No announcement yet.

Calling Audi Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have owned several VAG cars and loved them all. I have had a couple B5 Avants and really like them, I love the way they look and how the interiors feel. My current Avant is a 2001.5 so it has a bunch of nice facelift updates.

Bahama Beige E23 Project
    Bluebird Bus Conversion
    New Oregon Trail

Comment

Originally posted by XwalkerX View Post
      cmon the e90 335 cars with the n54 have a bunch of issues besides the hpfp (which seem to fail more than once)...I read about needing to get the intakes walnut blasted, rattling wastegates, turbo failure, coilpacks, injectors, and oil filter housing leaks.
      Every and any direct injection car is having the same carbon buildup issues. We actually Use BMWs blasting tool in VW and Audi products that have the same problem. And Id say its MUCH more common in the VW/Audi products .

OH and for this BS
      as to the gent bashing the 3.0l v6 I think you may have just bought a car built on Friday. my best friend owned a b5 3.0 he originally bought as a winter car/commuter car with 190k for $800 and the car would NOT die. he owned it for 2 years and aside from oil changes he only had to replace a wheel bearing and the headunit.
      That was the 2.8 Motor if it was in a B5, not the fucking shitpile 3.0 Motor. the 2.8 was a fairly ok motor, I really have no gripes with it except when theyd burn oil and the Secondary air valves on the back of the heads fail/get clogged and their something like $250 a peice . Hes really lucky the timing belt never went.

The 3.0 Motor is the one with the shitty Variable valve timing gears, that get clogged with oil easily, and are $700 a peice to replace. Then the Catalytic Convertors fail and the Passenger side one is almost IMPOSSIBLE to replace(In the A4), because Audi engineers have the intelligence of a wet sock and make NONE of the hardware easy to get to.

OH and try to do a steering rack in a 3.0 A4. Have fun. Same story as the Cat, none of the hardware is accessible .
      1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
      1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
      1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
      1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

My grandfather swears by them and says they are good cars, but I personally think they are over engineered. Too many coolant and vacuum lines to take a dump once it is out of warranty. I don't even think about trying to work on those because of the lack of room and knowledge.
        1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
        2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
        2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by XwalkerX View Post
          cmon the e90 335 cars with the n54 have a bunch of issues besides the hpfp (which seem to fail more than once)...I read about needing to get the intakes walnut blasted, rattling wastegates, turbo failure, coilpacks, injectors, and oil filter housing leaks.
          maybe but none of those issues are all that expensive or difficult to fix. the wastegates were covered under a emissions warranty and I'm sure turbo failure is mostly due to the guys running high boost on stock turbos. The E9x isn't perfect but for the most part they're pretty easy to work on and they are generally solid cars.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My ex's father had a 05 a6 avant with the 3.2. He bought it with ~190k and when I last saw him a few months ago it had 220k. He didn't have any problems with it and it looked like a 50k mile car inside and out. I drove it a few times and I was surprised how nice it rode. Don't know much else about the car though.

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
              That was the 2.8 Motor if it was in a B5, not the fucking shitpile 3.0 Motor. the 2.8 was a fairly ok motor, I really have no gripes with it except when theyd burn oil and the Secondary air valves on the back of the heads fail/get clogged and their something like $250 a peice . Hes really lucky the timing belt never went.

The 3.0 Motor is the one with the shitty Variable valve timing gears, that get clogged with oil easily, and are $700 a peice to replace. Then the Catalytic Convertors fail and the Passenger side one is almost IMPOSSIBLE to replace(In the A4), because Audi engineers have the intelligence of a wet sock and make NONE of the hardware easy to get to.

OH and try to do a steering rack in a 3.0 A4. Have fun. Same story as the Cat, none of the hardware is accessible .
              you got me there I was def thinking of the 2.8L

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                Then the Catalytic Convertors fail and the Passenger side one is almost IMPOSSIBLE to replace(In the A4), because Audi engineers have the intelligence of a wet sock and make NONE of the hardware easy to get to.
                Ease of part replacement is not a good measure of an Engineers intelligence.

If you all are so concerned about ease of repair then go buy a bicycle. A job is only as hard as you make it. So you have to put in a little extra effort, work smart not hard.

I don't think a wet sock could build this.
                No E30 Club
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Finally something I got knowledge off
                  2004 A4 B6 1.8T 125K
                  most plastics will fail around 100K if it hasnt it will
                  thermostat housing
                  rear coolant flange along with coolant sensor
                  somehow halfshaft fail due to ripping of the plastic covers, easy 10 min replacement
                  timing belt 70-80K miles, easy once you put the car in service mode
                  DO NOT GET A CVT transmission ( yes, I know, but I wanted to rant about that)
                  the dreaded vaccum hoses need replacing
                  fan switch
                  diverter valve

all this happen to me within a couple of months... bought a Motoza chip and never installed it since I didnt want any more issues

but honestly if youre mechanically incline you should be able to fix it rather quickly and VWvortex, Audizine forums have a lot of DIY with pics and no nonse tutorials, honestly BMW are not bullet proof either

Comment

I bought a 2002 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 5 speed over the winter for less then $1,000. They lost control in a snow storm driving on completely bald tires (cording was showing) and went into a tree. This is how I bought it at the PO's house. 178,000 miles and a VERY VERY VERY VERY good service record since it was bought 3 owners ago (Im the 4th just like my e30).

Dont hit anything like that. I had to replace a lot more than I expected....
                    -Bumper
                    -Reinforcement
                    -Radiator support
                    -Radiator
                    -AC condenser
                    -AC Line
                    -Motor mounts
                    -Transmission mounts
                    -Driveshaft
                    ect......
                    And since the front has to be off to do the timing I did that also.

Since then I have fixed almost everything and this is how it is now.

But in the end I loved every second of working on it and will eventually sell it to get a wagon of the same year range(B6).

Feedback Thread

Comment

I've owned my '08 B7 A4 Quattro 2.0t since new for the past 6 years. Although it honestly has not ever left me stranded- it does have its common VAG issues. The 2.0FSI has ultra-common oil consumption issues- I have to add a FULL QUART of oil every 2,000 miles. That is how much it eats- its crazy. Audi says its "Normal" and to "Carry oil in the trunk"- bitch please, some upper middle class wife is going to buy this car and you expect her to stop on the side of the highway to refill the engine oil when the light comes on? I complained once this started eating oil around 20k miles, they ended up at 30k miles removing the intake/head and hot tanking the carbon deposits off of it. It helped for a bit, then the same conditions came back not long after. Today at 95k it takes about 1/2qt every 1,800ish miles.

On the plus side- it's not a very fast car, but it is very quick. I removed the cat and replaced with a straight pipe and APR Stg 2 ECU reflash. Boosts the turbo from stock 9lbs to 20lbs- big bump. Stock 199hp and I was supposedly getting 270hp after the tune/straight pipe. Great in the snow, with winter tires that is- don't expect anything special with summer tires.

I'm selling mine too- I'm due for something new and bigger. I need more room for my 100lb Doberman and need something with a tow hitch to cart my junk cars around in. Looking at the X5 Diesels that are a few years old- and very affordable every year older you go....

555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                      '95 BMW e34 525i
                      '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                      '92 Range Rover Classic
                      '90 Range Rover Classic
                      '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                      '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                      '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                      '67 Pontiac LeMans
                      '24 Model T Depot Hack
                      ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

OP - Maybe you need an RS2, built by Porscheā€¦.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rs2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	7177323

Places to look for info and tech articles are quattroworld.com and the old audiworld.com.

Comment

I leased a 99 A4 Quattro 1.8t and while I loved the feel of the car I hated the turbo engine with a passion. Between the lag and the fact that the auto trans could never make up its mind what gear to be in, I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Fast forward to last fall, I was at a DUI Sheriffs auction and found an 02 A6 Quattro 3.0. Aside from the nose damage (isn't driving in to a tree how most drunks get caught) it had brand new michelins, 70k and was basically clean. Before I went back to get it I found out the 100kmtiming belt interval had been shortened to 75kmsomi was a bit freaked that I was facing a huge pita on a car I never worked on. The good news is that there was a sticker showing a dealer had done the TB less than 1000mi ago (for $1900). I threw in a battery, a set of shocks (splurged on koni FSDs) and have put about 8k on it. It has hauled both a table saw AND mitre saw at once plus I put 10ft 2x4s inside with everything sealed up. Heated seats in winter, ice cold air in summer and I've managed to gather up matching black body parts so I can give it a cheap face lift

It's not my e30 but may be the best $2600 I ever spent on a car.
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

i mean if we are posting about epic old audi's...

sport quattro does it for me

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                              OP - Maybe you need an RS2, built by Porsche….

Places to look for info and tech articles are quattroworld.com and the old audiworld.com.
                              Still a few years before you can import those. For those without the RS2 budget, you can get a 80 Avant and build one yourself.

I miss my old 90 quattro 20v dearly.

Originally posted by Sonny
                              I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Took my '01 A4 1.8 Avant on a 700 mile trip this weekend. It ran 3500-3700 rpm all day (75-80). Over two passes, over the Continental Divide, water and oil needles didn't budge. A/C running the whole time. Everything dry, no oil used, no bad noises. This was my first major shale-down cruise since I put the engine in. Nice driving car. Got 30+ mpg.

Comment

Working...
                                X