Need some opinions/help with my brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some opinions/help with my brakes

So my brake light has been flickering on and off lately and pretty sure my brake pads are done. Currently broke at the moment and can't afford a complete brake upgrade/tune up (new hoses, new pads, new discs, new sensors). Was wondering what do you guys think if I just replace the pads along with flushing my old brake fluid and putting new brake fluid ?
    FS: Plug n Play Second Trunk Light !
    My Parts for Sale Thread~

x 1984 325e 2.7i ~ CastroMotorsport Built x Daily Driven

That's a lot safer than doing nothing, as long as the rotors aren't totally shot.

I often do this too, if I'm pretty sure everything else is ok.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

If you're 100% broke you should ask in your regional section if anyone has a decent set of used pads. Used pads will be just as good/bad as new pads on old rotors.

If your sensors are causing a light you can join the wires outboard of the plug to make the light go off.

Comment

i'm not 100 percent broke but I was thinking of picking up some cheap brake pads from autozone. I already have a brand new can of ate dot 4 brake fluid so I would just be picking up some pads. I'm not sure how to inspect my rotors for any signs of wear tho.

Comment

Here's a checklist to check your rotors:

You can get rotors from Rockauto for around $15 each (not Brembos, of course) and pad sets for less than $10 for front or rear. That's seriously cheap.

Remember, it's your life on the line. I recommend cutting money from other aspects and investing in something that will protect you.

You can get used pads from pick n pulls for dirt cheap too. My local pick n pull only charges $1 per pad.
          P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

Originally posted by badwella View Post
            Here's a checklist to check your rotors:

You can get rotors from Rockauto for around $15 each (not Brembos, of course) and pad sets for less than $10 for front or rear. That's seriously cheap.

Remember, it's your life on the line. I recommend cutting money from other aspects and investing in something that will protect you.

You can get used pads from pick n pulls for dirt cheap too. My local pick n pull only charges $1 per pad.
            Sweet. That inspection list is so helpful. Thanks for that, I will check them tomorrow morning. And yeah I've seen rotors for cheap but I rather just save up to get some brembos or zimmermans by next month or so along with everything else for the brakes.

Comment

my machine shop turns my rotors for $13@ and he actually recommends turning new ones since they are rarely true. Bww says don't turn them but as long as they are above a certain thickness it's fine
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by unitt01 View Post
                Sweet. That inspection list is so helpful. Thanks for that, I will check them tomorrow morning. And yeah I've seen rotors for cheap but I rather just save up to get some brembos or zimmermans by next month or so along with everything else for the brakes.
                IMO, the cheap rotors aren't going to be an issue unless you drive aggressively or track your car. However, I wouldn't buy a no-name/off-brand brake pad, and would spend the extra on that aspect of the system while running off the shelf Valvoline DOT4.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  IMO, the cheap rotors aren't going to be an issue unless you drive aggressively or track your car. However, I wouldn't buy a no-name/off-brand brake pad, and would spend the extra on that aspect of the system while running off the shelf Valvoline DOT4.
                  Yeah you have a point but I do drive pretty spiritually at times.. And of course buying a off brand brake pad is sketchy as is to why I mentioned autozone since their duralast brake pads aren't that bad. (my dad and I have been using those pads for the last couple of years on our pickup and suv with no issues so far)but when I do go all out on upgrading my brakes I want to pick up some Hawk HPS Street pads which have a ton of good reviews. As for brake fluid I picked up some ATE typ 200 Dot 4 a while back as to complete my purchase with free shipping lol

Comment

I do drive pretty spiritually
                    I go with Budda...

hee

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Remember, it's EVERYONE'S life on the line. I recommend cutting money from other aspects and investing in something that will protect you.

Don't be selfish.
                      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Made me think that one should blatantly steal them, and run out shouting "you'll never stop me!"

Comment

See if the rotors are within spec and pad smack that shit!!, new fluid is obviously good too. 2 year maintenance item on the fluid, some people at the dealer have legitimately black fluid and it's still okay for "normal" driving so it's not the biggest concern but obviously not optimal- particularly if you beat on the brakes
                          BMW tech
                          Umass Amherst
                          05 wrx sti

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                            I go with Budda...

hee

t
                            'Spirit-ly' lol i blame autocorrect.

So the rotors seem to be in acceptable shape so I will just be changing the pads and fluid although my brake lines do have wear..

Now time to save up and work some overtime haha

Comment

Its funny, I'm on the other side of the country but I must have about ten sets of rotors and calipers and pads. All used takeoffs from cars I've dismantled. A lot of the stuff I have I'm willing to give away to anyone here on R3v but it is pick up only
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X