Body Work DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body Work DIY

It finally happened, after years of never getting a parking ding, i finally hit something yesterday with my pristine 318ic :-(

This is basically what I hit:

My street (at my new place, not the place pictured) is lined with these to prevent cars from parking on the actual side walk. Since I had my top up (ie: foggy rear window) instead of my hard top I couldn't see well and bang.

- About 2" across and 3/4" deep..

Well, I was not in the mood to take this bullshit, so i fixed it.

About $100 of materials later:

Looking back I've noticed my poor choice of sand paper grit levels and have edited the post to correct this by putting the right sand paper in parentheses next to the original info.
    (Mautritiusblau paint, primer, black paint, bondo, various grit sand paper (230->600- should be 600-2000) and two body shop hammers)
    Removed bumper and tail light and started to straighten out the ding. trick is to not use big hammers or anything without a rounded edge/damper or else you will make a crease in your working area)

I applied two coats of bondo to get the desired smoothness.
    -Tip 1: Don't make alot of bondo at once, it dries quickly
    -Tip 2: Worry first about shape then worry about smoothness ( a wooden block can help you acheive this while sanding)

I sanded with 230 (should be 600-800) grit and then 300 (1000) grit making sure to to scuff up too much surrounding paint.

Next i took all the taping off, cleaned the area with [edit] acetone [/edit] (nail polish remover...) and retaped a slighly larger area for the primer. This whole area was smoothed out using 400 (800 at most) grit sand paper.

-Tip 1: Small even coats prevents orange peel
    -Tip 2: A light scuffing between coats is a good idea, but make sure the primer is dry!!

Clean off area using damp cloth and spray paint coat. remember, paint hides nothing, so if it doesn't look mint right now, it never will.

-Tip: again light even coats does the job.

Finally, take the tape off and notice how crappy it looks (not pictured). There is litterally a ridge between the newly painted area and the old painted area.

To fix this you must sand this "ridge" with 400 (800-1000) grit sand paper. I used my finger wrapped in sand paper to really get on it. Your final result must feel smooth with your nail (scraping from new to old paint.)

Once you've acheived this, wetsand the whole deal with 600 (1500-2000) grit (again you are doing the main working area + 1 Inch around taped off from the rest of the car.

The Idea is to cover up any remaining marks with paint while not overspraying on the old paint and thus getting another "ridge". I used a fading style to grade from on paint to another. Luckily my paint matched up color really well, but texture was off. (www.paintscratch.com carries BMW paint for the N/A market)

Reassembly before polish

Polish: Use a good product and make sure everything is dry!!! Don't need to use a powerdisk unless you are in a very visible area!

Finished Product 1

Finished Product 2

Last notes:
    1. Always overdo each step, don't expect the next step to make it look that much better. Get it as good as you possibly can at each level.
    2. I was working around gravel... be careful for dust, i got lucky
    3. Make sure you have everything before hand...
    4. Paint rarely matches up but you can usually make do if you cut it off/wetsand/blend it nicely.
    5. Beer helps too.

Cheers!
    Julien
    Last edited by Julien; 11-01-2009, 09:41 PM.
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Amazing write up! Like it never happened! I have been looking for a write up covering this for quite some time now, glad I ran across this!

Comment

thats legit man

Comment

Thanks for the write-up with pictures, I have been meaning to bang out a couple dings in my car as well so this should help.
        instagram

Comment

wow, nice! i'm way to nervous to do anything concerning body work with my car, i applaud your courage!
          318is fund, $0.

Comment

+1 i am a total bodywork n00b, want to learn though even i was half as good as the OP i'd save sooo much doing custom work....

Comment

where to buy oem color spray paint ?

Comment

Originally posted by Colorlesss View Post
                where to buy oem color spray paint ?
                paintscratch.com

Comment

Originally posted by StrokedSix View Post
                  paintscratch.com
                  anywhere cheaper ?

$25 for a 12.5 oz can isnt bad. but if there is somewhere cheaper id rather go there

Comment

Originally posted by Colorlesss View Post
                    anywhere cheaper ?

$25 for a 12.5 oz can isnt bad. but if there is somewhere cheaper id rather go there
                    +2 Go with paintscratch.com.

Comment

Dude you have some balls/ skills to attempt body work and paint by yourself. Mad props:) It came out pretty damn good too!

Comment

This thread just got bumped, so I have to say my piece.

This is NOT the place fro discussion about the repair of cars.

What you are doing belongs in the hands of a professional.

This forum is a great place to discuss politics, embarrassing moments in other peoples lives, what foods to prepare, how to best get off of a police action, and post pictures of a not-work safe nature.

Automotive interests do not apply here, consider yourself warned.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

paintscratch bronzit vs factory . the entire valance and bumper are done with the same can of paint.

my car/factory paint is dirty. the new paint is not cleared yet.

Comment

I would highly advise agaiinst using 400 grit -- or even 600 grit on paint. It just isn't a good idea. I wouldn't use anything less than 1000 grit, and in that case it would be hit with 1500 and possibly 200 grit after that. And then it still needs to be hit with a high speed buffer and cutting compound.

600 is just too abrasive for paint unless you are sanding it down to do something else. Also, I surely wouldn't sand on it until it had time to cure properly.

Also, is that blue color a single stage paint from the factory?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                              I would highly advise agaiinst using 400 grit -- or even 600 grit on paint. It just isn't a good idea. I wouldn't use anything less than 1000 grit, and in that case it would be hit with 1500 and possibly 200 grit after that. And then it still needs to be hit with a high speed buffer and cutting compound.

600 is just too abrasive for paint unless you are sanding it down to do something else. Also, I surely wouldn't sand on it until it had time to cure properly.

Also, is that blue color a single stage paint from the factory?

check your post, add a zero after 200
                              it reads as is, sand first with 1500 and follow wtih 200
                              I dont think so tim, I know it was a honest mistake, but some lame person out here would do that ( follow wiht 200) after reading this thread

Comment

Working...
                              X