Misfire/ rough idle when turning in reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misfire/ rough idle when turning in reverse

So whenever I take my 91 318is out to my friend's tea house and whenever I want to move the car from a more distant parking space to a closer space, my 318is would always idle rough (as if it's misfiring) and would sometimes stall.
    This is basically a break down of how it happens:
    *Jump in car, start.
    *put in first, drive out of the parking spot
    *Drive to the new parking spot, stop, put in reverse, turn steering wheel left
    This is when car idles rough, sounds like misfiring (according to my friend), and would sometimes stall.
    Tried clutch in, press gas, but the engine lags for a second before the rev comes up
    *while rev's up, reverse while pressing on more gas than usual
    *park the car, put in neutral (still idles rough)
    *turn off the engine, get off car

Can anyone tell me what might be the problem?

I had a misfire issue, and new spark plugs fixed it. I'm not 100% sure if that's your issue since you said it's only in reverse, but for $30 at AutoZone you can get the fancy iridium plugs and see if that fixes it. That's just where I'd start. Also, we all need to check out plug cables since they're bound to be 20+ years old and likely a little worn out. I think EricTheCarGuy or ChrisFix (YouTube channels) has a good video on checking your cables.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Id try to clean your icv and maybe your throttle body and MAF sensor. The engine normally dips a little when turning, but this might be dirty and so when it dips it has trouble keeping idle. I'd also say check your plugs and wires. I had an idle issue and turns out one of my plugs wasn't seated correctly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
      '91 318is
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Levy3Poop View Post
        I had a misfire issue, and new spark plugs fixed it. I'm not 100% sure if that's your issue since you said it's only in reverse, but for $30 at AutoZone you can get the fancy iridium plugs and see if that fixes it. That's just where I'd start. Also, we all need to check out plug cables since they're bound to be 20+ years old and likely a little worn out. I think EricTheCarGuy or ChrisFix (YouTube channels) has a good video on checking your cables.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
        Sounds good thanks
        Somehow i cant reply on the tapatalk app

Comment

Originally posted by sandrune View Post
          Id try to clean your icv and maybe your throttle body and MAF sensor. The engine normally dips a little when turning, but this might be dirty and so when it dips it has trouble keeping idle. I'd also say check your plugs and wires. I had an idle issue and turns out one of my plugs wasn't seated correctly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
          Plugs were seated correctly. After inreplaced the plug it's much better, but still notnwhere it should be.
          Ill start with icv and see what happens

Comment

Working...
          X