M20 auto in 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 auto in 318i

I've searched quite a bit for this, but haven't really come up with much--probably because to some it is the worst thing to do to an e30 318. Here is my delima... my wife cannot drive a manual to save her life. I found a donor 325i auto that I would like to swap the motor and tranny into the 318. Can anyone tell me if this is feasible and not too complicated if so? From what I have read I would need the ecu, gearbox, motor mounts, and of course the tranny and engine, anything else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think that's the worst thing in the world- the WORST would be to put an auto trans behind an M10!

You want the entire wiring harness and all electronics. You may be able to get away with
    the 318 body harness, but I wouldn't count on it.

Other things- you'll want the driveshaft, diff, axle shafts (maybe), rear trailing arms and brakes, master cylinder (318 is different for drums) front struts (318 has smaller inserts)
    and instrument cluster. Shifting linkage, obviously, and pedal cluster, probably.

I'm sure there are other things... If the 325 is later than about 5-87, there will be a bunch of cosmetic connector differences for everything from the headlight switch to the diff speed sensor. If the donor has an airbag, you need the airbag steering column to match the pedals.

If you can sit the 2 cars side- by- side, it'll be pretty straightforward.
    If you have to grab everything out of the Pull-a-Part, it might be a big hassle...

I say go for it.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thanks for the reply, sounds like a project. I am going to look at the donor today, if it looks decent I might just get rid of the 318 and keep the auto 325. The head is bad, bent valves and broken rockers. He has also sold off a few parts, but nothing too serious from the way he talks. We'll see. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X