Dirty Baja E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
    ^^ there are some vids of it in serious action around here someplace.....or on youtube.
    You mean the vid at the very top of my first post in the thread?

Here's another video of a different car the same guys were building. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTKJRHWT0PI

I used to know of a video of them racing their truck shaped baja e30, but I can't find it anymore.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by epiphy View Post
      You mean the vid at the very top of my first post in the thread?

Here's another video of a different car the same guys were building. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTKJRHWT0PI

I used to know of a video of them racing their truck shaped baja e30, but I can't find it anymore.
      lol.....uh yeah, that would be the one
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Hmm.... What do you guys think is the best option for this?

E30 bolt size is 12mm, new shocks size is meant for a 14mm.

I see a few options:

Option #1
        -Get some kind of bolt spacer to put over a longer 12mm bolt. (looked for one, where the hell would I find it?)

Option #2
        -Drill the trailing arm to fit 14mm directly. This would probably require some reinforcement on the trailing arm

Option #3
        -Maybe press a new bushing with 12mm hole into the shock itself
        sigpic

Comment

pressing in new bushing would be the smartest way IMO
          -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
          -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
          MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
          Got Drop?? ;-)
          Originally posted by JinormusJ
          But of course
          E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Or do what I did to put an S13 coilover shock on my S12.

Turn a spacer on a lathe. Or get it done. Easy peasy.

Lookin good otherwise!

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

My current project

I've been working on mine for about a year and a half now. I've run out of money to finish the project, but the question I have is:

If the rear joints that go from the driveshaft to the rear arms are at too much of an angle, then will it not turn?

I've never driven the car because I've built it up from a shell and I can't tell if my transmission is funky even though it only has 130k on it. But I put the car on it's four wheels for the first time, e brake off and (Best to my knowledge) out of gear on the tranny. BUT IT WON'T ROLL...

Maybe I've overdone it with the extended springs...

Comment

Originally posted by sportouree View Post
                I've been working on mine for about a year and a half now. I've run out of money to finish the project, but the question I have is:

If the rear joints that go from the driveshaft to the rear arms are at too much of an angle, then will it not turn?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9fb909b213
                Do you have a pic of the back so I can see the angle your axles are at?

If I were you, I would put the original springs in and try to see if the axles roll at a more normal angle. If you don't have the original springs, you could do what I did and put a wood block over the trailing arm, just to put it at a more normal height, to see if it rolls. That's the ultimate in offroad engineering, when you have wood holding up your car!

I'm not actually 100% sure if it just wouldn't turn at all, but it's definitely not good to extend them too far. That is why I need to put in limit straps, because it was pulling on the axle when the car was jacked up (and so it would also when in air), which is definitely not good news at all. I tore the rubber boot part just by jacking the car up.

If you need some more lift, but want to keep the stock axles at an operating angle, go for bigger tires :)
                sigpic

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates, been working almost every day (even weekends) for the last 3 months to finish up a couple commercials for Verizon. Good news is that I now have an assload of spendable cash for this car.

I need to get more serious about getting a full welded cage put in, and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations. I don't just want a standard cage, I want both rear and forward shock mounts to be reinforced.

There are many things I will be doing in the next few weeks, including putting in a fuel cell, welding reinforcements onto the trailing arms, and going full rear coilover.
                  sigpic

Comment

Awesome car so much win-- especially the graphics. Have fun!

Comment

What mods besides the longer shocks are done in the rear? E36 springs?
                      For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                      Originally posted by mbonanni
                      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
                        What mods besides the longer shocks are done in the rear? E36 springs?

Not sure where the springs came from (probably e36), but the shocks were from an e36 m3 before I switched them out to the e39 shocks. There are also rubber spacers along with metal sleeves at the top of the shocks to push them down an extra inch or so.

Other than that, mostly stock :) Oh and big tires.

I'll be replacing them with fox offroad coilovers in a couple weeks.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hello again everyone. Got held up with work again but started tearing the thing apart!

Not a whole lot of room to work with...

Brakes taken apart and springs...

But we got the whole thing out in one piece...

Much easier to do when there's a huge gaping hole in the trunk...

Sad dangly driveshaft...

Fuel filter thingy taken out...

Holy F*** this thing was literally caked in mud...

I got so annoyed with these brake lines I just tore them off...

Started removing the fuel tank...

Wait, what? Im learning something crazy about this car every day.

Could not believe how much s*** was caked in there, I had to chisel the cemented mud from it...

Finally it's out. Anyone need a single pump fuel tank in San Diego? :)

So much room for activities!

I seriously might turn this into a potty hatch for when we go camping in the car

Time for a good pressure washing!
                          sigpic

Comment

More stuff...

Burn baby...

They seem in pretty good shape overall...

So I made a very dumb mistake, forgot to loosen the freakin axle nuts before taking everything off. So I hatched a plan.... I screwed the diff (which is full spool), and the trailing arms/axles back together along with the wheels, then had a fat friend sit on the tires!

Worked!

This also worked...

This did not work, don't know why I even tried :(
                            sigpic

Comment

About to start on the big stuff...

Because it's too damn hot in the desert right now, I decided to take my time and go all out with the build. Roll bars, reinforcements in the rear, etc.

I completely stripped the trailing arms and subframe of all paint and any rust. Oh yeah, IE bushings too.

Main roll bar hoop

Reinforcement bars for the trailing arms... (there is also bars going from each arm end to the top of the bearing area)

Rear shock support plates...

The roll bars rear supports attach to the bar that goes between the two shock towers. You can see there is also a differential support built into the design.

The roll bar and rear shock were made by HIK.

More in the coming days...
                              sigpic

Comment

that car is fan-fucking-tastic..

seriously..
                                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Working...
                                X