3.1 Stroker Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.1 Stroker Questions

So I'm in the middle of a 3.1 stroker and the machine shop called me today and said the pistons are sticking passed the deck of the block by 0.066". I was wondering if that's what happens because of the longer stroke or is something else wrong?

For reference I'm running vac 11:1 compression ratio pistons with m20 connecting rods and s52 crank.

Originally posted by E30arsen View Post
    So I'm in the middle of a 3.1 stroker and the machine shop called me today and said the pistons are sticking passed the deck of the block by 0.066". I was wondering if that's what happens because of the longer stroke or is something else wrong?

For reference I'm running vac 11:1 compression ratio pistons with m20 connecting rods and s52 crank.
    If you are building a 3.1l stroker you need custom pistons (Which you have) and the crank sprocket spacer/ oil seal. It also needs a block overbore and possibly the bottom of the cylinder bored clearances to clear the rods.

Stock rods are 135 mm
    the s52 crank has a 89.6 mm throw
    overbore + 1 or + 2 mm to get over 3.0 L of displacement, 86 mm bore is about the biggest you can go.

In order for the combo to work you need custom pistons which you seem to have gotten from VAC. I would verify the order of the pistons because it sounds like they were not built to spec, or the specs they used were wrong for this combo.

Depending on the design of the piston, the crown could stick above the block (like the stock 'i' pistons) which is why most 3.1l strokers can't use a stock headgasket, the pistons come out of the bock a bit and might hit the headgasket.

.066" is 1.68 mm which is way more than a correctly designed pistons should come out of the block, atleast if they are measuring from the side of the piston and not the center.

Looks like if these are your pistons they come out of the bore a bit, maybe the 'piano top' style pistons is what they are measuring. I would verify where the difference is and call Vac with the order number to get some dimensions and have them verified with the machine shop.

For BMW M20B25 stroked engine Stroke: 81mm; 84mm; 86mm; 89.6mm. Bore Size: 84mm; 84.5mm; 85mm. Compression Ratio: 8.5:1; 8.8:1; 10:1; 10.25:1; 11:1; 11.25:1.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
      If you are building a 3.1l stroker you need custom pistons (Which you have) and the crank sprocket spacer/ oil seal. It also needs a block overbore and possibly the bottom of the cylinder bored clearances to clear the rods.

Stock rods are 135 mm
      the s52 crank has a 89.6 mm throw
      overbore + 1 or + 2 mm to get over 3.0 L of displacement, 86 mm bore is about the biggest you can go.

In order for the combo to work you need custom pistons which you seem to have gotten from VAC. I would verify the order of the pistons because it sounds like they were not built to spec, or the specs they used were wrong for this combo.

Depending on the design of the piston, the crown could stick above the block (like the stock 'i' pistons) which is why most 3.1l strokers can't use a stock headgasket, the pistons come out of the bock a bit and might hit the headgasket.

.066" is 1.68 mm which is way more than a correctly designed pistons should come out of the block, atleast if they are measuring from the side of the piston and not the center.

Looks like if these are your pistons they come out of the bore a bit, maybe the 'piano top' style pistons is what they are measuring. I would verify where the difference is and call Vac with the order number to get some dimensions and have them verified with the machine shop.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/cp-...ked-p3724.aspx
      I bought these pistons, crank, and oil seal spacer from the forum. He never used them. The pistons are 86 mm and for an 89.6 mm stroke.

Would it make a difference using s52 connecting rods?

Because the guy I got them off of were going to use high strength s52 rods but I couldn't afford them, so I decided to reuse mine.

I'll try calling vac tomorrow because they're already closed right now.

Comment

What part of the piston sticks above the deck of the block ? I.e. Is it at The edge or is it the dome closer to the middle.

Find out the compression height CH of the Pistons from vac.

Ask the machine shop for the deck height.

The s52 rods are the same Length as m20b25 rods
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

So I think it's the edge of the piston.

The compression height is 1.128"/28.65 mm

So I called CP Pistons and they said the block was probably decked. Because the amount it's sticking out by is way too much.

The person I was talking with said that my best bet would be to run a thicker head gasket.

So my next question is how thick should I get? Because the stock thickness is 0.070", so should I just get a 0.120" or a 0.140"?

Comment

The pistons are for a 86 mm stroke crank.
            (86/2) +135 +28.65 = 206.65
            Last edited by E30-325iS; 08-10-2017, 02:06 PM. Reason: Waffles between the mm and stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by E30arsen View Post
              So my next question is how thick should I get? Because the stock thickness is 0.070", so should I just get a 0.120" or a 0.140"?
              Place the pistons as close to .045" (1.14mm) from the head as you can, at TDC. Since we don't know how much your head is shaved, the head gasket advice will vary - plus you will want to leave room for head rebuilds in the future, safe to say, leave .005" (.13mm) extra for future rebuilds.

.120" sounds like the ticket to me, but best to measure.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I was think that these pistons might be for a different crank. I figured it was matched for each other because the guy I bought it off of was super knolageable.

Okay, I'll talk with my machine shop and get all the measurements verified before buying the head gasket.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Comment

yeah just needs custom MLS, like FF said whatever gives something 0.040-0.050 clearance is a good area to be in
                  Last edited by digger; 08-11-2017, 03:04 AM.
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Alright, so .120" will work perfectly. Thanks for the help guys.
                    Also a follow up question, what weight of oil should I run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X