Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5-lug setup question.

Hey guys,
    Im new to the e30 world, I just picked up my first e30, its a 1989 325is. Its had some modification done to it, but what I'm focused on it the 5-lug setup it has. The E-brake has been disconnected and i wish to reconnect it but i am unaware of the kind of 5lug setup that has been done to it so i can't figure out what parts i need to get to reconnect the brake cable. I'll include plenty of pictures below and appreciate any help i can get.

Thanks, J

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	7249515

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	7249516

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	7249517

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	7249518

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	7249519

Looks thats z3m hub + caliper & rotors o stock e30 trailing arm..
    If you wanna retain parking brake, you need to check this out
    Last edited by ngampleh; 09-23-2016, 10:35 AM.
    [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
    Transaction Feedback

Comment

Here are some more photos of the TA

Comment

Hey, not sure if you got a response on this, but it appears to be a problem of e-brake cable length and/or missing parts. The rear setup seems like the rear calipers out of an e36 or z3 M.

I'm leaning towards e36 due to the spacers used on the caliper arm. I think if they had gone Z3M, they would have replaced using the whole trailing arm/hub/cv axles, and then swapped out using the z3M cables.

As far as options, don't quote this as 100% gospel as parts can add up in cost but i'd try the following:
        - take rotor off and see if you can install the parking brake shoes from an e36 M, or even just ones from a non M e36 (those are different diameter, so I'd assume m3). you could measure the rotor hub depth, and outside diameter to know for sure.
        - To 'attempt' to reuse existing parking brake cables, you could try and give yourself all the slack available. To do this, left up the parking brake handle boot, and loosen the retaining nuts for each cable. Use all the threads on the studs to give yourself a few inches of slack on the other end of the cable. Now try and slide the cable through the hub, and attach the pivot pin/brake shoe arm pieces on the cable. If you are able to install it, while the car is on jack stands (meaning trailing arm is at full extension), you sould be fine to finish the install.
        -If you cannot get that to work, you need longer cables, likely due to having z3M trailing arms...which stick out farther than the OEm trailing arm.

Use realoem.com to look up the original parking brake part numbers found for an e30. I was able to reuse all of my original cables/parts when doing my 5 lug swap, but I had to change my brake shoes. I also think the parts on the hub side of the parking brake cable (including pins, springs, and brake expansion arms inside the hub) are all the same between z3, e30, and e36. You could check your local junk yard for any of those vehicles to jackal some parts.

I think I have a bunch of spares in my garage as well. If you'd like me to put a package together, let me know. Shoot me a PM. I hope this helps a little bit, or at least give you some good buzz words to start your google search!

-Smackley

Comment

Originally posted by smackley View Post
          Hey, not sure if you got a response on this, but it appears to be a problem of e-brake cable length and/or missing parts. The rear setup seems like the rear calipers out of an e36 or z3 M.

I'm leaning towards e36 due to the spacers used on the caliper arm. I think if they had gone Z3M, they would have replaced using the whole trailing arm/hub/cv axles, and then swapped out using the z3M cables.

As far as options, don't quote this as 100% gospel as parts can add up in cost but i'd try the following:
          - take rotor off and see if you can install the parking brake shoes from an e36 M, or even just ones from a non M e36 (those are different diameter, so I'd assume m3). you could measure the rotor hub depth, and outside diameter to know for sure.
          - To 'attempt' to reuse existing parking brake cables, you could try and give yourself all the slack available. To do this, left up the parking brake handle boot, and loosen the retaining nuts for each cable. Use all the threads on the studs to give yourself a few inches of slack on the other end of the cable. Now try and slide the cable through the hub, and attach the pivot pin/brake shoe arm pieces on the cable. If you are able to install it, while the car is on jack stands (meaning trailing arm is at full extension), you sould be fine to finish the install.
          -If you cannot get that to work, you need longer cables, likely due to having z3M trailing arms...which stick out farther than the OEm trailing arm.

Use realoem.com to look up the original parking brake part numbers found for an e30. I was able to reuse all of my original cables/parts when doing my 5 lug swap, but I had to change my brake shoes. I also think the parts on the hub side of the parking brake cable (including pins, springs, and brake expansion arms inside the hub) are all the same between z3, e30, and e36. You could check your local junk yard for any of those vehicles to jackal some parts.

I think I have a bunch of spares in my garage as well. If you'd like me to put a package together, let me know. Shoot me a PM. I hope this helps a little bit, or at least give you some good buzz words to start your google search!

-Smackley
          Thanks! That's really useful information. I think I'm going to switch over to z3m trailing arms and cv axles. So that everything is proper and I won't have to use the spacers. Then I should just be able to change out the cable to a z3m cable and connect it to the brake shoes. If I end up needing some parts I'll definitely let you know.

Comment

any update ?
            [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
            [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
            Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
            X