rod and crank bearings for m30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rod and crank bearings for m30

Sup fam, so I'm looking to get new bearings for my crank and rods and don't know what sizes I need. My crank has 6 green dots and one red one, the red one being the dot closest to the end with the gear on it. I had my dad mic the journals, but I believe some user error was involved. Though the micromenter was zeroed, accurate, most of the measurements came out to 59.990 for the mains, 47.990 for the rod journals. According to this link http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...n-bearing-spec green corresponds to mains ranging in diameter from 59.977mm to 59.983mm.

according to this link http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...build-Question red bearing part number comes up as yellow, which is believable as my journal next to my lone red dot also measured 59.997 a few thousands over what the standard yellows cover, which is the largest size bearing bmw used. This leads me to believe the few thousandths I'm over is entirely user error or improper procedure. The 59.990mm measured on my green dotted journals is the same approx .007mm over what green bearings cover.

The original crank bearings are clean, only one of them had minor wear to it. If I can't figure out which color I need they're going back in.

I don't even know where to start with rod bearings.

Anyone have advice? I'm itching to assemble this thing.
    Last edited by Streichholzschächtelchen; 05-11-2016, 09:42 AM.
    Jah bless! :pimp:

Fuck it. I'm getting greens for the crank, and some plastigauge. Can't imagine journals getting bigger so I don't need yellows, and with how new things look I doubt I need whites.

Are there identifying marks I can look for to find out which rod bearings I need? They fall in the standard size range, but I don't get the whole red/blue thing.
    Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

get a micrometer and measure the journals. that's the only way to know if your crank has been machined and you need oversize bearings.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
      X