Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e30 316 build x2 (m52/m50, turbo, 3pcs bottle caps etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice as always
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
      Nice as always
      Thanks!

The exterior is now almost ready. Only few tweaks needed here and there.

As you can see there is still lot of snow :D So there is plenty of time to finish the engine before all snow has melt.

Comment

Next episode:
        This episode we upgrade few fuel system components like add second Bosch 044 knockoff pump from Aeroflow, cahnge better FPR and swap the bigger injectors fro...

last weekend we swapped the 870cc injectors from my e30 to the ONE and then the 630cc injectors to my cars. That's because I calculated that the 630cc injectors should be enough for me but those would be too small for 600-700 hp we are wanting from the new engine. Also we added my Bosch 044 knockoff from aeroflow to the ONE in addition to the old one so that there would be enough fuel for the engine. I will change to in-tank pump setup because I'm sick of hearing all the nose from the external pumps.

Wires are just temporary to test if the fuel pressures would stay at control.

I needed to weld outlet for second pump:

Not much room because I designed that for one outlet only. But I managed to work that out.

The wastegate was welded to the turbo exhaust housing:

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Seems like I have forgot to post updates here, so I need to recap whole summer :D

So after last post we got the car running for the first time:

Next up was the the exhaust. It has now 3,4 inch down pipe and rest is 3":

Which sounds like this when recorded using phone camera:

Rear arms got new eccentric bushings:

And the goal is to get the tires straight as possible for maximum traction. Quite opposite what all stance guys do :D

We also got new rear end with longer 3.15 ratio:

That doesn't have lsd unit unfortunately, so we need to transfer that from the old rear diff. We couldn't find diff with correct case and ratio with lsd for sale, so now we need to do some extra work with that.

We also did some aero stuff to increase high speed stability and reduce drag:

And then when we opened the new diff it was quite disappointing:

So getting the thing moving will take longer than we thought...

I have never seen diff bearings in this bad condition :D

But after lot of work I managed to get the new 3.15 gears inside the old diff:

That ended up being quite of hack job, because only new parts I could source with short notice, were new pinion seal and new pinion clamping bush. I did shimming the bearings in this way: :D

But well i got the the bearing friction, teeth contact and backlash in spec so it will be fine. After that we could continue tuning the engine.

Before we could start driving the car, the idle needed sorting. The engine didn't want to idle below 1000 RPM because with those aggressive cams, there isn't much vacuum at lower RPM. At 1300 RPM the idle was fine but for MOT check I need to get the car idle below 1000 RPM. Enriching the mixture to 12-13 pump gas AFR makes the car idle below 1000 RPM but then the emissions will be bad and aging the car won't pass MOT. I needed to get the car run closer to 14.7 AFR but that leads to very unstable idle.

Fortunately after lot of trial and error I found out that ms2 has dedicated idle advance map that i could use to stabilize idle. And after dialing it in, the idle works fine and engine doesn't stall when coming off throttle. The setting look like this:

So normal idle advance is 14-15 degrees, but if the RPM gets lower, there is more advance and it will bring up the RPM again. And then if RPM gets higher, there is less advance which will bring the RPM back down.

End result is this:

See how the much the ECU needs to use the ignition advance to keep the idle stable. Without that dedicated idle advance table, it was almost impossible.

Full video about all this: https://youtu.be/D03lyG4wiQQ

And passed the MOT:

The limit for HC is 1000 so not even close :D

After that I fitted electronic boost controller and now with new megasquirt firmware, the closed loop boost control works like a charm.

But then more problems. engine just doesn't want to run past 4000 RPM on boost. It will misfire badly.. There was lot of problem solving and stuff, but we didn't get it working. We even found out that KDFI has current limiting for the coils so we even didn't got any benefit from those expensive AEM coils.

So that needed sorting out, so here I have bypassed those current limiters:

But that wasn't the problem. Eventually I ruled out everything except the used coil wires we had. 4 of those seem to be working fine::

But rest 2 weren't so good:

Soo yeah.. Quick hack and to fix that and finally it pulls clean on boost.

Full video about all of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsfIOF-pGZs

But we missed the main events of the summer which was bit of a letdown. But ok we still had fun with the car. Maybe too much because the driveshaft started twisting :D

We also took the car to one Tuning car show to be shown:

Where we did got top3 performance trophy:

After that we got 3 piece work wheels to replace the borbets. Can anyone guess the model:

And to end the summer season there was ykameet, where we could destroy the wrong size tires which came on those wheels:

Here is video material also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpl8VyoDolk

Comment

Then back to this day. The rear tires have never been at the center of the wheel well so we took the rear axle down to fix that:

For the engine we have this great looking intake to replace the crappy m50 intake:

Forgot to take pic of the whole thing but this is how it will look installed:

And also we have euro s50 oil filter housing and oil fcooler for that waiting to be installed.

We got annoyed with the KDFi current limiting problems with the KDFI ecu so we also got ms3x megasquirt to replace that. We will be using all the fancy stuff it allows us to to like fully sequential fuel and spark, boost by gear, flex fuel etc.:

The m50 OEM VR sensors will be replaced by cherry hall sensors. We have those for crank and cam. Also new coil wires which hopefully don't spark trough.

I also found this neat OEM solution for flat shift/lauch button using cruise parts:
              Last edited by pazi88; 12-15-2017, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Then finally time for my e30. I haven't touched it for a year because we had our second son and I haven't got time to work on it. But hopefully next summer I will be driving it again.

As a start I wanted to do something for the fuel system. It's bit undersized because raising boost caused the engine lean out. Which wasn't big problem but the most annoying thing was the noise. The carter pump which moves fuel from original tank to surge tank is noisy as hell.

So that all is gone now:

That all will be replaced by in-tank walbro 450lph e85 pump. I just need to keep enough fuel in thank when driving hard so that it won't gasp any air. The 450 walbro is bit too big for the stock m52 fpr so I would need to replace that. But I have another solution which is this:

That will replace the stock fuel pump relay and I will be able to do PWM control the fuel pump. So on idle and cruise I can make it pump less to reduce noise even more and also keep the fuel pressures down with the undersized fpr. Remember. the fpr is only at the return side. It doesn't affect the max fuel flow. But if the fpr is too small the fuel pressures will raise on idle/cruise when there is not much fuel flowing to injectors.

The current engine management KDFI is not capable of PWM controlling fuel pump because it's ms2 clone. So I also bought ms3x kit to replace it. I already started assembling the board:

And assembled. Ready to be tested:

That v3 bord is same for ms1,2 and 3. Which makes it ms3x is the ms3 processor card and the expansion board:

But before mounting those, I will need to test the base board.

Comment

e30 316 build x2 (m52/m50, turbo, 3pcs bottle caps etc)

Glad you made the switch [emoji4] ms3 is great.

Do you have an e34 subframe installed?

You could also cut the top off that surge tank and convert it to house an intank pump. No noise that way.

Comment

The 450lph pumps go very well, a friend has one in his 1jz E30 and it's super quiet and has plenty of flow. Big set of injectors and it's good as gold
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                      The 450lph pumps go very well, a friend has one in his 1jz E30 and it's super quiet and has plenty of flow. Big set of injectors and it's good as gold

True but you’ll have fuel starvation approaching 1/4 tank.

I ran the same pump with e85. I had to run a larger FPR and the pump flowed too much fuel for the stock return siphon on the gas tank, pressure would not drop below 55 at idle. Might be worth noting.

Depending which fuel tank you have, you’ll either have fuel starvation like he said or have elevated idle fuel pressures. Would be super easy to get rid of the starvation issue with the surge tank he already has

Comment

Yes I could have used the surge tank but there is two reasons I wanted to get rid of it. First the noise from the carter pump that pulls fuel from stock tank. I could have replaced that with in-tank pump. But if I have to do that, I can just use in-tank pump without surge tank to simplify the setup. Secondly the fuel stuff on the trunk sometimes makes nasty smells inside the car even when nothing is leaking. So it's better to have all fuel lines running outside the car.

I'm well aware about the starvation issue. I just need to keep enough fuel in the tank to avoid that. And also I'm aware that the stock fpr is too small for that pump. If you did read my post, I'm going to PWM control the pump using the ms3 so that I won't have those fuel pressure problems on idle/cruising.

The white ONE has e34 subframe. I have stock e30 subframe on my brown e30.

Comment

Nice e30

Comment

Here is the e34 rear subframe from the ONE. Stock e30 subframe looks quite puny compared to it.

And here is the new intake for the ONE. And new coil wires. Hopefully those will hold the sparks inside and not jump all over like the old ones did. Those are also longer, so we will move the coils underneath the intake to cooler place.

Open style IAT sensor because the stock m50 one is slow as hell for speed density use.

First we took of the stock m50 intake:

Cherry hall sensors fit well using the adapters we have:

And the intake also fits:

Very well to be precise. If you look closely, you will also see flex fuel sensor I mounted to frame rail.

Only problem with that intake was the wider e34 radiator which causes the coolant hose to be exactly where the throttle body should be:

That could fit if we would flip that upside down. But then it would go trough the hood and look very ugly. Fortunately we got spare m52 throttle body, which is more compact and will fit once we took some stuff from it that we wont need:

But that was all we had time. Next we will swap in the euro s50 oil filter housing to have oil feed for the cooler:

Comment

For my e30 it looks like I managed to fit the ms3x parts inside the ms41 ecu:

Also got the ISL9V series ignition drivers for the both ms3x builds:

Comment

Is that an off the shelf manifold or custom made?
                                Excited to see how fast it is once this round of work is done
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X