No announcement yet.

The Grand Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Mike Skinner was a weird choice at first, but the character he is playing grew on me fast when I realized he hates foreign cars in the same way that the guys on top gear usually talk shit about Americans. I got a kick out of his "opinions" of the M2

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
      I thought Mike Skinner was a weird choice at first, but the character he is playing grew on me fast when I realized he hates foreign cars in the same way that the guys on top gear usually talk shit about Americans. I got a kick out of his "opinions" of the M2

"Couldn't pull a greasy string out of a dogs ass"

I got a chuckle out of that one

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I think a lot of bench racers underestimate the amount of skill required to be a good NASCAR driver by a fair amount.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 1-26

Comment

The Grand Tour

Originally posted by varg View Post
          I think a lot of bench racers underestimate the amount of skill required to be a good NASCAR driver by a fair amount.

With out a doubt. Going 200 mph into corners with inches between the cars and the walls. If you have ever noticed the drivers that come into nascar with a f1/ indy or other road racing back ground they are flops. They can make laps but they never run consistently or be competitive most end up going back to where they came from like Juan Pablo Montoya and Marcos Ambros, Danica Patrick while still competing isn't really competitive either more of a pretty face for the sport.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
            With out a doubt. Going 200 mph into corners with inches between the cars and the walls. If you have ever noticed the drivers that come into nascar with a f1/ indy or other road racing back ground they are flops. They can make laps but they never run consistently or be competitive most end up going back to where they came from like Juan Pablo Montoya and Marcos Ambros, Danica Patrick while still competing isn't really competitive either more of a pretty face for the sport.
            Successful drivers making lateral moves and seeing equal success is exceedingly rare, no matter where they start. It also doesn't make sense to move from where your bread is buttered to a place where you're unheard of, have no clout, and likely don't get paid as much to start. As for moves away from nascar driving there's more to it than "nascar drivers just can't compete outside of nascar" too. Who in their right mind would leave a well paid and respected position as a nascar driver to go overseas (there is no racing series in the US where you'll make nascar money) to basically start from scratch?

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            - updated 1-26

Comment

Remember when Lewis Hamilton and Tony Stewart traded cars at Watkins Glen a few years ago? Stewart was setting decent times in the F1 car and Hamilton was struggling if I remember correctly. However I think they could have picked a "better" driver. My pick would have been Robby Gordon.
              My Garage
              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Successful drivers making lateral moves and seeing equal success is exceedingly rare, no matter where they start. It also doesn't make sense to move from where your bread is buttered to a place where you're unheard of, have no clout, and likely don't get paid as much to start. There's more to it than "nascar drivers just can't compete outside of nascar." Who in their right mind would leave a well paid and respected position as a nascar driver to go overseas (there is no racing series in the US where you'll make nascar money) to basically start from scratch?

They do it. They get tired of it and wanna try something new. And yes your right its not easy to make a move and find success on both ends. But it just seemed like they couldn't do anything. I would like to see a nascar driver take up road course racing over seas. Your good at what you were brought up with. 80% of nascar drivers came from the oval dirt racing. It is funny how much more them guys get paid then your road racing drivers unless your a big time name like Hamilton.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I finally got to watch the first episode tonight. I thought it was pretty solid as well, though I agree the RAF joke could have done with one less cut. I had to go back and watch the intro a second time; it was nothing short of awesome.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Top Gear did an episode about exactly this. Richard Hammond started the episode with the usual european stance of talking down to americans like we're sub-human, nascar only turns left, there's no refinement or elegance to it etc, but he ended the episode with the realization that it's basically balls to the wall insane and takes a lot of skill.

Hence the irony of an american lap driver. I think they made a really cool decision doing what they did. I can only pray celebrity brain challenge or whatever isn't an actual thing...

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I looked at it like a band.

If every member of the Rolling Stones left the band, then went and formed a new band called say Rolled Stones, and they found new musicians to become the New Rolling Stones which is the real band?

Just like many bands, the original TG reboot was built on ideas that Clarkson and his partner at the time.

And just like a band, put them back on a stage together and they fall back in to their old shtick. I think they are just having some fun with trying out new bits. With Top Gear, yes it was still great with them at the helm, there was certain expectations or traditions that they may have gotten a little bored with or new stuff they wanted to try that the format wouldn't allow.. I mean, at some point you get tired of playing "Satisfaction" the same way, every show..

On a similar note, BBC needs to just let Top Gear die, or relaunch it with a completely new format. It has now become the imitators..
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I tried to watch Top Gear a few years ago, and could only take it in doses. Tried to watch this Grand Tour, and it was exactly the same. Interesting automotive specimens in ridiculous, contrived situations, lots of fake drama. The car show version of "The Bachelor."

Then there's the hosts: Clarkson is offensive to look at, he should be on radio. The excitable little guy from The Monkees needs to get a few good nights' sleep to fix the bags under his eyes. And it's disconcerting to see the quiet bumbling older guy, their most likable host, be used as a punching bag. Maybe it's an inside joke amongst them, because he's probably the most knowledgeable and capable driver of the three. Maybe they all defer to him off camera.

OTOH, I just saw Matt LeBlanc do the review of the Porsche 911R on the current Top Gear, and he seemed more genuine, was much more likable. Like Chris Harris. And the bit with the sandwich was fitting, a throwback to his Joey Tribbiane character that suits him so well.

I don't know why I felt like I had to say all that. But I feel a little better now.
                        '91 325i

Comment

^ you are the only person in the world to think that. Clarkson hammond and may are geniuses hands down the best at what they do. With leblanc, harris etc you can tell with the car reviews they were trying to hard to find the metaphors and phrases that just come so Naturally to the other three.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                            ^ you are the only person in the world to think that.
                            Thats not true, remember the "Dear so called Top Gear" letters they would read?
                            My Garage
                            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
                              I tried to watch Top Gear a few years ago, and could only take it in doses. Tried to watch this Grand Tour, and it was exactly the same. Interesting automotive specimens in ridiculous, contrived situations, lots of fake drama. The car show version of "The Bachelor."

Then there's the hosts: Clarkson is offensive to look at, he should be on radio. The excitable little guy from The Monkees needs to get a few good nights' sleep to fix the bags under his eyes. And it's disconcerting to see the quiet bumbling older guy, their most likable host, be used as a punching bag. Maybe it's an inside joke amongst them, because he's probably the most knowledgeable and capable driver of the three. Maybe they all defer to him off camera.

OTOH, I just saw Matt LeBlanc do the review of the Porsche 911R on the current Top Gear, and he seemed more genuine, was much more likable. Like Chris Harris. And the bit with the sandwich was fitting, a throwback to his Joey Tribbiane character that suits him so well.

I don't know why I felt like I had to say all that. But I feel a little better now.
                              You don't have to like top gear, it isn't for everyone, but the things you just said pretty much boil down to "I don't get it because I never really gave it a chance and thought it was supposed to be serious."

I'm guessing most of us have been watching it regularly for a long time so we get the banter, the dynamic, the content and the fact that Clarkson is the big ugly boorish guy, Hammond is the miniscule british redneck and May is the bumbling professor. That's their bit. It hasn't been a serious motoring show in a very long time, because serious motoring shows don't tend to do well on television. Top Gear jumped the shark a few seasons back with its contrived nature and going a bit over the top, and this season with the replacement hosts was downright terrible. They were imitating something that worked with the mentioned hosts, which was getting long in the tooth anyway, and it certainly doesn't work with the new ones. I didn't like the first episode of Grand Tour nearly as much as I had hoped to, but I'll stick around for a bit and see if it has some of the old magic.

There are plenty of serious motoring things on youtube if that's what you're after, that's not top gear, and it's not Clarkson, Hammond and May. The best episodes of top gear were international specials, all pretty good, especially the Vietnam, Africa, Botswana and Bolivia episodes. The Challenges were also some of the best stuff they did, such as the British Leyland and Amphibious Car challenges.
                              Last edited by varg; 11-20-2016, 02:33 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post

You obviouslly dont understand what those three turned T/G into and are now continuing on with the G/T with a better budget, freedom to do 99% of everything they want, and they are the very best in the world at what they do. The format has been attempted to be copied by other BBC affiliations in Australia and in the USA with very limited success. G/T and when the boys were on the BBC, make a terrible car review show, thats not what it is in reality and when you measure against that expectation then of course your going to come to your conclusions..... Its far more about what happens when you put 3 friends that are all into the same thing, and give them a bunch of money to play around with and see what they get themselves into. Its an entertainment show with cars as common bonding theme, half the shit they get themselves into I can see myself and my friends doing much the same things if given the opportunity

the fact you dont know why they give May so much shit, just shows you likely have not watched they boys since the T/G reboot in 2001 when they got started, the most of the 1st season it was Clarkson and Hammond and some other guy, May I think showed up season 2 or very end of season 1.... Watch them grow and adapt the format to what they have now, It was a car review show the 1st couple of seasons, until they figured out everyone out there wants to see the supper cars, hyper cars, and just high end cars, most people will never see let alone touch. Literately have the tires driven off them, with a colorful commentary sold well coupled with doing some stupid thing with a beater half way around the world on what would be an adventure of a life time with 2 of our best friends for the rest of us......

TL/DR

You missing the point dude
                                Last edited by mrsleeve; 11-20-2016, 02:18 PM.
                                Originally posted by Fusion
                                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                                William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X