Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official OBD1 vs OBD2 argument thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBD II FTW

also, flashing the OBD II ecus, especially for the E36, is going to get easier and easier. OBD I is a dead end..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftE30 View Post
      I thought if you had all the parts (ECU, ignition, and harness from the same car you didnt have to flash your ECU? How do you like those s52 cams?
      You are correct, no flashing necessary with all the EWS components. I got my ECU flashed for the s52 cams. They really open the car up in the high rpms but I feel like I lost some torque down low. I have to get another dyno to confirm.
      M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
      Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
      M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

Originally posted by mammoth_e30 View Post
        Since I am in CA do you think I will run into any issues with smog?
        In California if you wanted to get a OBD 2 swap car to pass the BAR you would need the Air pump all 4 02 sensors and a way to install the fuel tank leakage module. A lot more work then it's worth.

Unless you tell them your OBD 2 swap is OBD 1

Comment

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
          In California if you wanted to get a OBD 2 swap car to pass the BAR you would need the Air pump all 4 02 sensors and a way to install the fuel tank leakage module. A lot more work then it's worth.

Unless you tell them your OBD 2 swap is OBD 1

the cats and 02 sensors just move over with the entire exhaust (tucked to e30 body)

air pump is connecting one harness plug and a tube. using it looses 0 power and allows you to breathe in better air. How bad is that?
          Also allows using the S52 OE exhaust manifolds with no modification and risk to fail smog visual. Also cheaper; comes in the e36M3 at no extra cost; nobody is fighting over buying those items lol

Running losses valve is attached to the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator under the e36M. run it. a fully pressurized rail system is more efficient and better for your engine than the OBD1 style FPR at end of rail. Why bother even separating the fuel rail and lines??

Downgrading your obd1 s52 is a great thing for those in a pinch that have a obd1 e36 already and just fragged the motor. Not an upgrade.

I'd rather run a S52 with the airflow meter unplugged and kept in place + stock DME in stupid mode with OBD1 intake manifold than an OBD1 converted s52 chipped and setup the same way.

rear spare tire well mounted tank sensor is easily bought and installed. Done.

being in the bay area is the easiest place to complete a full cali BAR LEGAL obd2 conversion+swap.

costs LESS money than trying to find a full set of good/used obd1 sensors and fuel rail and lines etc.

s52 everything > s50. Even the OBD2 intake manifold is not bad.

Brains = POWAR.
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I am going to be "attempting" a S52 OBDII swap and get it CA BAR passed. I am undecided if I am just going to mock up the air pump and have it deleted from the ECU or if I want to run it. Right now I am only missing the emissions control pump but people are asking $75 or more for it used.

I will have the O2 sensors installed and have looked up CA leagal cats that I will have installed aftermarket with a new dual 2" exhaust. How long do I have till I need to get the car BAR passed once I complete the swap? I just got it smogged this summer.

One thing I did not know about till now is the tank leakage module which I need to look into.

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
            Running losses valve is attached to the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator under the e36M. run it. a fully pressurized rail system is more efficient and better for your engine than the OBD1 style FPR at end of rail. Why bother even separating the fuel rail and lines??
            I am interested in seeing this setup on an e30 if anyone has a picture available for reference or even on an e36. My experience is limited with this and I don't have a full M3 to pull parts from or a local car to reference. Do I need to run the e36 FPR?

rear spare tire well mounted tank sensor is easily bought and installed. Done.
            is this part #10?

edit: also what cone filter have people used to pass OBDII BAR?

Thanks!

Comment

I am going to be "attempting" a S52 OBDII swap and get it CA BAR passed. I am undecided if I am just going to mock up the air pump and have it deleted from the ECU or if I want to run it. Right now I am only missing the emissions control pump but people are asking $75 or more for it used.

I will have the O2 sensors installed and have looked up CA leagal cats that I will have installed aftermarket with a new dual 2" exhaust. How long do I have till I need to get the car BAR passed once I complete the swap? I just got it smogged this summer.

One thing I did not know about till now is the tank leakage module which I need to look into.

I am interested in seeing this setup on an e30 if anyone has a picture available for reference or even on an e36. My experience is limited with this and I don't have a full M3 to pull parts from or a local car to reference. Do I need to run the e36 FPR?

is this part #10?

Thanks!
              That first Real OEM pic you posted is of the trunk evap tank Wangan mentioned. The 2nd realoem part your E30 already basically has a similar verson in the same place it is on an E36.

Check Us out on Facebook
              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
              Full Product Line Tuning
              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                That first Real OEM pic you posted is of the trunk evap tank Wangan mentioned. The 2nd realoem part your E30 already basically has a similar verson in the same place it is on an E36.

Thanks Dave, i picked up that first pictured charcoal filter and an OBDII harness today :)

Comment

I

Do I need to run the e36 FPR?

also what cone filter have people used to pass OBDII BAR?

Dont use any cone filter. use the OEM e36 air box or e34 airbox that matches a s52 / m50 engine.

relocation of ABS would be the clean way to do this install.

Cone air filter is not really an OEM part, does not have a C.A.R.B. EO number or sticker. I suppose if you bought a Dinan CARB Legal s52 intake and fitted it to the E30 without causing any emissions it could bar ok with the CARB EO number

*** Yes, I would use the entire S52 rail + its remote under car mounted Fuel pressure regulator and running losses valve, its newer and modern and good. e30 fuel filter is in the back, just plumb it to the oem S52 setup of the e36m. it has a valve and a return to tank from its fuel pressure regulator block.
                  OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Dont use any cone filter. use the OEM e36 air box or e34 airbox that matches a s52 / m50 engine.

relocation of ABS would be the clean way to do this install.

Cone air filter is not really an OEM part, does not have a C.A.R.B. EO number or sticker. I suppose if you bought a Dinan CARB Legal s52 intake and fitted it to the E30 without causing any emissions it could bar ok with the CARB EO number

*** Yes, I would use the entire S52 rail + its remote under car mounted Fuel pressure regulator and running losses valve, its newer and modern and good. e30 fuel filter is in the back, just plumb it to the oem S52 setup of the e36m. it has a valve and a return to tank from its fuel pressure regulator block.
                    Thanks for the tips! Done threadjacking.

Comment

E34 525i vertical airbox from the m50 cars fits nicely. Sounds like CARB sorta sucks for you cali guys.

Comment

I converted my S50 to run OBD2 because OBD1 has it place for old german cars, but not in my new roadster.

Carb legal OBD2 swaps are easy.

Say the engine is from a Z3. AND use a Z3 brain flashed with an S52 tune. Only 2 O2 sensors. All the same other BS.

Everything else is a couple hose clamps, tek screws, and some brain. Remember guys, you gotta use your brain! Keep notes! And don't be afraid to go back to basics in understanding what you are changing.
                        Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                        Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Obd2 ftw

Check Us out on Facebook
                          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                          Full Product Line Tuning
                          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

What if I'm trying to go from m50 to s52?

can i stay ODB1 with all the old wiring... or
                            do I need to buy new wiring harnesses and all that crap?

Comment

I believe you're going to need the OBDII harness because the knock sensors are different, as is the location of the crank position sensor (I think?). However, on a similar note to Pl3wA's question:

I'm doing exactly as the original post outlines; OBDII S52 swap with rear O2 delete, EWS delete, secondary air pump delete, M50 manifold with fuel rail and throttle body, M50manifold.com kit to keep the oil separator drain back to the dipstick tube.

The wiring for the swap all seems to be the same (with regards to OBDI) EXCEPT for Pin 14 on the X20 (VSS to cluster). On my OBDII wiring harness Pin 14 is blank. I posed this question to nando and it seems that Pin 3 on the X6031 (one of the two adjacent connectors to the X20) is actually the VSS to the cluster. So is this the ONLY difference with the wiring? I'm pretty sure that it is, but if there is anyone with first hand experience, I'd love to hear from you.
                              Last edited by Gooch; 12-28-2011, 10:11 AM. Reason: Fixed mistakes

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                              '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                              '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                              '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Pl3wA View Post
                                What if I'm trying to go from m50 to s52?

can i stay ODB1 with all the old wiring... or
                                do I need to buy new wiring harnesses and all that crap?
                                You can convert your S52 to OBD1. I wouldnt though ;)

Originally posted by Gooch View Post
                                I believe you're going to need the OBDII harness because the knock sensors are different, as is the location of the crank position sensor (I think?). However, on a similar note to Pl3wA's question:

I'm doing exactly as the original post outlines; OBDII S52 swap with rear O2 delete, EWS delete, secondary air pump delete, M50 manifold with fuel rail and throttle body, M50manifold.com kit to keep the oil separator drain back to the dipstick tube.

The wiring for the swap all seems to be the same (with regards to OBDI) EXCEPT for Pin 14 on the X20 (RPM to cluster). On my OBDII wiring harness Pin 14 is blank. I posed this question to nando and it seems that Pin 1 on the X6031 (one of the two adjacent connectors to the X20) is actually the RPM to the cluster. So is this the ONLY difference with the wiring? I'm pretty sure that it is, but if there is anyone with first hand experience, I'd love to hear from you.
                                Wiring is a good bit different. And the RPM signal is still on the X20. The CEL is however on the X6031.

Check Us out on Facebook
                                Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Working...
                                X