No announcement yet.

DIY: Black Plastic Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to give it a try on some bumper trim pieces, thanks for the tip!

Comment

This worked great, but I found that it attracted a lot of dust, particularly on the underhood plastics.
      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

I did the bumper trim and grill, and right off it looks much fresher than it was.
        BEFORE:

AFTER:

I guess this is kind of old news seeing how good it works, but the real interesting stuff will be seeing how it holds up, as my car sits in the sun (nearly) all day. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by EtaDriven View Post
          I did the bumper trim and grill, and right off it looks much fresher than it was.
          BEFORE:

AFTER:

I guess this is kind of old news seeing how good it works, but the real interesting stuff will be seeing how it holds up, as my car sits in the sun (nearly) all day. ;)
          Keep us updated. Im curious how it will hold up to the sun all day
          Current:
          1989 325i
          1988 M3
          1987 325ic
          Past:
          2001 330ci
          2001 M3

Comment

great write up will try it tomorrow...
            sigpic

Comment

I'm doing this tomorrow. All my plastics are grey, faded, or white from someone doing who knows what.

Comment

Is there anything like this that you can do to the interior like dash, center console, etc to replenish it and make it less brittle and squeaky?

Comment

Before and after. Worked like a charm. Now I want to wipe it everywhere that looks old and hope for another miracle.
                  Last edited by Mahalaleel; 10-25-2016, 02:00 PM. Reason: Dammit huge images

Comment

Originally posted by Mahalaleel View Post

Before and after. Worked like a charm. Now I want to wipe it everywhere that looks old and hope for another miracle.
                    Looks great man. The drains near the windshield wipers, door handles, little black rings around the door locks all will benefit from it.. I haven't come across something for the interior thats been amazing so far.
                    Current:
                    1989 325i
                    1988 M3
                    1987 325ic
                    Past:
                    2001 330ci
                    2001 M3

Comment

Your before and afters look great! :up:

Originally posted by Mahalaleel View Post
                      Is there anything like this that you can do to the interior like dash, center console, etc to replenish it and make it less brittle and squeaky?
                      303 Aerospace Protectant worked really well for treating my dashboard and any interior vinyl (centre console, door cards, etc.). It soaked in easily and made everything look "healthier" for lack of a better word, without looking too shiny. It looks just as nice and glossy over a month later. I didn't get before and after pictures, but it also worked well on the exterior black plastic trim.

1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
                      Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

+1 on the 303 for interior plastics. I've recently done some research on the best stuff to use and it comes highly recommended.
                        1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Well after a few months (as expected) the nice "new" finish has faded off considerably.. TBH it still looks a little better than it did in places, and I didn't really expect a permanent fix or anything so I'm still pretty happy.
                          How she currently sits:

That 303 looks incredible on the interior stuff. I may have to try that sometime too.. ;D

Comment

Looks like an interesting option to clean them up. I was going to offer that 303 works great on the exterior trim pieces.

I haven't tried this, but would recommend that anyone that cleans their plastics up using the method in this thread then follows that up with application of 303 Aerospace protectant. It will actually help prevent the discoloration and UV damage that you start to see.

My plastics weren't as bad as some in here, but I found that a good cleaning of mine with a mild detergent (dish soap, or whatever you choose, could be just about anything) and then application of the 303 with a periodic touch up does just fine. For more severely discolored plastics, the write up in this thread may be necessary.
                            drvn2wn

Comment

Originally posted by DRVN2WN View Post
                              Looks like an interesting option to clean them up. I was going to offer that 303 works great on the exterior trim pieces.

I haven't tried this, but would recommend that anyone that cleans their plastics up using the method in this thread then follows that up with application of 303 Aerospace protectant. It will actually help prevent the discoloration and UV damage that you start to see.

My plastics weren't as bad as some in here, but I found that a good cleaning of mine with a mild detergent (dish soap, or whatever you choose, could be just about anything) and then application of the 303 with a periodic touch up does just fine. For more severely discolored plastics, the write up in this thread may be necessary.
                              Just picked up a set of Euro Grilles, going to do the 50/50 method then after thats wiped clean, going to spray with the 303, hopefully that will keep it looking nice and new.
                              If I had to live my life over, I'd live over a Saloon" - WC Fields

Garage
                              1991 325i
                              1972 R75/5 Cafe

Comment

Technically there is no permanent fix. These plastics do require some maintenance. Since I purchased all new trim when my car got repaints, I've been maintaining it with either Aerospace 303 or wolf's trim coat. Awesome products for moisturizing and replenishing some of the oils that the UV rays take away.

Comment

Working...
                                X