X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I wanna see da boat movie"
    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Can you do this with the tranny in the car?
      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

i find that the actual shift bearing (part #6) has too much play in it as well. imma try those derlin bushings. i drive a $400 s10 with less slop then my newly "bushinged" e30 lol
        '87 325is [because racecar]
        '81 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD {summer dd}
        '97 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited (winter dd)

Comment

I got the shift bushing kit off of pelican parts. NO GODDAMN DIFFERENCE.

Comment

I replaced all bushings with delrin and got a new selector rod end knuckle or whatever its called and my shifter still feels like shit too. I was told the slop is in the transmission itself, nothing you can do aside from complete rebuild.

I've worked at 2 BMW specialty shops and I can honestly say I have only felt maybe 2 E30/E36 shifters that didn't suck.
            sigpic
            1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
              I replaced all bushings with delrin and got a new selector rod end knuckle or whatever its called and my shifter still feels like shit too. I was told the slop is in the transmission itself, nothing you can do aside from complete rebuild.

I've worked at 2 BMW specialty shops and I can honestly say I have only felt maybe 2 E30/E36 shifters that didn't suck.
              That's actually comforting to know, because I make my own shift boots out of a suede material and they always get a hole right where the shift lever goes into the Reverse and 5th, so I end up making a new one every 6 months or so. But by that time they are generally already faded by the sun.

Comment

The much better solution.

E30 M30 B35 Swap Mounts!
                http://store.garagistic.com/ocart/e3...=5475809a87e04

Comment

yeah. it really sucks. i got every replaceable part new from the dealer including a 1.9z lever, knuckle, all bushings washers clips etc... and while there was an improvement in shifter feel, i still feel like i could accidentally money shift from 3rd to second. slop especially left of center is annoying to the point where it's less accurate.

my shifter seems to have a lot more side to side "looseness" left of center (where gears 1-2-3-4 are)opposed to right of center (selecting 3-4-5 gears side) play, which has much more "springy force" back to center.

this particularly bothers me:
                  when I'm in neutral and i press the lever straight right, it has a good, moderate amount of pressure pushing back towards center. now if i press the lever straight left from neutral, there is much less pressure towards center. it just kind of "slops" back into the center position, as opposed to the nice tight springback feel i get from the right side.

how do i remedy this? it bothers me a lot. i may even consider disassembling the case to fix this. it really is annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by wakeboardr42393 View Post
                    how do i remedy this? it bothers me a lot. i may even consider disassembling the case to fix this. it really is annoying.

The left to right difference should be felt, but both sides should be relatively springy when you are playing with the lever. However, in real driving you don't notice the spring back, but rather the resistance of selecting the gear.

IMG_3683 by mattrides, on Flickr

My set up was amazing... Honestly don't know what you guys are complaining about :???:

Oh, and yes I did support the lay shaft, it's just not in the photo
                    sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Originally posted by mohamed... View Post

Do these really help significantly?
                      sigpic
                      1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

The shifter with the Dssr with five you a short crisp shift. Now that I have it I honestly don't know how I had a z3 shifter even with a Dssr.

E30 M30 B35 Swap Mounts!
                        http://store.garagistic.com/ocart/e3...=5475809a87e04

Comment

Originally posted by henryki View Post
                          I got the shift bushing kit off of pelican parts. NO GODDAMN DIFFERENCE.
                          I have no idea why, but this made me lol pretty hard. Get a Z3 shifter conversion. I have it for my 2.7i turbo and I fuckin' love it. So much better over stock. I cannot imagine it being any worse than the 4 mile stock shifter travel.
                          1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                          2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                          2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by mohamed... View Post
                            The shifter with the Dssr with five you a short crisp shift. Now that I have it I honestly don't know how I had a z3 shifter even with a Dssr.
                            I've been contemplating getting a DSSR since day 1 of owning my E30, so what is your shifter setup exactly?

And on another note will you be at that MoVal meet tomorrow?

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
                            I have no idea why, but this made me lol pretty hard. Get a Z3 shifter conversion. I have it for my 2.7i turbo and I fuckin' love it. So much better over stock. I cannot imagine it being any worse than the 4 mile stock shifter travel.
                            I'm glad my frustration brought some kind of joy to you hahaha, but the length of the shift doesn't bother me as much as the fact that I can make it look like it's in 5th gear when in reality it's in 1st lol

Comment

Originally posted by henryki View Post
                              I'm glad my frustration brought some kind of joy to you hahaha, but the length of the shift doesn't bother me as much as the fact that I can make it look like it's in 5th gear when in reality it's in 1st lol
                              +1 lol

I also wonder how much of a diffference the dssr makes. any testimony? or even that AKG motorsport shifter. any good?

Comment

I just wanted to say that this thread really saved my ass when I had K's iX up on the lift with the transfer case and transmission out, and I discovered that the piece of shit UUC delrin bushing was looser on the (supplied) bitch clip and in the carrier than the 29 year old stock piece.
                                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X