E30 S54 HVAC Heat issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 S54 HVAC Heat issues

So i finished my s54 swap 3 years ago. Love the swap and the e30 but I never drove it in cold climates. I now have a short term need to run the car for part of this winter while looking for a new car.

I go to fix the heat in the car over the past weeks and am coming up unsuccessful.

I have a new heater core, new heater shut off valve new hoses and new thermostat bypass and still have no heat.

This shows my current routing:

I must disclose i have changed the hose routing on other parts of this engine. I will try to get photos to show this later, but i still have my factory e30 1990 325i coolant jug in the factory location and i welded in tubing to make this work. I also am running factory e30 radiator and factory s54 thermostat, all new and functioning well.

My concern is that some hose routing i have changed may be affecting the flow characteristics to my heater core preventing sufficient flow giving me no heat inside.

How have others run theirs and how well does your heat work? Thanks in advance.

-Ian
    Ian Simon

Here are a few photos that KIND OF show other pipe routing.

Ian Simon

Comment

Thats a clean looking engine bay. Sorry I cant help. Good luck!
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

How do you have the heater core hoses connected?
        sigpic
        E30love

Comment

The hoses are connected using the quick connect fittings on the engine and run directly to the core and hose clamped on to the heater core aluminum tubes. The only thing in between is the E30 heater core thermostatic bypass.
          Ian Simon

Comment

I believe he's asking where the hoses are coming from and connecting to.
            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
              I believe he's asking where the hoses are coming from and connecting to.
              Yes this^

I'm thinking you may have the hoses routed wrong from motor to heater core.
              Last edited by jink0619; 12-20-2016, 09:06 PM.
              sigpic
              E30love

Comment

per s54swap.com:

For the heater core lines, connect the hose from behind the cylinder to the bottom pipe on the heater core line on the E30. The top line is connected to the metal pipe coming off the thermostat.

Comment

Oh yes.... The aluminum "thermostat tube" that is attached to the head is connected to the top heater core tube.

The black steal tube on the block below the head is connected to the lower heater core hose.
                  Ian Simon

Comment

Any other hoses that coolant runs through in non stock locations? Your heater core isn't blocked with debris? Not trying to be stupid but does your blower motor work? I have mine hooked up as above and my heat works really really really well and pretty quickly too

Comment

I appreciate any and all input because this is driving me nuts. I flushed my first heater core and have since installed a brand new core and new heater shut off valve.

The one thing i have changed is i have welded a tube off of the lower black line that runs to my expansion tank, but as a trial, I clamped off that line, mimicking the stock orientation and ran it. Still no heat

Yes the blower motor works. When I did the swap, I installed AC and the AC works wonderfully in the summer
                      Ian Simon

Comment

diesekte do you have the e30 heater core thermostatic bypass installed in yours as well?
                        Ian Simon

Comment

Um... No? I looked up a picture of it and I've never seen anything like that in my engine bay. My heater core hoses are hooked up like yours. I have the expansion tank on the passenger side just kinda thrown in the battery tray lol

Comment

Just an FYI, welding the tube on like you did that goes to the expansion bottle is exactly how the Z3M is plumbed so that's not it. I plan to do the same or buy the OEM hardline from the Z3M.

Comment

hoses at core backwards. Top of Hcore is OUT bottom is IN.
                              S54 Alum Tube on cyl head is OUT to core
                              Metal pipe is IN FROM core.

Check Us out on Facebook
                              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                              Full Product Line Tuning
                              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X