URGENT, Terrible misfire from 2-3K RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

URGENT, Terrible misfire from 2-3K RPM

Hey guys this is pretty urgent as i need to get this figured out by tomorrow night.

Car: 05/1988 325is

Problem: Horrible misfire from 2-3k rpm, if you can get the engine to rev past that it will pull hard to redline. But from 2-3k the engine will buck and misfire terribly. Engine idles fine both hot and cold. Will not maintain speed on highway.

Things I've checked:
    Fuel pump ( 36-39 PSI) replaced fuel pump and got same number)
    Fuel pressure regulator ( when vac hose is pulled off pressure rises 5-7PSI)
    CPS ( 540ohm and very clean on the end)
    Coil ( resistance was a tad high but i replaced it and got almost the same number with a different coil)
    Plug leads all are in good condition
    Cap and rotor were done less then 5k ago and when i pulled the engine they looked brand new.
    Intake boot is brand new
    Fuel lines are good condition
    TPS is new and responds perfectly to stomp test
    Spark plugs are pretty new
    O2 sensor is new
    Grounds are good (tested with multimeter from intake manifold to shock tower)
    All upper gaskets new ( head gasket is good, no mixing)
    Fresh oil and filter
    New fuel pump relay
    new gates racing timing belt and tensioner
    no overheating issues
    Engine starts quickly every time.

I'm really running out of ideas here, my friend is bringing over a different ECU later to try and see if its that.
    I will post a video in the morning but i really really need to get this fixed tomorrow.

Thanks guys im kinda desperate at this point
    Last edited by Herr Faust Schinken; 01-27-2017, 07:52 PM.
    88 325is Five Speed
    Lachssilber

Have your same friend crank it at night time while you watch the engine bay closely.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

So this is what's happening https://vimeo.com/201444985
      88 325is Five Speed
      Lachssilber

Comment

What is that knocking sound??
        As far as your problem it really sounds like an ignition miss. What brand are the cap and rotor? I've had cheap aftermarket parts store caps cause bad missfires right out of the box.

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
          What is that knocking sound??
          As far as your problem it really sounds like an ignition miss. What brand are the cap and rotor? I've had cheap aftermarket parts store caps cause bad missfires right out of the box.

I need to adjust the valves I think, the cap and rotor are bremi

Replaced eco with known good unit and it didn't make a difference. the misfire seems to be more on throttle position than anything because now it is misfiring at higher rpm also
          Last edited by Herr Faust Schinken; 01-28-2017, 11:59 AM.
          88 325is Five Speed
          Lachssilber

Comment

maybe the throttle body is fucked up, take the boot off and see whats up

I had a car come through once, and that was the problem with the same symptoms you're having

I replied the same thing in the chat, but lets just talk about that here since you started a thread
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
              maybe the throttle body is fucked up, take the boot off and see whats up

I had a car come through once, and that was the problem with the same symptoms you're having

I replied the same thing in the chat, but lets just talk about that here since you started a thread
              so i changed the AFM and i know get a check engine light for the afm, it dosent misfire as badly but it hesitates and around 1.5k and then catches up around 3.5k .The throttle body pulls back smooth so i don't think anything is wrong there
              88 325is Five Speed
              Lachssilber

Comment

That knock is serious. Does not sound like valve noise to me

Comment

Adjust valves and check afm

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
                    So this is what's happening https://vimeo.com/201444985
                    Can I get the .xdf/bin files for your anti-lag tune?

On a serious note. That knock sounds bad.. I would agree with efficient and check the specs of your AFM.

Keep us updated though
                    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

I'm voting for spun bearing

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                      i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                      Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                        I'm voting for spun bearing

That's what the consensus is, which is really annoying because I just had the motor apart and it was running absolutely fantastic until last week. It went from perfect to fucked in like 100 miles. It has a new oil pump in it too. I think I'm going to try and find a eta long block to build a 2.7i.
                        88 325is Five Speed
                        Lachssilber

Comment

Had the same problem, i had the bosch 4 prong spark plugs in i switched it out to the single prong plugs and fixed my issue. Worked for me

Comment

Try replacing the harmonic balancer (what the CPS reads off of.) Honestly.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                            X