Project TougE30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to make her legal.

I adjusted the ride height just a hint. I tighten my power steering pulley down after the bolts started backing out. It made a knocking noise and almost gave me a heart attack. I need to get the rest of the lights working, and zip tie some wires down. Hopefully we have another e30 back on the road next week!Click image for larger version

Name:	23337858959_3c5873dc60_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	7181346

Comment

The e30 has most of the lights working, and most of the interior is put back together. I found water in my trunk,so time to find where it's coming from to prevent rust.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

where's the water in your trunk? I've been fighting leaks back there for while now. The trunks on these cars are like swiss cheese.
        '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by thatphysicsguy View Post
          where's the water in your trunk? I've been fighting leaks back there for while now. The trunks on these cars are like swiss cheese.
          Check the square holes on either side of the trunk with the hoses attached to them , they are responsible for wasting water, if the hoses are unplugged , they WILL fill up your trunk space and cause rusting. My heavy trunk material was rusted til i hit it with rust encapsulator, o/p , i'd just pry that stuff off and see if the true trunk panel isnt rusted.
          1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
          1998 e36 328ic/5 -
          Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
          1967 2002 parts car
          1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Check trunk seal, tail light seal and antenna grommet. All prime places for water intrusion.
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by JeLani View Post
              Check the square holes on either side of the trunk with the hoses attached to them , they are responsible for wasting water, if the hoses are unplugged , they WILL fill up your trunk space and cause rusting. My heavy trunk material was rusted til i hit it with rust encapsulator, o/p , i'd just pry that stuff off and see if the true trunk panel isnt rusted.
              those are the drains that go out behind the side markers right?

Mine seem to be fine, but I've had leaks through the antenna, the spoiler, the gas door, the trunk seal etc. etc.
              '91 325i

Comment

those are the drains that go out behind the side markers right?

Mine seem to be fine, but I've had leaks through the antenna, the spoiler, the gas door, the trunk seal etc. etc.

Yes^ and oh man those must be 10x more annoying to deal with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
                1967 2002 parts car
                1994 318iS junked.

Comment

I plugged up the holes on the side of the trunk, and she's staying dry. Update: car is legal now! I put a full tank of gas in her, raced another Frankenstein 2.7, and dying to put a few miles on.

Comment

250 miles in 3 days

I'm enjoying the e30 and having 3 pedals again. She's holding up pretty well, and put a bracket on the exhaust so it won't fall off again. I have a few things to tackle, but the main issue is no heat. I've replaced the Thermostatic Bypass valve, and made sure the hoses to the heater valve were correct. I've bled the cooling system twice. I've unplugged the heater valve plug to supposely leave the valve open. If it comes down to it, I will drill out the valve if it's stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tougerunner01 View Post
                      I'm enjoying the e30 and having 3 pedals again. She's holding up pretty well, and put a bracket on the exhaust so it won't fall off again. I have a few things to tackle, but the main issue is no heat. I've replaced the Thermostatic Bypass valve, and made sure the hoses to the heater valve were correct. I've bled the cooling system twice. I've unplugged the heater valve plug to supposely leave the valve open. If it comes down to it, I will drill out the valve if it's stuck.
                      Might be your heater core's gunked up too...
                      '91 325i

Comment

Fellas, we have heat!

I went sliding earlier tonight,and headed off to dinner. The windshield was starting to get foggy,so I turned on the air, and heat came on. This is gonna make the next few weeks easier on me. Cars and Coffee in the morning.

Comment

Might be your heater core's gunked up too...
                          I thought so too after I used compressed air in the heater valve and it pushed out a bunch of gunk. I then proceeded to filter water through the system, and it came back clean. I repeated the same for the heater core.

Comment

Maintenance

Welp, after 8k miles (in my possession) on the original clutch,it finally gave out. Since I have no knowledge of the motor's history, who knows how many miles are on it. It was given to me with the shell, and apparently raced. I took time after work during the week, and got the job done. I found out my throwout bearing exploded, and my old clutch had some uneven wear. Also, I ordered the wrong clutch kit since I discovered a eta single mass flywheel instead of a dual mass. Twas a fun week. I did the selector shaft seal along with the output shaft seal. I fixed my coolant leak at the thermostat housing after I drilled a broken bolt out followed by retapping. Click image for larger version

Name:	29523143795_95c2a1cb0e_b.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	7188445

Click image for larger version

Name:	29488555286_bca7556f0d_b.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	7188446

Click image for larger version

Name:	29442851081_9b852f7b17_b.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	7188447

Last edited by Tougerunner01; 09-07-2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Welp boys, 7 months later, and an intake rocker arm went out. Autox at the end of the month, and le e30 dying to see the street again.

Comment

Time for change

A few friends were nice enough to let me drive their 24v swapped e30s, and looks like this is the direction I'm going. I'd love to turbo my 2.7i, but N/A power has won me over more so reliability. I think I'm going with an m52/zf combo. Lots of overtime in the next few weeks. Click image for larger version

Name:	37663380745_05c75d4f66_b.jpg
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	7194210

Comment

Working...
                                X