Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lost a cam to Castrol when the sunburst went onto it in about 2007-
    30 wt oil that I had used 3 or 4 times previously with success
    for engine break in ate the cam over a race weekend in Portland.

There.

It happened at least once.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      I lost a cam to Castrol when the sunburst went onto it in about 2007-
      30 wt oil that I had used 3 or 4 times previously with success
      for engine break in ate the cam over a race weekend in Portland.

There.

It happened at least once.

t
      "It couldn't have been the oil, I use Castrol Edge 0W-60 and change it every 1,000 miles and it's never had that much metal in it most times!" - at least one person
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        nice - the TurboDiesel truck 5W-40 is also a good bet. I started using that on my M20 a while back, it's a little better if you live in a colder climate and don't really need a heavy oil. It's harder to find though.
        The TD truck is what I use in a (very different) engine, as recommended by one of the foremost experts for that brand. It has quieted down the notorious intermediate shaft nicely as a side benefit.

I just saw that I'd started a nice.. uh, discussion, with Corvallis way back when.

Zinc content concerns were different, back then, but the theory about the higher shear resistance for the valvetrain as described by some is still there. My concerns about engine start wear also didn't change.

I have, since, visited with Blackstone and the owner there shared his opinion on the matter: he said that ZDDP content, after all is said and done, is what it comes down to for all practical purposes [for these engines]. If we combine all these bits and pieces with the current chart, it would seem that 0W40 or, yes, the 5W40 TD is the best bet. One significant advantage of the TD locally is that it's about half the money of the 15W50 - and more stores stock it.

Or one could go with the Bertolli. On the street, changing it every 5000 miles...

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
          Ugh, so much misinfo. And it really scares me, because a lot of people are running these stupid oils in E30s and ruining the motors.

10W-40 for cold weather (like less than 50F)
          20W-50 for warm weather (above 50F)

This is as per all BMW manuals, including the owner's.
          Truth here folks
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
            Truth here folks
            not really, why use a 20W when you can get a 5W-50, 10W-50 or 15W-50 in 2017, this isnt the 80's so many quality oils to choose from
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Winter: 10W40 or thereabouts
              Summer: 20W50 or thereabouts
              Just check the book.

From the bentley:
              Last edited by Sea Aych; 03-13-2017, 01:59 PM.
              1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
              1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
              1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
              My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

This is the never ending debate. I bet it will continue another 9 years.
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Aych View Post
                  Winter: 10W40 or thereabouts
                  Summer: 20W50 or thereabouts
                  Just check the book.

From the bentley:
                  When this book was made, high ZDDP 0w-40 and 5w-50 oils didn't even exist.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                    This is the never ending debate. I bet it will continue another 9 years.
                    Only 9 years? It'll be forever...

Comment

you probably wont find any OEM manufacturer of road vehicles recommending 20W-50 for any engine, there isnt anything about a stock m20 that needs anything special IMO.
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

1) Manual is outdated by now
                        2) Still only have 1 listed failure due to oil, due more to different formula and specific uncommon use (break-in) than "bad oil"

I'm using an oil I know has enough ZDDP and has been objectively highly-rated and recommended (and because it's great for cold starts). Others use oils because they've had plenty of good experiences with them. I really haven't seen any specific cases where an oil caused a failure under normal road use. It almost.....seems like a discussion on the internet has boiled down to meaningless overanalysis of minute details?

....Nah.
                        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          When this book was made, high ZDDP 0w-40 and 5w-50 oils didn't even exist.
                          Good point actually - skipped a few pages and missed those posts
                          1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
                          1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
                          1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
                          My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

So bottom line for a rookie
                            20w50 or
                            15w40 for summer driving only and i suppose it doesn't matter what brand...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rustneversleeps View Post
                              20w50 or
                              I have been using Shell Rotella 15W40 year round forever. It's only problematic when the temp drops below 10F. I'm debating switching over to 5W40, but haven't done so because only a few days out of the year the temp drops that low where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by rustneversleeps View Post
                                20w50 or
                                Yes, I use Bizol personally, but used to use Valvoline before I switched.
                                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                                X