No announcement yet.

What is your ideal differential ratio for the e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many variables, powerplant, forced induction, oversized wheels? where you live ie flat land and sea level vs 5K feet in Denver.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

For the s52, I enjoy my 3.64 LSD from a e23 and e36 LSD carrier. 3rd and 4th gear are a ton of fun, 5th can get you to 100mph at 4.2k RPM- wish isn't too bad...

For the m20, the 3.73LSD is ideally the way to go.
      555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
      '95 BMW e34 525i
      '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
      '92 Range Rover Classic
      '90 Range Rover Classic
      '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
      '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
      '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
      '67 Pontiac LeMans
      '24 Model T Depot Hack
      ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Do you think a 3.46 LSD is good on a stock m20?

Comment

On the highway maybe, but it'll be slow as hell to accelerate. Needs moar torque.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
            its a good balance between economy and "performance". if i had one, i would have installed it in my mtech that is sitting in denver instead of the 2.93.

you won't win many races with the 4.10 anyway so i think this is a good choice if you are going to daily the car.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
              Running the 3.15 Torsen in mine w/ the s52 and ZF trans. It's great around town, but to my surprise, still a bit 'much' on the highway. A 2.93 would probably suit it better. But - since I want to keep the Torsen, I think a 6 speed will be coming in the future. Still has the 1:1 5th gear and I have the option for the overdrive in 6th if I'm doing highway cruising.
              I'll trade you a 2.93 LSD :)

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                Too many variables, powerplant, forced induction, oversized wheels? where you live ie flat land and sea level vs 5K feet in Denver.

This.
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

All I have experience with is my open 2.93. For all the driving I do, it's great. After 275K km, I'm still averaging 7.8L/100 km (just over 30MPG US).
                  Estoguy
                  1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    On the highway maybe, but it'll be slow as hell to accelerate. Needs moar torque.

I'm good with the 292... however I'm bias since its my daily and I do 120 Highway miles every day acceleration is good but it I have a 2.7i which might make a difference in acceleration compare to the 2.5....

once I get my audi figured out I can make this a full weekend car.. which will make me change the Diff to a better acceleration ratio...

Comment

had what i thought was a 2.89 open diff, it must've been 2.79 or whatever in my 'e'.
                      swapped in a 3.73 lsd and i swear it's the best upgrade i've done. also swapped in a 2.5l. that was good, too. lolz
                      car is a track rat/sunday driver.

Comment

you won't win many races with the 4.10 anyway
                        sadly, this seems to be true...

t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I have a 2.35 gearset which will go into my iX with S62 and GS6-53BZ ;)

Comment

Diffs are too application dependent to have a perfect diff ratio even for one car depending on use.

My 318 Commuter car I put a 2.79 in, it gets 32 MPG @ 85 MPH on he highway, I don't care how it accelerates.

My Club racer with a GForce road race T5 seems to like a 4.10 for most tracks but I have 3.73, 4.27 and 4.45 to swap out to optimize when needed.

My previous CR 265 trans was happier with a 3.73 as the starting point.

My Street M3 has a stock 4.10 which for street use is about perfect, but if I was going to do track days with it I'd swap in a 4.45

My S14 powered Cabrio which essentially has an E30 M3 underneath it has a 3.91 in it which drops the highway cruise RPM a little bit over the 4.10 that would normally be there.
                            Acceleration is off my street car pace, but its a bit better highway cruiser.

My Gruppe A car has had everything from a 4.45 to a 3.73 in it to optimize gearing for track.

Its all dependent on the car and the use for the car,,,, and in the case of track cars the track of the day.
                            Last edited by JimmyP; 07-04-2017, 09:59 AM.
                            Jimmy P.
                            87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                            88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                            88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                            92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                            98 318Ti Morea Green
                            04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Well said JimmyP!
                              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
                                We replaced the 2.93 with a 3.46 Torsen in the ETA and it almost feels "normal" :)

Highly recommended swap.
                                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                                Alice the Time Capsule
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                                X