Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Californian M42ers, can I pass smog with the MUtI cleanup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Californian M42ers, can I pass smog with the MUtI cleanup?

Finally on the engine install decent and am hoping to hear some input on of it's worth it to reroute my lines or if it would fail me at a shop. I do need to register the car so this smog is necessary. Also want to thank @rougetoaster because I would most likely die if not for your diagram

[SIGPIC]sigpic
    '91 318i sedamn

You are welcome.

In order to do the deletion more stealthily you would want shorter TB studs, really carefully routed hoses that don't have markings all over them, and the ICV in the stock location. That done, the delete should be totally stealthy, and while I do not know CA code, the TB heater is not emissions equipment for sure, but was likely installed to prevent moderate temperature intake icing.

Comment

As an anecdote, my 318i passed smog with the MUtI cleaned up, no TB heater, so the lines and TB heater aren't strictly necessary for tailpipe emissions. Visual is more subjective and might depend on where you take it.

Comment

The MUtI stuff will have no effect on the SMOG sniffer performance. Additionally, it is extremely unlikely that any SMOG station will know what the hell they are looking at. At least up where I am in CA, they just look for a CA-legal cat, the charcoal can (evap emissions system) and a stock air box/AFM/manifold.

Also, I see no reason to remove the TB heater plate. You can remove all the MUtI junk and leave the plate so that it both looks stock and you do not have to mess with the studs.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I have passed visual inspection at both test only and star stations with the mess under the intake done. I ditched the tb heater plate too.

CA sucks

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Don't worry about the mess cleanup especially in Santa Barbara. You will be totally fine.

Btw if you have a good cat I might see if I can borrow it :D

-NICK

Comment

I too passed w/ the cleaned up vac lines.. back when i lived in CA.... damn i miss CA

Comment

I was recently advised that it's a bit of a risk, by McGyver.

What I basically what I took away was:

In CA: Just don't risk it.
                1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
                2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
                2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
                1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
                1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

As long as you run vegan, conflict-free gas which was refined by a company that is 51% woman-owned, you should pass SMOG just fine in CA.

Comment

Don't think doing the cleanup would fail you. One guy passed me, went back to him again and failed because I have a 4.27 diff and the rpms weren't in the designated parameters or some crap. Told me someone else can pass me by switching gears though. Next guy I took it to failed me because of my after market air filter. He did a thorough visual check, even asked if my headers were stock. But didn't mention anything about the mess I deleted.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                    '91 318is
                    sigpic

Comment

Hell, mine passed with coil on plugs (granted they do say BMW on them) and a MAF sensor instead of the VAF sensor. I even saved an old VAF sensor I could gut and then hide the MAF in the air box if I needed to
                      You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
                      I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
                      Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

Jesus. Thanks for reminding me why Indiana is awesome.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Just passed with MUtI removal, MAF + M30 air box, modified upper intake manifold, COP conversion and 4 EGT probes installed lol. The SMOG guy told me that the COP conversion was the only item that would be a problem in the future as CA starts clamping down more on the visual inspection.

Comment

So, was it the empty bracket, the lack of a plug well cover, or do they just reference a picture to determine compliance?

Comment

It was a case of, "hey the coils on these cars are usually on the fender..."

So I suppose that I just need to find a shop where the tech is unfamiliar with E30's next time. This guy seemed to know a thing or two about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X