Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by decay View Post
    i'm pretty sure he's taken cover.

when the mods complain about you being a little bitch, you're running out of options...
    But I was hoping for an education!

Obviously since I don't have a PhD/JD, I'm a poor excuse for a human being that doesn't deserve the air I breath!
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I see nothing has changed.
      90% personal attacks, 5% ego, 5% on topic.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
        The difference is, kids come out of school nowadays and think they deserve the kind of job I have now........right off the bat, just because they have a degree.
        Not to disagree with all your points... I certainly believe in "cutting one's teeth" to eventually make it to your ideal work situation. But you can't place all the blame on the kids graduating school. If I had paid $50,000+/- for my degree... I'd be pretty pissed to get a $30,000/yr job as well. That can easily be had with no degree and good work history. Just a thought.
        "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
        -----------------------------------------
        91 318is Turbo Sold
        87 325 Daily driver Sold
        06 4.8is X5
        06 Mtec X3
        05 4.4i X5 Sold
        92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
        90 325i Sold
        97 328is Sold
        01 323ci Sold
        92 325i Sold
        83 528e Totaled
        98 328i Sold
        93 325i Sold

Comment

I graduated with $25k in debt to a $36k/year job in 2005. It's life. Sorry you won't get to afford $9 coffee's every morning and organic, hipster food.

I moved in with a friend to save money, put some in the bank, etc.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

The real problem today (imho) are youth feel they are entitled. I had to work my way up. I ate shit held my tongue and worked hard, was the first one in & last to leave and it paid off.

Young people (in my observation) think they can sashay in late, do less than the minimum and leave early and get paid at the top tier.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

... and keep their noses in their phones checking social media all day.
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                ... and keep their noses in their phones checking R3V all day.
                fixed
                '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                Shadetree30

Comment

I graduated with $25k in debt to a $36k/year job in 2005. It's life. Sorry you won't get to afford $9 coffee's every morning and organic, hipster food.

I moved in with a friend to save money, put some in the bank, etc.
                  $9 coffee is a problem in and of itself... but not all youth are hipster entitled wallflowers. But even the ones who are not are saddled with the debt of higher education. My wife and I skipped it after doing 2 years and realizing we'd rather be paying a mortgage than sally mae. I loved school, and would go back if it were reasonable, but it didn't make financial sense for us, and that was back in 2000. Tuitions are only rising...

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                  The real problem today (imho) are youth feel they are entitled. I had to work my way up. I ate shit held my tongue and worked hard, was the first one in & last to leave and it paid off.

Young people (in my observation) think they can sashay in late, do less than the minimum and leave early and get paid at the top tier.
                  I don't disagree, and definitely believe in personal responsibility/accountability. But again... not ALL of today's young adults act this way.

The REAL problem today are the parents of the youth you complain about. The enablers and coddlers.
                  Last edited by Schnitzer318is; 09-07-2017, 10:23 PM.
                  "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                  91 318is Turbo Sold
                  87 325 Daily driver Sold
                  06 4.8is X5
                  06 Mtec X3
                  05 4.4i X5 Sold
                  90 325i Sold
                  97 328is Sold
                  01 323ci Sold
                  92 325i Sold
                  83 528e Totaled
                  98 328i Sold
                  93 325i Sold

Comment

Your right, not all of the youth of today are like that, but the ones that are not like that, stand out from the crowd and are generally treated better and are rewarded financially for it.

At least in my industry.
                    Originally posted by codyep3
                    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                    2010 F650gs twin
                    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                      $9 coffee is a problem in and of itself... but not all youth are hipster entitled wallflowers. But even the ones who are not are saddled with the debt of higher education. My wife and I skipped it after doing 2 years and realizing we'd rather be paying a mortgage than sally mae. I loved school, and would go back if it were reasonable, but it didn't make financial sense for us, and that was back in 2000. Tuitions are only rising...
                      No problem with $9 coffee if that's how you want to spend your money.

Yes, tuition is rising. Also, STEM degrees are declining in favor of Liberal Arts. And fewer young people are learning trades. I'm sorry your Marketing degree isn't worth the same as an ME or EE (again, many young kids think it should be)

If I could back, I would have been an electrical apprentice so I could eventually work for myself or try to build my own business.

You can't outsource electricians, plumbers, HVAC, mechanics, etc.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

If I could back, I would have been an electrical apprentice so I could eventually work for myself or try to build my own business.

I've thought about this many times. In middle school/high school, I ran a small landscaping business which until now was the best job I've had in terms of $/hour. I easily pushed all the neighborhood landscaping companies out and if I had more time (like wasn't going to school) I could've expanded quite rapidly (I regularly turned down more business). I always wonder what the return would've been if I'd have spent three years building a landscaping/construction/whatever business instead of taking debt to go to college for 3 years.

One of my cousins went to trade school and became a carpenter, he lives in Denver. He's very good at what he does, makes a killing (200k plus), loves his work, no debt, low overhead. I also wonder what life would've been like if I followed that track.

It looks like we will start facing shortages of workers in these trades in the next 10-15 years or so when a good chunk of the baby boomers start retiring.
                        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Theres definitely a growing gap in trade workers. I really enjoyed the Industrial Engineering classes I was taking as a ME student, but I had the wrong mentality and rather than focusing on becoming a badass welder/ machinist I really wanted to be a ME and failed at it... ~10 years later my career has grown due to hard work and Im back finishing my degree now. I will have ~$25k in student loans when Im done, but I should see an increase in my annual salary by about the same so its definitely cost effective for me.

The immediate access to information due to the internet has created the same type of " I want it now" mentality, and that is the same attitude the students have when they graduate with their Communications Degree and expect to be making $60k+ / year.

-Posted from my work computer :)
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post

Seems like kind of a catch all for a generation, like something an older generation would say.

This is a lot more complicated then that, Inflation rising faster then minimum wage, housing market being unreasonable because of artificial demand, more and more consumer protections being removed. Lots of these are causing a generational change in how young people see money. Many of them (myself included) live fairly well with their parents, who always talk about 'just had to go to school and got a job right out of college and bought a house' like its a fresh new kids meme. The reality becomes that if you are choosing a job that is service related, tech related, engineering, you name it. The likelyhood of it being in a high population area is great, which means the costs are going to be higher then the younger generation is likely to get paid. This is where you are hearing the whining, and a lot of it is justified. Unless our 'free market' can get a balance going again its going to get more and more extreme. Even now my parents are complaining about housing prices being ridiculous, in some places swinging up 30-50% over just a year.

Back to the dumb topic, there is rampant propaganda of Anti-intellectualism growing in America. This idea that the College educated adult somehow wants to punish the average farm boy for not being smart. Leading to this propaganda to 'stick it to them libs', 'science is fake' whatever. Politics are creating a national divide by convincing the poor they are dumb, and convincing the rich/educated they are better then the poor.

The real problem isnt the people here, its the political leaders, and the free market abusing consumers to create profitable enviroments.
                            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                            willschnitz

Comment

Yes, tuition is rising. Also, STEM degrees are declining in favor of Liberal Arts. And fewer young people are learning trades. I'm sorry your Marketing degree isn't worth the same as an ME or EE (again, many young kids think it should be)

"Wave"

23 year IP ticket plumber
                              23 year ticketed gas fitter
                              18 year ticketed restricted b HE electrician here
                              Originally posted by codyep3
                              I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                              2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                              1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                              1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                              2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                              2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                              2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                              2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                              2010 F650gs twin
                              2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

I agree with all of that... except those wasting money on $9 coffees, regardless of affordability. ;) If people stopped buying them... they'd go down in price. Like iPhones.
                                91 318is Turbo Sold
                                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                                06 4.8is X5
                                06 Mtec X3
                                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                                90 325i Sold
                                97 328is Sold
                                01 323ci Sold
                                92 325i Sold
                                83 528e Totaled