1985 325e | M60b40 | Fifty Shades of Bronzit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 325e | M60b40 | Fifty Shades of Bronzit

--Bare with me as I update the mess that Photobucket left me with. Switching to Flickr slowly but surely. 4 years of pictures and words are a lot to update--

Yesterday (Feb 2014), around 11 am I went to pick up the first e30 in our family.. a 1985 325e. 5 speed. Bronzitbeige Metallic. Pearl Beige sport interior.

$550.

Doesn't run but I'm stoked.

One freezing 35 minutes later and we had tow-strapped the e30 to it's rescuing home. The windows were stuck down and it was snowing during the travel home. I got the lucky job of steering and braking the e30.

The car had been owned by one family for it's whole life, and the previous owner pulled it into his garage to change the water pump... 6 years later it still had the old water pump on it and 6 years of dust. Thankfully there was a decent amount of air in the tires so no flat spots, but it needs a bit of work.

What's else is wrong with it?

Its dirty, filled with trash, maybe even a few critters. It hasn't been ran in years, it needs a fluid flush everywhere, the water pump still needs to be replaced, as does the timing belt. Fuel line to the fuel filter leaks a little bit. And there is an inconvenient dent in the hood and fender. And the driver seat is twisted. That's all we know of so far, it's a decent start. So after pulling it in to the garage, I started cleaning.

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures from the original Craigslist ad:

I think the pictures above tell you everything. The car was not cared for and I am going to change that above piece of junk into something much better:

But we'll get to that later.
    Last edited by ArtFoodBMW; 11-29-2017, 10:30 PM.

Pictures from when we brought her home. The logical first step was to start cleaning and repairing.

Also picked up some non-dented panels, for temporary coverage.

The previous owner ran the passenger front corner into a trailer, smooshing the fender, hood, and core support. These items will be better addressed later on.

All of the fluids have been flushed except the brakes, which should be happening today. It runs as well. We had the car up on jack stands and ran through all the gears. It sounds great!

Actually got the car on the roads today, and it drives pretty well. There is a rumble in lower rpm's of the lower three gears, we suspect it's from a bad guibo and engine/tranny mounts.

Detailing continues. Paint correction is proving well for the areas that have paint.

Last edited by ArtFoodBMW; 12-03-2017, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Did I mention that i "fixed" the twisted seat problem? I took the seat apart and jumped a little bit on the backrest and it magically turned straight! But in the process of putting it back together I broke the two screw mounting plates that connect the back rest to the base of the seat, and now it can't support itself.. And the metal frame in the base is broken in two spots so now I have to pull the seat back forward to move the seat around. It's really irritating.

Does anyone know if I can take the seat frame from a non sport seat and switch over the leather and sportyness of my seat to it? Thanks

Comment

Nice job! :pimp:

Comment

I had a terrible idea. I purchased a steam cleaner, and tried it out on my seats.

Look at how filthy these things are!

Last edited by ArtFoodBMW; 12-03-2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Also, my wipers decided they no longer wanted to work, and its pouring rain outside. That made for a fun ride to class this morning. Ill check the fuse when I get home later today.

The engine mounts, tranny mounts, driveline guibo, and center support bearing all got replaced yesterday. Now my car is smoother than ever before! There used to be a rough shaking in lower rpms of 2nd and 3rd gear, that's gone now :)

Comment

Sub'd... Another bronzit in Boise. Well 1/2 bronzit.

Comment

what steam cleaner did you buy?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                  what steam cleaner did you buy?
                  Craftsmen Steam cleaner/pressure washer for 150$ ;)

Comment

I went to another pick-part yard today, got a fender (bronzit one without rust), fan and fan clutch, and a bumper lip. 50$. Pretty decent deal if you ask me. Color matched at last

And I some various relays to fix my wiper problem.

Replaced the dashboard. Cleaned up the diving boards. Tucked the front

Last edited by ArtFoodBMW; 12-03-2017, 08:12 PM.

Comment

that paint cleaned up nice! looks awesome

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbag30 View Post
                        that paint cleaned up nice! looks awesome
                        Thanks

I'm thinking about plastidipping my wheels white... Is that acceptable? I figure it's a cheap way to have the rims look clean for two minutes until I drive it.

Comment

I painted my stock wheels white and really liked them. Although I have a zinno car not a bronzit.

I like the fender!

Comment

Wow I was about to say "looks like you've got your work cut out for you" but now it looks like you've tackled it head-on! Huge improvement so far (didn't even realize this was the same car from your other thread at first).

Keep it up!

Comment

I'd try to get an eraser wheel to remove the pin stripe if it is not painted.

Comment

Working...
                              X