Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running lean

Hey guys,

So I have been having an issue with my s52 w/m50 manifold swap running lean and stumbling/rough idle. I have checked for vacuum leaks. I found a few and fixed them. I may still have a slight leak from the IAT in the intake boot. I'm pretty sure it's no where near bad enough to cause it to run the way it is. I have sprayed with brake clean in that area and it doesn't change the idle much at all. If I add alternate fuel in front of the maf, it smooths out. I had codes 227, 228, 202 and some misfire codes. They all have to do with running lean. I have a strong suspicion that the ccv set up or the ccv is bad. I followed this ccv routing http://www.rmeuropean.com/bmw-m50-manifold.aspx

On the oem set up with the s52 manifold the cyclone valve plumbs into the dipstick and not into the idle control valve. So, it is possible that I'm drawing too much vacuum from the bottom of the cyclone or is the cyclone itself bad? How exactly would I tell if it's bad?

Thanks in advance!

Update: the cyclone valve was stuck wide open causing a serious vacuum leak. Tried taking off the oil cap while engine running and almost impossible to take it off. I removed all the ccv piping I made, the valve, and just mocked the obd1 piping. I tried removing the oil cap after and came off with ease. Runs a whole lot smoother, but having a little uneven idle and stalled once on me before I took it out for a drive. While on the test drive, no stalling, but idle still uneven somewhat. Also noted that the intake sounds like it has a supercharger at idle. I am sure it has to do with the obd1 piping.

Have not checked for any codes, if any, have returned.

Comment

Update: So after about 30 miles driving everything seems to be working great. However, I found something interesting. I mentioned that my car idles like if it has a supercharger, well come to find out there isn't a supercharger under the hood!

Seriously though, I found out that the hose going to the intake from the idle control valve is collapsing and the noise is air gasping to keep the engine running. This is most likely the reason my car stalls sometimes. Why would the hose be doing this?

Thanks guys for viewing.

Comment

Thanks for posting, too bad nobody didn't chime in. Mines sounds like a super charger.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerboy91 View Post

Seriously though, I found out that the hose going to the intake from the idle control valve is collapsing and the noise is air gasping to keep the engine running. This is most likely the reason my car stalls sometimes. Why would the hose be doing this?
          You have badly executed m50 intake swap. The hoses you are using are wrong and can't handle vacuum.

Comment

Hey Pazi, I enjoy your videos. Keep Posting.

Comment

Are you using the "turkey neck" and regular m50 ICV hoses? They're more rigid than parts store radiator hose.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

URO brand ICV hoses will do this too. Get a new OEM hose and it will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                X