2003 Civic Engine Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Civic Engine Trouble

Since r3v is full of crazy knowledgeable mofo's and whatnot, I figured I would run this by you all.

My wife's car is a 2003 Civic LX (SOHC 1.7L auto) with just under 205k miles on it. It's about due for its 2nd timing belt replacement too.

This morning we drove to get some brunch and when I got back to the car and started it, it seemed to idle on 3 cylinders (rough idle, raw gas smell). It went away after about 10 seconds. We went elsewhere, parked and returned to the car. Same deal as before with running on 3 cylinders and I smelled hot coolant. At no point did it overheat as we drove 20 miles home.

We got home and I popped the hood. There was some coolant sprayed all over in the area by the expansion tank and the expansion tank had coolant all the way to the top. I check the fluids every month or two and it is usually 12-14" lower than that, near the "cold" line. I removed the oil fill cap and looked around. No funny smells, no milky anything. The coolant looked and smelled fairly normal too. The feed and return hoses to the radiator were both hot, so I doubt that there is a clog.

I pulled the spark plugs. Cylinders 1-3 looked fine and #4 was brownish-red/black and sooty. My assumption at this point is that there is a pinhole leak in the head gasket through which combustion gases are pushing into the coolant system. Maybe cylinder 4 gets some coolant in it when the engine is off and that causes misfires until it boils off? The engine check light is also on now, but I don't have a code reader.

Anyway, anyone have any theories other than a faulty HG? If it is that, what can I expect to pay at the dealer for a HG replacement? It needs a timing belt anyway, and she had the dealer do the first one ~6 years ago for $600. I've done HG jobs on my E30 and swapped engines and stuff, but with her car I don't have the interest or energy to a HG repair so I am thinking of taking it to the dealer and having them deal with it, and I am not worried about getting ripped off since they would have to give me a work list before starting.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Sounds like a bad HG pressurizing the cooling system. Remove the radiator cap and run the car, look for bubbles.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Yeah, that seems like the next logical step. I was not getting bubbles in the expansion tank with the car running, but I didn't check the radiator cap.

Here is a shot of the 4 plugs. I thought that burning coolant was supposed to make the plugs white/green. What does the brownish-red color on #4 mean? I replaced these about 20k miles ago.

Comment

I am sure a dealer will want like 3 grand to do it find an indy or do it yourself its a 4cyl so shouldn't be too bad
        1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
        2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
        2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

You can also get a block tester from a parts store. It's a device that you fill with a liquid that will change color in the presence of hydrocarbons.

You remove the radiator cap and stick it into the fill neck while the motor is running. If the color changes, you need to pull the head.

Being that it's a civic, it's a very easy job as far as head gaskets go.
          No E30 Club
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Wait $600 for a single cam timing belt on a civic??

Comment

Hmm, I guess that it looks like more work than it actually is? I did the head on my M42 and it was cake since there is no EGR and virtually nothing in the way. The Civic has hoses, wire looms and other shit all over the place.

Yeah, $600 for the dealer to do the timing belt in 2008 or so. We had only been dating for a little bit back then and I had never bothered to look under her car's hood. Having done 4 or 5 M42 timing chain overhauls across a few cars by that point, $600 to have it all settled and done in a day seemed reasonable. Besides, she was paying for it! But yeah, from reading the service manual, the Civic's timing belt looks a hell of a lot easier than an M42 timing chain, mostly because of the lack of a 22mm bolt torqued to 240ft-lbs.

Comment

Relatively easy job, my old bubbleback had a HG fail, had it changed in 4hrs start to finish, just cleaned up the surfaces really well, could see the clear failure in the gasket, so slap together with new bolts etc. It didn't cost much in parts, these are simple motors without any special tools or tricks, just line everything up like the DIY's or manual says and you're good.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Confirmed by gas/chemical test on the coolant. It's the HG. We seem to have caught it very early on, so hopefully it's just a matter of getting the head decked and replacing the gaskets and timing stuff.

The dealer quoted me $1200 for the timing belt+water pump+valve adjustment+plugs. LOL already. Then they said that it would be an extra $1100 - 1600 for the HG repair. Bigger LOL. I am going to go get the car from them tomorrow and take it to an independent shop, unless they can be convinced to not double-charge me on labor since the service adviser seemed convinced that the timing belt's $600 in labor somehow did not overlap with the HG repair. Hell, I still think I will go elsewhere since they would be charging too much even at $600 off.

Doing it myself isn't an option right now unfortunately. Too much going on at work, and I need a break from engine rebuilds thanks to the E30.

Comment

k24a2 swap

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Ha. Not sure I want to give my wife's car any more power. She has literally never once floored it in the 11 years she has had it. That and she belongs to a demographic that, uhh, doesn't have the best driving reputation.

Comment

Asian. I said it.
                        No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                          Woman. I said it.

There fixed that for ya to be less racially inflamtory
                          Originally posted by Fusion
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

Comment

Now it's sexist. Your way pisses off far more people.

What I learned, zero fucks given.
                            No E30 Club

Comment

Well both are correct yup zero fucks given
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                              X