poly CABs

I take the paddleboard down to the lake a few times a week.

It's pretty soft (inflatable) and I live a minute from the lake so I just keep it inflated and throw it on the roof with a towel and a tie-down going through the handle on the board around the roof through both doors.

Pretty convenient and hasn't damaged the roof at all. I wouldn't drive on the highway like that but there are quite a few spots close by so don't have to go far..

I used to surf a lot when I lived in California but would just put the board inside the car with the passenger seat laid down rather than haul it on top.

Have put several 6-7 foot evergreen landscaping trees *inside* the car, again with the passenger seat laid down but never anything like that up top a la lumber-Jetta.

We haul the other stuff with my wifes car. ;)

Last edited by coldweatherblue; 08-12-2017, 07:16 AM. Reason: obligatory pic

Comment

Anyone use a protectant to prevent water damage to the E30 leather interior?

I spend probably 100 days a year in the water, try to dry off then use a towel over the seats but I know the leather still gets damp. Have put a lot of tlc in my sport seats and would like to keep them nice while still using the car as a DD.

Comment

I have a seat cover over my driver seat, but it's pretty much destroyed. I'd try a nice thick blanket style seat cover and just make sure you clean and treat the seats on a regular basis

1990 BMW 325i Sedan
        Mods:
        -Condor Poly CABs

Comment

My son sometimes hauls 7 team bikes on his E30 - 3 on yakima roof trays and 4 on a yakima hitch rack.

The yakima gutter mount towers are old skool and often cheap on craigslist as there aren't any new cars that use that. Very solid. They make boat shaped foam block pads for the bars. We once had to haul a 2-man sea kayak on a Volvo wagon with just pads and foam blocks, and put little dents in the roof. Still annoyed about that.

The hitch rack gets strapped to the forward edge of the truck lid when loaded, to keep things from shaking.

Comment

out enjoying the day riding bikes with the wife

Toyota Pickup

Comment

hey....aren't you related to a famous person..? Fred-something...?

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                hey....aren't you related to a famous person..? Fred-something...?
                Yes I am related to my famous brother.... I eat from a dog bowl while he gets KFC fed to him with a large 16oz of cold Narragansett Lager poured from the tap
                Toyota Pickup

Comment

I'm an active drinker.
                  555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                  '95 BMW e34 525i
                  '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                  '92 Range Rover Classic
                  '90 Range Rover Classic
                  '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                  '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                  '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                  '67 Pontiac LeMans
                  '24 Model T Depot Hack
                  ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeK View Post
                    ... I eat from a dog bowl while he gets KFC fed to him with a large 16oz of cold Narragansett Lager poured from the tap
                    #sad

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      #sad
                      sike! he's my bitch!
                      Toyota Pickup

Comment

soft racks for boards

Getting ready for a paddle out with the kid.

I can load 3 bundles (300') of 10' long 3/4" EMT through the ski boot/trunk and close all the doors.

Comment

two bikes one kayak, two kayaks one bike, two kayaks two bikes, four bikes, three kayaks, etc. all works well.

Originally posted by TSI
                          ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                          OEM+

Comment

not the best shot.... but the thule ski racks worked quite well on a trip to mt. hood in july

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            '90 325i sedan daily driven
                            '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

[ATTACH]116701[/ATTACH]

That hitch thing (Yakima) holds 5 I think, if you can fit all the bars together.

Comment

Working...
                              X