This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Julien View Post
    I was refering to cuting the back end off the hub and making new splines to alllow it to sit deeper into the wheel bearing
    so you want to machine a Z3 hub down and use factory E30 M3 rotors and calipers im guessing? Ive heard that finding rear caliper brackets for the M3 is near impossible.. E32 750 ones are the same supposedly but you have to use a modified 318Ti bracket (??)

add that to the cost and potential safety risk of modifying your hub and it may be easier and less costly to just go with the setup like Aptyp suggests

Aptyp, BTW- Where did you source your used Z3 rear hubs (if you did in fact get used ones.. i dont know of course) I ordered mine (i thought i did) from Bavarian auto recycling and a box showed up today with diff output flanges for the driveshafts. I was kinda annoyed but after calling them i was more than annoyed. the guy said they cannot sell wheel hub flanges cause its pressed into the trailing arm. I said well i asked the guy on the phone for wheel flanges and thats what he charged me for and thats what i thought i was getting.. so i want my $ back! he said no cash refunds, only store credit.
    i said well i dont need anything else from you guys so i want my money instead.. he said 35 % re-stocking fee!!! what a bunch of losers!!
    now im gonna have to think of something i need for my car i guess that i can get from them in return for these useless drive flanges.
    in the meantime i will search again for used ones. new ones cost 100 bucks a side i think
    Last edited by bimmer630; 03-17-2009, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Julien, the splined part of the hub is only so deep, without major machine skills and amazing fabrication skills, this option should be out of question, because it would cost more than buying e30 m3 parts.

Indeed, junk yards don't sell hubs separately from trailing arms (unless it's a pick-and-pull, and no one's watching)... I bought mine with trailing arms and brakes at a local yard for $250.

Comment

ok, it was just an idea- thanks for the input
        Build Threads:
        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

no worries, I like seeing new ways of doing this, so if you want to try it, please do. I'd love to see another option on the table.

when are you coming back to Asheville, by the way?

Comment

I was looking around for rear flanges for my swap and wondering what other flanges might fit.. Im sure Aptyp you have cross referenced alot of parts to find out what fits.. but did you notice that the rear wheel bearing part #'s are the same for E36 sedans and Z3's? the flanges use a different number, have you looked at them side by side? maybe they have a diff. depth for diff. brakes or whatever..
            just makes me wonder you know cause if the center hole of the bearing is the same size maybe there are some other options for flanges. Im having trouble finding wrecked
            Z3's and when i do nobody wants to pull the flanges off.. new ones are 100 bucks maybe i should stop being a cheapskate and just buy them but if i can source parts from an E36 i know where there are a couple of them.
            here are the #'s
            33 41 1 093 567 e36 328 hub
            33 41 1 130 617 e36 328 bearing

33 41 1 095 772 Z3 2.8 hub
            33 41 1 130 617 z3 2.8 bearing

Comment

Well, the thing is this, that bearing fits nearly every 3-series up to end of e46 production.

Hubs are VERY VERY different. e36 hub is a lot smaller in depth, and when installed it touches parking brake. Hub sits 6mm closer to the parking brake than e30 hub. If you chose not to run parking brakes, they would work, but then e36 rotor wouldn't fit. e30 and e36 rotors are nearly the same in all dimensions (exception is rotor surface), so those 10mm difference have to be made up somehow.

Currently, I am playing with an idea of scrapping parking brakes, and installing front rotor on rear hub. Run big brakes all around. So far problem I ran into, is that rotor is not hub centric on the hub. There's a 2.5mm difference in diameter. I an still beating this idea, we'll see where it leads.

Here you can see that difference in depth.
              e36:

e30:

That difference in beveled part.
              Last edited by Aptyp; 03-19-2009, 10:55 AM.

Comment

aptyp..., You wrote above that ANY rear caliper from an E36 will work, right? and you said when doing so you simply flip them side to side to get the lines to be in the right places? Is that only when using non-Ti parts?
                I have rear calipers and brackets from an E36 Ti and also a set from an E36 325. they look very similar in all aspects except the position of the bleeder screws.
                The Ti calipers have the bleeder screw pointed in the same direction as the line inlet, and the 325 calipers have the bleeders pointed opposite the lines.
                Attached Files

Comment

Whatever is that on the bottom, do NOT use.

... yes, you can use e36 325, 318ti, and z3 calipers...

Comment

the ones on the bottom are from a 325 e36. top ones are almost brand new Ti calipers. the bottom ones were sitting outside for a while by the looks of it but the pistons still move freely. are you saying dont use them because they look rough or because the position of the lines/bleeders?

Comment

Don't use them, because they look like crap, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                        You can also do e30 M3 drive flanges/bearings/axle nuts/locks/rotors/pads with e36 318ti/Z3 rear carriers with e32 735 rear calipers on the rear...

E36 318ti carriers will need slight modification to fit over the e30 M3 rear rotors

Punch yourself in the nuts for this...

I was playing with e30 m3 earlier, and I learned something new: you can put e36 325i rotor over m3 hub with 318ti/z3 carrier and any e36 caliper. Who would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                          Punch yourself in the nuts for this...

I was playing with e30 m3 earlier, and I learned something new: you can put e36 325i rotor over m3 hub with 318ti/z3 carrier and any e36 caliper. Who would have thought.

Well thats good to know now, but at the time I did my swap I had to get a resolution to my problem quickly. I was sold what was suppose to have been e30 m3 rear carriers/calipers, but when it was time to bolt them up they were in fact e32 carriers/calipers, plus I already had the new rotors/pads on hand. So I had to get a quick fix since it was sitting on jackstands at a friends house and I had already rebuilt the calipers and new brass quide pins for them. And to be able to use the e32 calipers I could only use the e36 318ti carriers with that slight mod done to them to get it to work.

Either way it would have cost about the same, and in the end I planned on front and rear BBK's from Massive Brakes anyways...

Glad you are tinkering with the different possibilities out there though...

:up:

Comment

yeah, I was bored, and I am still kicking my ass on a few other possibilities. I was thinking of machining e30 and e36 hubs and weld them together. Kind of create a cheaper version of e30 m3 hub. That would make for the best set up, without spending a shit ton on e30 m3 trailing arms. I have both e30 and e36 hub at the moment, and all that e30 hub needs is e36 bolt-up plate... yeah, this is what I day dream of. I'm such a loser, lol.

Comment

e30 trailing arms are the same as e30 M3 trailing arms... Only the hub is different

Comment

I know, no ones sells m3 hubs separately, though. At least not reasonably cheap...

Comment

Working...
                                X