Engine Removal Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Removal Procedure

I have a hoist and am getting ready to pull the engine to start my 2.8l stroker turbo build. What is the easiest way to remove the engine? i have the head removed (to send in my core to bimmerheads) and have built a plate that connects my load leveler to my engine block. Do you recommend pulling just the the block and leave the trans and drive line intact, since i can access the top bolts of the trans or should i pull the motor and trans together and leave the t case. This isnt covered in the bentley and every swap build i have seen has kind of glossed over the removal process. Any tips, tricks, or advice that will help me do this safely and correctly the first time would be greatly appreciated. I will be starting a build thread on the project forum to help others who are trying to do something similar with their ix. Thanks for your help.

If you have the space under the car and enough range on your load leveler, take the whole thing out at once.

Comment

including the transfer case? currently i have the rear end up on ramps and the front on jack stands. the front is lower than the rear and i figure i can lower the jack stands more if i need more clearance to get the engine/ trans over the front radiator support.

Comment

per recommendation of the IX Enthusiast group on Facebook, I dropped everything out below. It wasnt difficult.
        325IX Build Thread
        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

i dont have a lift or a way to jack the front up high enough to get the driveline out from underneath in a safe manner. can you pm a link to the facebook group? i just searched and most of ix groups seem to be private groups and based in other countries and inactive.

Comment

11 years ago...

The key was to have the rear wheels up on ramps, so I could lower the front end enough to clear while still having enough room for the transfercase. A load leveler is a must.

I'd drop it out the bottom if I did it again.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X