6/83 grey market 323i.. mtech I S50 5-lug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    Yes when r12 hits the atmosphere and evaporates the fumes it gives off is the same as Agent Orange used back in Nam

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post

From my school presentations i am. Thats what they said during my 8 hour lectures.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post

Did Dino get your r12 evacuated?
        haven't gotten to it yet. lemons race and some life got in the way..
        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          haven't gotten to it yet. lemons race and some life got in the way..
          Lemme know cause I might buy it off him as soon as he sucks it out :)

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
            Serious, I know a few shop owners that would love the stuff. Not small bottles Talking shop size so the can properly fill systems.

R12 still works very effectively and heck I'd love to have a working ac system in my E30 m3.
            Add a parallel flow condensor for $100
            Replace seals evap valve and drier $75
            Leak check evac and fill

Enjoy your cold R134A without destroying the ozone layer
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

From my school presentations i am. Thats what they said during my 8 hour lectures.
              You sure they weren't talking about phosgene, the stuff you create if you MIG/TIG over brake cleaner?

R12 is R12, no matter whether it's in a sealed, pressurized system or floating around in the atmosphere. In fact it's completely inert, nonflammable, and nontoxic. The reason it was phased out of production was because it is extremely damaging to the ozone layer, like all CFCs.

Comment

You sure they weren't talking about phosgene, the stuff you create if you MIG/TIG over brake cleaner?

R12 is R12, no matter whether it's in a sealed, pressurized system or floating around in the atmosphere. In fact it's completely inert, nonflammable, and nontoxic. The reason it was phased out of production was because it is extremely damaging to the ozone layer, like all CFCs.

No its once it gets boiled and turns into a vapor that it gets to that. The chemical gas it turns into is comparable to agent orange. Thats just what instructor said. He could be wrong but he's been there for quite a while so would think he knows his stuff

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

No its once it gets boiled and turns into a vapor that it gets to that. The chemical gas it turns into is comparable to agent orange. Thats just what instructor said. He could be wrong but he's been there for quite a while so would think he knows his stuff
                  Interesting. I worked as a refrigeration engineer for years, and I have both my RETA-CIRO and EPA Section 609 certs. In all of my years I've never heard or read anything about R12 (or any CFC refrigerant) turning toxic. In fact that's why CFC refrigerants were invented: as a safe and nonhazardous alternative to other refrigerants such as H2, NH3, etc.

It was even used as a propellent in medical inhalers, Silly String, and other aerosol-based products. If the gas or vapor were poisonous, there'd be a lot of dead patients/kids/painters. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorodifluoromethane

Comment

Interesting. I worked as a refrigeration engineer for years, and I have both my RETA-CIRO and EPA Section 609 certs. In all of my years I've never heard or read anything about R12 (or any CFC refrigerant) turning toxic. In fact that's why CFC refrigerants were invented: as a safe and nonhazardous alternative to other refrigerants such as H2, NH3, etc.

It was even used as a propellent in medical inhalers, Silly String, and other aerosol-based products. If the gas or vapor were poisonous, there'd be a lot of dead patients/kids/painters. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorodifluoromethane

You make a valid point. Its entirely possible he is wrong and could of mis interpreted that for something else. He is an old man and admits it.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Agent orange is a combination of herbicides. Has nothing to do with r12.

The only thing toxic r12 does is release chlorine gas when it's struck by UV radiation, but that doesn't happen until it's in the upper atmosphere.

Comment

it's time for the bi-annual update!

scored a pretty clean front subframe from wworm, stuck it in the parts washer and sandblasted relevant areas in prep for motor mount and sway bar reinforcements.

these plates went in first:

these followed:

I like to finish these seam welds:

sway bar mount reinforcement brackets also went in but I forgot to take photos of those.

stay tuned for the next update, in March of 2018!
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Holy shit a progress update.

I'll have to make one too now.

Comment

right??

I also made an unwise promise, something to the effect of "rabble rabble, the white car will move under its own power before the end of the year"

:drink:
                            cars beep boop

Comment

You also lost the bet about the Aluminum Monster having CA plates...

Its currently getting SLOW318 according to the new owner haha
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

did it actually get bar'd?
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X