No announcement yet.

88' Zinno M3 (Progress Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, another small update, but some cool stuff none the less.

Two packages arrived today. Does anyone know where I can get this bmw packaging tape?!

Heres what was in the box. Im still waiting for one more package that has the final item to tie all this together. Windhsield washer cap to go with the new bottle. The silver bolts are hopefully what will hold on my distributor cap cover, but I havent had a chance to test them yet. The weird looking tool is part of the m3 jack system. Ill explain more on that in a second. Also, if anyone knows the part # for the knob that goes on the end of it, please let me know!

Now my jack cover is complete. All new

I tried to make my air filter housing look a little nicer. It is pretty worn.

Looking better...but still might buy a new one.

And now for the other little package. A brand new owners manual

And here are the interesting parts/pictures

Here you can see how the jack system works. Im missing the knob that goes on the end of the jack tool, so if anyone has any info on it, id appreciate it!

And just a little reminder...

So I still have some cool stuff on the way and I dont want to spoil any surprises... I will say I sent my AFM and SI board to Greg to work his magic. Especially excited to see the afm all cleaned up.
    Last edited by jhaurimn; 01-30-2014, 09:48 AM.
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Comment

Sweet stuff.. So is that jack still available new?
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
        Sweet stuff.. So is that jack still available new?
        Possibly. I have a good source who seems to know where to find parts thought to be NLA, but I don't want to say anything before it arrives and is in my hands. But if it does arrive, ill be super stoked :D m3 jacks are very very very hard to find, especially in new condition, so I'm hoping it works out. I'm happy I was able to get the jack crank still, which had to come from Germany.

Edit: just to clarify, the non m jack is definitely still available new. The m3 one is still up in the air
        Last edited by jhaurimn; 01-18-2014, 04:55 AM.
        Current:
        1989 325i
        1988 M3
        1987 325ic
        Past:
        2001 330ci
        2001 M3

Comment

I sold my E46 M3 to get into a E30 M3 I have yet to drive mine since i got it all stripped and its still not done.. i do sometimes miss my e46 m

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by francogt1 View Post
            I sold my E46 M3 to get into a E30 M3 I have yet to drive mine since i got it all stripped and its still not done.. i do sometimes miss my e46 m

I will get back into one, one day. But it made a lot more sense to get the e30 m3 now before prices go up beyond what I can practically afford. E46 m3s are only getting more affordable. I imagine ill spend maybe 10k to get back into one in a few years.
            Current:
            1989 325i
            1988 M3
            1987 325ic
            Past:
            2001 330ci
            2001 M3

Comment

Time for another update. Things have been slow going as we are lucky when temps get above zero.

I pulled the wiper fluid container. It's quite easy when the wiper fluid is frozen....silly texas car. The difference between old and new is very noticeable.

Replaced the fuse box cover. The old one was pretty trashed

New

So this is what my barometric sensor looked like...

So I bought a used one from my good friend mr Berger

Pass brake light had a piece broken off that I'm sure would let water inside.

I got hooked up by bmwextremeguy with this like new taillight with gasket. Thank you man!

I replaced the missing wheel choke. However the wingnut I bought for it doesn't seem to fit. What part is supposed to hold it down? (Also, yes it bugs the hell out of me that it's too cold to clean areas like this :( )

Also, does anyone know where this connector goes? Located near the air filer/AFM

Now, I haven't received these parts yet, but I can't wait for them to arrive to show them. Thank you so much Dan c for the seats and the jack! I am currently trying to wait patiently for them to arrive :)

So first, an e30 m3 jack. I haven't even see a picture of one ever before this one. I was very fortunate to find one after my first one didn't show up.

And...some drool worthy m3 front seats

I am leaning towards putting the black seats with the black m3 rear seat I've had in my 325i until I find a black rear parcel shelf for the m3. Then ill have everything to swap interiors over if I decide I want to rip out two carpets.

Also waiting to get back my refurbished AFM and si board from Greg.

Thanks for looking.
              Last edited by jhaurimn; 01-30-2014, 09:49 AM.
              Current:
              1989 325i
              1988 M3
              1987 325ic
              Past:
              2001 330ci
              2001 M3

Comment

Fender liners with hardware

Tesa harness tape, will wait until its warm to put on though.

Decent looking buttons to replace worn ones
                Last edited by jhaurimn; 01-30-2014, 09:44 AM.
                Current:
                1989 325i
                1988 M3
                1987 325ic
                Past:
                2001 330ci
                2001 M3

Comment

The connector you asked about is a factory/dealer diagnostic plug. For common DIYer it goes no where since we have no interface for it. It's a FAQ.

The jack looks like a common Bilstein manufactured one that VW and Audi also used during this time phase. Looks very much like the jack for my old B3 VR6 Passat had.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Is it possible to buy just the jack handle? I have the jack, but nothing to turn it with other than a set of vice grips. I'd kill to have the rest of the handle should I need to change a tire on the road.

Will
                    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                      The connector you asked about is a factory/dealer diagnostic plug. For common DIYer it goes no where since we have no interface for it. It's a FAQ.

The jack looks like a common Bilstein manufactured one that VW and Audi also used during this time phase. Looks very much like the jack for my old B3 VR6 Passat had.
                      Yeah I noticed that while browsing jacks on ecstuning. I doubt any of them are identical though which is important for tieing it down correctly, so it doesnt make a lot of racket in the back. And thanks for the info on the plug!

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                      Is it possible to buy just the jack handle? I have the jack, but nothing to turn it with other than a set of vice grips. I'd kill to have the rest of the handle should I need to change a tire on the road.

Will
                      They are still available. PM'd
                      Current:
                      1989 325i
                      1988 M3
                      1987 325ic
                      Past:
                      2001 330ci
                      2001 M3

Comment

Got some nice big packages yesterday.

Came with these seats

Which is nice because I've had all this sitting around for months now...

The rear seat needs some work towards the top. Also in this picture is the crackless dash waiting to be put in.

The jack also arrived, so I finally have a fully complete trunk of tools! :D

As I get ready to tackle some more work on the car I noticed a large lack of DIY's for the s14 compared to m20s/m42s etc. Well, I found a service manual online, nice. But I didnt want the site to go down one day and be screwed so I saved every single page indiviudally and printed everything out. Took awhile but it was worth it. Covers pretty much everything.

So now I need to decide what to do with the blank interior. The m3 has tan carpet and a tan rear pacel shelf, and I dont know if I want to dye those black or not yet. I want to be able to go back to stock, but the car isnt exactly a show car so I'm torn. I dont really want to rip the carpet out either. I might try and recondition my tan front seats first. That way I can throw the black interior into my 325i daily. Decisions...

Still working on some engine bay stuff, but next big purchase will be a complete cooling system overhaul. (hoses, thermostat, water pump, radiator, expansion tank)
                        Current:
                        1989 325i
                        1988 M3
                        1987 325ic
                        Past:
                        2001 330ci
                        2001 M3

Comment

pretty sure you can still get anthracite carpet. only color left I think

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                            pretty sure you can still get anthracite carpet. only color left I think
                            Getting a carpet isnt a problem, but actually putting it in is what im not looking forward to.
                            Current:
                            1989 325i
                            1988 M3
                            1987 325ic
                            Past:
                            2001 330ci
                            2001 M3

Comment

well you're swapping the dash anyway right? it's an M3 brah. do it once, do it completely.

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Ive been getting really antsy lately to bring the car back home. Im trying my best to stay patient. So I try and do what I can while the car is stored.

I found some tan e30 mats. These seem to be tricky to find. I tried to clean them up a bit but I didnt make much of a difference. Anyone know a really good way to clean carpetted floor mats? I am going to try my best not to make these any dirtier.

I got my refurbished AFM and si board back from greg. The afm is looking 999x better then it did before, not to mention functioning much better as well.

So now I have a problem...my afm looks great. But theres no way I can put it back in with the air filter housing looking like this.

I tried restoring this already by cleaning it and applying engine bay dressing. That did nothing. So after scraping off some of the paint layer that was on there, I used the 50/50 boiled linseed oil/paint thinner method. I was pretty surprised by the results.

Everything looks so much better than before now, and is up to par with how I want the rest of my engine bay to look when completed.
                                Current:
                                1989 325i
                                1988 M3
                                1987 325ic
                                Past:
                                2001 330ci
                                2001 M3

Comment

Working...
                                X